Samsung LE40R73BD making clicking noise and won't power on

lfcmonkey.

If you still have your receipt, then yes, you still have a claim under the SOGA.

But if you're going to repair it yourself, why bother?

@Grumpytroll what would you do? is it a simple process to replace them? what kind of turnaround would I be lookin at if I got Currys to do it?

Thanks, :thumbsup:

Many have done DIY repairs, according to threads on here.

Replacing the electrolytics on the power supply PCB will, more often than not, cure the fault. But as I have pointed out several times already - there are several other possible causes of the 'clicking' fault.

Curry's won't be interested in doing the job, they seem more than happy to pay you to have the work done. They are now paying people directly by BACS!

When we do them, the customer pays the for the repair and claims it back from Curry's with the report we provide. I've yet to see one who hasn't been repaid.

Any decent engineer should be more than capable of doing a quick, effective repair and be able to provide the relevant report to enable you to make a successful claim against Curry's. I don't know of anyone in the Donny area though - try the YP.

:)

mine was bought over the internet through Currys, could I still go instore to raise the issue onder the SOGA or do I have to take a different approach?

Mine was bought via Dixons online Feb '07.

I contact Dixons websales email address, and have received a reply stating:

Please could you provide us with a copy of your purchase receipt and anindependent engineer’s report, to assist our investigations. This reportmust state the nature of the fault, its probable cause, diagnosticprocedures used and the total cost of the repair showing a breakdown oflabour charges. If the Samsung LE40R73BD cannot be repaired, this must bestated. Please send the report to the following address:

As Dixons and Currys are pretty much one in the same, I would contact them directly in the first instance, and see what they say.

Cheers, Kdot.

I'm mid change and I have capacitors that say U7A on them, what microfarad does that refer to??

Nevermind, worked out they were 1000's. Job completed and tv turns on first time. Amazing!!!! better than Derren Brown predicting the lottery, can't believe it worked :D

Hi All,
Different make but not sure if exactly same problem.

I have a LE40R87BD Tv and when I turn it on I do get a clicky sound and it seems its trying to turn itself on and off for about 10 seconds or so, when the tv does come on I get some sort of noise (static) for about 3 seconds and then its fine, this only tends to happen when its turned on first thing in the morning although on a a very few occasions it has happened once the tv has been turned off during the day and back on again.

Hi All,
Different make but not sure if exactly same problem.

I have a LE40R87BD Tv and when I turn it on I do get a clicky sound and it seems its trying to turn itself on and off for about 10 seconds or so, when the tv does come on I get some sort of noise (static) for about 3 seconds and then its fine, this only tends to happen when its turned on first thing in the morning although on a a very few occasions it has happened once the tv has been turned off during the day and back on again.

Could be power supply related.

Thanks for reply :)

Was considering using either my computer lead or a lead from a kettle as they look like the same attachment, or am I just being completely stupid in thinking that?

Just trying to cover all my options lol

Update

Have used another power lead from another Samsung Tv and I still have the same problems as before.

It was just a thought I had incase there was a problem with the lead, was just trying to eliminate what I could.

Have been on the phone to Samsung now and have done a factory reset ( cant see thats gonna do anything ), will have to wait until tomorrow before I can check it, if problem persists they have given me a number for a Samsung repair locally to get checked out.

Mine does the same , clicking but will powers up by disconnecting the LVDS cable . i have tried a new t-con board still no go any idears .

Update

Tried tv earlier after factory reset and as expected no change to it ( no surprise there ). Have spoken to the company Samsung recommended and they want £30 for estimate, if I want it fixing its gonna be £70 labour plus V.A.T plus parts.........gonna shop around

This was sent via PM.

chips01 said:
sorry to be sending this but there is a guy on here wanting £50 for a replacement board that he is saying he has, he would write up how i need to fix it and send me pics also, now i am normally the first one to think it will be a scam and think its best to get an estimate and take it from there, your in this line of work are you not? (sure i seen it somewhere lol ). This seems to be happening a lot with samsung tvs and its damn annoying

You should, in my opinion, post the user name of this person in this thread. It's quite likely to be a scam but even if genuine, such behaviour is strictly against forum rules.

Also received via PM.

quick_silver said:
Hi m8 i know u don't want pm for tecnical questions but at my wits end on this help

samsung le40r88bdx clicking but will powers up by disconnecting the LVDS cable . i have tried a new t-con board still no go any idears .

Not without looking at the set, no.

Please don't PM technical questions guys. Ask in the thread.

Thought i would post and warn people to be very careful when seeking help regarding problems with your tvs. Not all engineers are honest or know a great deal about these problems. I had my set taken away to be looked at by A1 Atec on the wirral, the guy had the tv for 3 weeks and quoted £298 to repair it. I contacted a very nice man with a wealth of knowledge who helped us out as we where at our wits end not knowing what to do next.

Anyway when we went to get it repaired it became evident that the tv hadn't even had the back taken off it :eek: How can someone give a quote for what needs doing when they haven't even taken a look???

So people be very careful there are a lot of people out there who will willingly take your cash for doing absolutley nothing. Luckily we got our tv back in one piece and our deposit back :) and some one honest to repair it.

Glad to hear your telly's back to it's former glory Sonia.

Your near miss with this scally should be a lesson to be wary, there are some cowboys out there.

Was the sun shining when you got back over the pennines? It was miserable as hell all day this side!

:)

Big thanks to everyone on here,

I have had the same TV in the basement now for 6 months, I paid £1100 for this tv about 2 - 3 years ago. Had it working for 14 months before the clicking and the not powering on started. I assumed it was dead.
Had to buy another on one of those buy now pay later deals.

Yesterday after reading everyone's comments about the capacitors I thought I would open it up and have a look.

4 of the little buggers were blown or bulging, I replaced with 15v parts from maplin (£1.84), I have a fully working TV. Very easy to do.

Typically I bought another Samsung a 46" series 6 and am wondering if this has better components?
Will keep my solder iron handy just in case...

This is a terrible oversight by Samsung and I am shocked that they will not see these capacitors as a fault. Its as if these tv's were manufactured to fail after the warranty expires. My next TV will be from another manufacturer.

More complaints needed to Samsung's CS.
More praise needed for this forum.:smashin:

Just had a phone call to confirm the problem with my TV is with the PSU capacitors. Will be sending on the report to the supplier.:rolleyes:

I emailed Comet re the same problem I am having with my Samsung 40". Basically I don't see why I should have to pay for a report to show the fault in order for them to repair the set.

I received this reply:

"I was very concerned to learn of the problems that you have experienced with your product. Please let me say how sorry I am and thank you for taking the time to get in touch.

We take great pride in the products that we sell and our after sales service. If a fault develops with your product, it is protected by a 12-month guarantee from the date of purchase, which covers the full cost of spare parts and labour. The length of the guarantee is usually sufficient for any technical problems with the product to materialise.

Comet will not charge you for repairs carried out under the guarantee period. However, if the manufacturers' guarantee or extended warranty on your product has expired, repairs are chargeable.

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) does not require goods to remain fault free or fit for purpose until the end of their accepted working life. It only holds the retailer responsible for faults present at the date of purchase. It does not hold the retailer responsible for faults that develop after purchase, as the Act is not the equivalent of a guarantee.

As the television was purchased more than 6 months ago, the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) requires the purchaser to prove that the fault was present from the date of purchase. In the circumstances, we are unable you meet your request for a free repair or replacement. "

Would the report prove therefore that the fault was there when the item was purchased or will I have to pay for the report and then the repair to the set?

Many thanks for your help.

I emailed Comet re the same problem I am having with my Samsung 40". Basically I don't see why I should have to pay for a report to show the fault in order for them to repair the set.

That's how the law works regarding the SOGA.

So you need a well written report confirming the fault is due to poor design/manufacture.

The cost of this report can be added to your claim.

So it won't cost you a dime in the end.

Thanks for your reply Grumpy.

Should I get Comet engineers to look at it or find an independent person to do the report? If independent, where do I find one and how much would they charge approx?

If when I get the report, do I just show that to Comet and then they will agree the repair and also to refund the cost of the report?

Sorry for so many questions!

Get an independent engineers report.

Contact your local Trading Standards Department and explain the problem. They will explain everything regarding the SOGA, as I've said in this (and other) threads. Make a note of the reference number they give you.

Contact Comet again, with a copy of the report and the TS reference number. By post or email, if they'll accept it by email.

They'll cave. They have to. It's the law. :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom