Samsung LE40R73BD making clicking noise and won't power on

carrtim1

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi ya

I have a Samsung LE40R73BD LCD TV and it is 2 years old. This week it has started to not power on straight away.

When you press the power button or press the remote control standby button, the panel's red LED dims, it clicks, the LED goes bright again and then repeats itself. After around 5 minutes of it doing this in a loop the panel suddenly powers up ok.

I've noticed it only does it if the panel is in standby for more than 10 minutes (seeing as you can't actually turn it off unless by turning off the power at the plug socket).

I've gone into the engineers menu and done a reset but it still does the same. Does anyone know what is causing this and how I can fix it please? I've contacted the nearest authorised repair center to me and they want £85+VAT just to diagnose it!

Many thanks.

Hi

That could be a problem with the power board. Recommend an engineer's visit, contact Samsung direct - it might be cheaper.

Alan

Hi ya

Thanks for you reply. I contacted Samsung yesterday and they have agreed to fix it free of charge - phew! Although this might not be fixed until the new year due to christmas period.

This morning it wouldn't turn on at all, just clicking so had to go and buy a new panel. My daughter will be happy as she can have the current faulty one once it's repaired.

Hi all

I've got exactly the same model and problem, called samsung and after using all the charm in the world they still refered me to our local service shop (£85+).

Was there anything you said or did that swayed them as he was sure that samsung would never offer to do the repair for free?

Ash

Hi Ash

Sorry for the delay. I've been ill with the flu bug. What you need to do is ring Samsung UK and ask reception to transfer you to the Executive Office (also known as Customer Relations). I don't know how long you have had your set but explain that you would expect a product such as this to last somewhat longer than it already has and considering the orginal cost back then you feel cheated. Say you were going to buy a new Samsung panel for your say bedroom but now your considering another manufacturer as your confidence in Samsung has been severely knocked. They should do a free of charge repair as a returning customer.

I have also been watching a thread on another site and a guy on there said to replace the power supply board on the PCB to resolve the issue. This costs £120 for the part. That's if Samsung still do no play ball.

Tim

Woop woop!

Cracking news got an engineer coming out through currys.

Didn't have to resort to talking to the big wigs just one of the tech guys helped me out, told him it was out of warranty and explained what I thought it was. I used an Email that I composed from different peoples opinion of what the faults maybe for reference, that was due to be sent to customer enquiries but didn't even need to.

I don't know the forum rules but I will post the Email for anyone to use for reference or to send and apologise in advance if I've been naughty. Hopefully it might help:-

Dear sir/madam

After recent communications with your enquiries call centre, I have been recommended to send an Email to inform you of my situation, so you could reply with the required instruction saying how we can organise for a visit from one of your engineers to inspect the unit.

The TV that I purchased from you seems to have developed a fault and now refuses to turn on.
The inherent fault began when I turned it on as I usually do but instead of going from standby to on it began repeatedly flicking between on and standby for a few times and then powering up, this gradually got worse until eventually nothing it just constantly flickers.

The sets power supply probably has a safety mode and is switching the set off when it senses a faulty circuit trying to draw more than its share of current, so when it switches off it can’t see the fault anymore so switches back on for another look and just keeps repeating this process.

The few parts responsible for this could possibly be manufacturing fault in the power pcb board which is clearly not durable or fit for the means or maybe just the capacitors which are of inadequate voltage causing them to fail possibly, but this is just a guess. Without opening the unit (which I am not permitted to) I would not be able to confirm either.

I look forward to hearing from you with details of how to arrange for your engineers visit.

Thanks again Tim.

Ash.

Excellant Ash, glad things are getting sorted. Still cheeses you off though. I think it all depends who you get at the time of calling if they are willing to help or not.

Hi ya

Thanks for you reply. I contacted Samsung yesterday and they have agreed to fix it free of charge - phew! Although this might not be fixed until the new year due to christmas period.

This morning it wouldn't turn on at all, just clicking so had to go and buy a new panel. My daughter will be happy as she can have the current faulty one once it's repaired.

Hello I have the same model as you just this week I get the same problem lots of clicks and nothing suddenly the picture was on. I thought possibly was the hdmi from the amp but looking on the forum needs a repair.

Please could you tell me the number you contacted?

Thanks

Hi

I have the exact problem with my Samsung LE40R73BD , I also contacted Samsung who did,nt want to know, and gave me a service number who wanted £57 just for a call out fee. I have had my TV only 22 months which cost £1300, it's obvious that there seems to be this specific problem with model.

Hi

I have the exact problem with my Samsung LE40R73BD , I also contacted Samsung who did,nt want to know, and gave me a service number who wanted £57 just for a call out fee. I have had my TV only 22 months which cost £1300, it's obvious that there seems to be this specific problem with model.

Capacitors in the power supply can cause this fault if you can replace the following it may cure the problem.

CS806
CS807
CS808
CM811
CM812
CM817

From what I can find out they are all 1000uF 10V. I don't have a service manual to check the value's but I hope it helps.

I have exactly the same problem. after 25 month. It seems a default problem with this model.
What would be the best way to convince Samsung to deal with this problem with no extra charges.

Sara

I bought 3 of these samsung LE40R73BD, and 2 have developed the same fault around the 24 month mark. I contaced samsung as has been suggested, and straight away they said they don't cover it. I asked to speak to a manager, and e-mail higher up the chain, and got a call back from a customer relations manager who said even though I had spent £4500 on Samsung equipment a little over two years ago, then there was nothing they could do. They also stated that this is a one off fault (so why did it happen on both of my tv's?) and that there is nothing more they can do, other thanpass on the local repair agents number, at £130 per hour!!! For your own sake AVOID SAMsUNG and all there goods, because this is definately the last time I will buy anything samsung! From mobile phone right up to amercian fridge freezers. :thumbsdow

I had the same problem on a 46" Samsung LCD. It was 18 months old with no extended warranty. Didn't think I would need one after spending £1600 on a top of the range set. Contacted Samsung to see if they had any compassion with the fact that this seems to be an 'inherent' fault but they denied all knowledge and just stated that they only give 12 months warranty like all other tv manufacturers. Dont think I'll be buying Samsung again. Anyway, the problem lies in the power supply where you'll find faulty capacitors. Take the back off the set, lay it flat first, and the power supply is virtually in the centre of the tv, covered by a big shield. Remove the shield, and look for the faulty capacitors. These are easily identified. If you look at the top of all the capacitors you'll see some where the tops are bulging and sometimes discoloured with leakage. Just replace these as I did and the problem is sorted. The ones I had to replace were 1000uf 10volt. You have to remove the board to do this, again 7 or 8 screws. Cheap fix if you are handy with a soldering iron. Hope this helps.

Hi ya

I have a Samsung LE40R73BD LCD TV and it is 2 years old. This week it has started to not power on straight away.

When you press the power button or press the remote control standby button, the panel's red LED dims, it clicks, the LED goes bright again and then repeats itself. After around 5 minutes of it doing this in a loop the panel suddenly powers up ok.

I've noticed it only does it if the panel is in standby for more than 10 minutes (seeing as you can't actually turn it off unless by turning off the power at the plug socket).

I've gone into the engineers menu and done a reset but it still does the same. Does anyone know what is causing this and how I can fix it please? I've contacted the nearest authorised repair center to me and they want £85+VAT just to diagnose it!

Many thanks.

Mine is doing the same, after just 28 months. Can we say this a manufacturer's fault. Is the product of satisfactory quality then and fit for purpose. Curry's said they need an independent engineer to support that the Fault is not due to wear and tear. Personally I would expect a TV that I pay a £1000 to last more than 28 months and considering the number of compains here I just feel cheated. I called SAMSUNG and they don't wanna hear anything about. There Customer service is rubbish. The authorised dealer is quoting me more than £200.

Grumpy Old Troll helped to sort out mine. He did a wonderful job for me but unfortunately his post was deleted because he was being accused of soliciting for business. He is helping with making a claim from Currys under the Sales Goods Act. Hope this will successful.

Thank you Jonathan.

Sadly, my post was deleted for the reason stated.

As I have pointed out to the moderators, my post was in no way intended to "solicit for business". The deleted post was in response to yours, following the email I had received directly from you regarding us carrying out the repair on your behalf.

A senior moderator (Flimber) is currently looking at the infraction I received from 'Curly' for the alleged offence.

As I (and others) have pointed out previously in this thread, power supply faults are very common on these sets. So much so that this is considered to be a manufacturing defect in the trade. As such, the owner has a claim against the retailer under The Sale of Goods Act as not being 'fit for purpose'.

In order to make a claim under The 'SOGA', your local Trading Standards Department would instruct you to obtain an independent engineers report, confirming the fault and it's cause. Once this has been obtained you can quite rightly approach the retailer and make a claim against them under the 'SOGA'.

In most cases, once the retailer is aware you know your rights, they will not argue and simply pay up.

I deal with such cases day in, day out. And in almost every one, the retailer will co-operate fully.

So, rather than attempt a repair yourself, if you have a proof of purchase and your retailer is still trading, you have a claim against them to have the repair done professionally at no cost to yourself. Go about it the right way and you will get a result.

:thumbsup:

Thank you Jonathan.

As I have pointed out to the moderators, my post was in no way intended to "solicit for business". The deleted post was in response to yours, following the email I had received directly from you regarding us carrying out the repair on your behalf.

A senior moderator (Flimber) is currently looking at the infraction I received from 'Curly' for the alleged offence.

As I (and others) have pointed out previously in this thread, power supply faults are very common on these sets. So much so that this is considered to be a manufacturing defect in the trade. As such, the owner has a claim against the retailer under The Sale of Goods Act as not being 'fit for purpose'.

In order to make a claim under The 'SOGA', your local Trading Standards Department would instruct you to obtain an independent engineers report, confirming the fault and it's cause. Once this has been obtained you can quite rightly approach the retailer and make a claim against them under the 'SOGA'.

In most cases, once the retailer is aware you know your rights, they will not argue and simply pay up.

I deal with such cases day in, day out. And in almost every one, the retailer will co-operate fully.

So, rather than attempt a repair yourself, if you have a proof of purchase and your retailer is still trading, you have a claim against them to have the repair done professionally at no cost to yourself. Go about it the right way and you will get a result.

As grumpy old troll said i advise anybody who has this fault or ANY FAULT to claim under the sales of goods act 1979 as i did and won, even if i did not it was only gonna cost £150 to get repaired :thumbsup:

Thank you Jonathan.

I have had the exact same problem with my Samsung LE40R73BD and also had no extended guarantee.After feeling ripped off and looking for solutions online, I very nearly attempted a d.i.y repair.However after reading this post and looking into the sale of goods act (1979), I have managed to get Currys to pay for the repair.It took a lot of phone calls and running my t.v. to the local repair shop but after about 2 weeks the t.v. is fixed and it cost me nothing.
I'd like to say thank you grumpy old troll for your advice and would repeat to anyone else that if you go about it correctly you will get it repaired professionally and paid for by the retailer.

:clap:

Thank you Jonathan.

What if I purchased my set at Circuit City? :thumbsdow

They were the number 2 electronics chain here in the U.S. Yes, they filed bankruptcy around March I believe.

This is a UK based forum my friend and the advice relates to the law as it stands in the UK.

Unsure if it's similar in the US.

A local repairer should be able to repair your set reasonably cheaply But if you're in a nice part of the US, you pay for my flights (business of course) and 5* accommodation, I'll do it for free! :clap:

Note to mods -

This isn't "soliciting for business" either. It's tongue in cheek, a bit of fun.

OK? :hiya:

Good luck with it Ty18769.

This is a UK based forum my friend and the advice relates to the law as it stands in the UK.

Unsure if it's similar in the US.

A local repairer should be able to repair your set reasonably cheaply But if you're in a nice part of the US, you pay for my flights (business of course) and 5* accommodation, I'll do it for free! :clap:

Note to mods -

This isn't "soliciting for business" either. It's tongue in cheek, a bit of fun.

OK? :hiya:

Good luck with it Ty18769.

I'm aware this is a UK website, but it's renowned here in the states. I'll take into account the law of the land differences. I've done quite a bit of micro-min soldering, so I should be able to tackle it. Just don't want to. :/

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom