Samsung LE40R74BDX Upscaling

ElvisLives

I am soon to be the owner of a Toshiba HDE1 HD DVD player, that also upscales DVDs via HDMI. I am also going to get a 40" Samsung. I already own a Samsung 26", and it's resolution is, like the 40", 1366x768. I upscale on the 26" using the xbox 360 and VGA, but i have changed the resolution to fit the screen at 1366x768.

The question is, will upscaling be as good via HDMI if i can not choose an option for it to be at 1388x768? Or will it automatically convert to that resolution? A little help would be appreciated.

T

tricky1974

I've a 32r74 and upscaling my dvd player through hdmi gets rid of some picture noise I don't know about the tosh though

Peopleselbowpad

If you have a DVD player that can output 480i/576i by HDMI then your Tv upscales the image to match your TV's Native. Problems occur when the picture is scaled Twice, once by the player and once by the TV. So if you output 720p say the player scales the image 480i/576i to 720p then your TV 720p to 768p. Hope thats clear. This can result in noise being artificially added to the picture which is often blamed on the disc.

DVD player which output 1366x768 are very rare and then you rely on the screen being capable of 1:1 Pixel Mapping by HDMI.

Best judges about letting the TV do the scaling or a combination are your eyes and proper calibration of the screen.

Bit of a read but helpful

http://www.oppodigital.com/Getting-Most-out-of-DVD-on-HDTV-Display.html

The question is, will upscaling be as good via HDMI if i can not choose an option for it to be at 1388x768? Or will it automatically convert to that resolution? A little help would be appreciated.
Resolution isn't the only deciding factor, I've not used the 360 myself for DVD playback but I've heard that it doesn't always do a very good job. I think regardless of what the answer to that question is, the HD-E1's upscaling might still look a little better.

T

tricky1974

Just thought I'd add with my panny plasma and panny lcd I don't use the upscaling in my other dvd players I think my samsung r74 isn't very good at standand def pictures so using a upscaling dvd player softens the picture and I can't notice as much noise but as rule you should let the panel your using do the scaling (it still is anyway whatever you feed into it).

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom