Samsung LE40R73BD vs Samsung LE40R88BD - totally confused, please help!!

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by bignige, Apr 20, 2007.

Tags:
  1. bignige

bignige

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I've been very happy with my 32" Samsung LE32R41BDX, but am considering upgrading to a 40" TV

All these Samsung TV's are totally confusing me. Please be gentle!
    Samsung LE40R73BD vs Samsung LE40R88BD
    I'm thinking of buying 1 of the above, is this a good choice? I'm not too fussed on 1080p which is why I've narrowed it down to the above 2.

• I will be using Xbox 360 over vga, any problems with this?
    • Is there much difference between the 2?
    • Is it the same TV with more inputs etc?
    • With regards to the screen do these 2 suffer from the the panel lottery?
    • Which one is most likely to have a S-PVA screen?
    • Owners of these TV's are you happy? Any problems, anything else I should be aware of?
    • Should I be considering any other TV?

Sorry for all the questions, I really do need guidance, all these Samsung threads are making my head spin!
    Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. bignige

bignige

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Anyone?

3. Blackbolt360

Blackbolt360

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +794
    Be patient, there was only 4 hours between posts.

The R73 is older, it has 1 HDMI and while indept settings, not as indepth as the R88.

The R88 has 3 x HDMI ports, extra sharpness functions for the VGA port, black Level settings, better Back Lighting settings. Newer Samsung Firmware. Its a newer TV released this march.

I recommend the R88. I am getting mine this sunday for primarily Xbox 360 usage. If you are wanting to use the Xbox 360 over VGA, I highly recommend the R88 because it has PC Theatre settings, these allow better calibration for VGA Input. Also Microsoft are releasing an update for the dashboard on May 7th, this will include many VGA fixes that improve sharpness further! So its win win with the R88.

4. bignige

bignige

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thanks for the reply, I only bumped because it disppeared from the front
    page, but yes, perhaps I was a bit too impatient. :thumbsup:
    Where are you getting yours from? Aren't you worried about getting a duff screen? Have you taken any measures to make sure you get a S-PVA?!

5. alogo

alogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello guys! First of all thanks to all of you that post on this thread and made me understand what a ripoff i had in my hands! Currently i own a Samsung le32r73bdx which (of course) has the cmo panel in it. After speaking to the manager at my local Currys he agreed on doing an exchange for me. Now i am between the samsung le40r73 or the sony kdl32s2530. Now about the 40" sammy i know that it has a sammy panel but one of the reviews i was reading the other day said that it had terrible motion smearing on hd sources Like ps3 and sky hd. Can someone tell me if these standings are correct? And if so should i go for the sony and spend a fortune since it is so expenssive? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh! by the way. Go to the shop speak to the manager and mention to them that it is false advertising and punishable with the law. That was what i did and now tomorrow i am going for an exchange!

6. Blackbolt360

Blackbolt360

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +794
    I already have the crappy CMO panel in the R73 I have now. Currys are exchanging it for an R88 on sunday. If it has an S-PVA, I have been given full clearance to return it to them and go from there. Either refund or a totally new tv. I am hoping that I get an AMO or S-PVA panel. But knowing my luck I won't.

7. JJK80

JJK80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Blackbolt360,

Little correction: You probably mean, that you are hoping to get an A-MVA (AM0*) or S-PVA (SP0*) panel type.