• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Samsung LE40R74BD - native resolution and PC resolution

P

PrettyGreen

I have my pc connected to my LE40R74BD by DVI-HDMI. I have the resolution set at 1366 x 768, which is the native resolution of the tv I believe, but when I run an application fullscreen, such as PowerDVD, it is too big for the screen, with boreders, menus etc disappearing offscreen. Reducing the resolution doesn't help either. Any ideas?

JonnyTester

I have my pc connected to my LE40R74BD by DVI-HDMI. I have the resolution set at 1366 x 768, which is the native resolution of the tv I believe, but when I run an application fullscreen, such as PowerDVD, it is too big for the screen, with boreders, menus etc disappearing offscreen. Reducing the resolution doesn't help either. Any ideas?

I think that those settings (actually 1360x768) are for VGA, not HDMI/DVI. I have my pc connected by DVI>HDMI cable from an Nvidia 7600 card and I cannot even get near those settings. I have to run the video card a @ 1920x1080 and while the pc picture looks awful, video (especially x264 mkv video) looks fabulous. Although I agree the pc picture is slightly too big for the tv screen.

oldnewbie

It specifically mentions in the manual that the best connection for pc use is vga, I have mine connected by vga 1360 by 768 @ 60htz and the picture is pin sharp and no over or under scan issues, I would just use a dvi to vga lead like I have :thumbsup:

Bossk128

Bit of a thread resurrection, but relevant! I've just been gifted a LE40R74BD and i fancy using it as a PC gaming monitor: I know it's low res but I'm willing to compare 22" 1080p to 40" 720p and see how it fares:)

Is there anyway to get decent IQ ideally via HDMI using AMD catalyst control panel? I'll try a VGA cable as mentioned above but I've already got an HDMI in place. Video looks good, I haven't tried a game yet, but text and browsing is pretty rubbish.

Specifically, I want minimal processing from the TV and accurate sharp text. I can't see how to specify 1360x768 in the GPU driver, not how to enable a 'dot by dot' mode on the TV.

Anybody got any tips? Cheers.

Bossk128

Pretty cut and dried. VGA at 720 is far superior!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom