1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung LE40R51BX 40" LCD??

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by tim k, Jul 4, 2005.

1. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Found this in currys today, and was totally amazed with the multiple routed source it was playing, really crystal clear, its fully hd ready, and has hdmi which all looks great on paper so that should be out of this world. ive found it at prcdirect for 1675 as well which is damn cheap ey!!!

so anyone know anymore about this beut?

http://www.prcdirect.co.uk/PRC/PRC.storefront/EN/product/LE40R51BX

2. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mate, I finally saw one of these 'in the flesh' yesterday and managed to have a play. Watched Lord of the Rings DVD via RGB and I was impressed, couldn't see any solarisation (posterisation) and it looked good IMHO. Like you I was impressed with how it displayed the crappy RF feed but then sometimes the analogue signals are better than digital so how Sky would look on it is the 64,000 dollar question. I then played the Incredibles through it and did notice some solarisation. Weird that it wasn't there on the LOTR, I was wondering if it's something to do with playing the animation type of film (someone put me straight please).
    Think it's also worth mentioning that I witnessed no tearing during the half an hour or so (could have been more, time flies when your having fun) I was watching it.
    I am so close to buying but resisting because I MUST compare it to the PS42S5H before deciding because if I choose the wrong one I'd be murder to live with :rolleyes:

One last point, can anyone chip in as to why this LCD is not getting more attention on here? Have I missed something guys? I feel I'm slowly getting the alias 'The Thread Killer'. Arrggh Paranoia!! :(

4. shaddow2005

shaddow2005
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Anyone know if you can run these on a PC at native resolution over the DVI ?

Ahh- hold on I just checked and it does not have a DVI connection !?!!?

But it does say that it will handle PC input D-sub15 pin (VGA-WXGA)
    but looking around WXGA can mean various different sizes !! and Dsub is not the best connector..

Shame looked like a nice screen otherwise.

5. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is the manual for the American version (LN-408D) which I believe is identical to the LE40R51BX. Weird that the uk site doesn't list any of it's new line up..
    COME ON SAMSUNG UK...WAKE UP!!

6. locutus

locutus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine should be here within a week or so and I will put a review up then.

7. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I took delivery of an LE40R51 yesterday (Saturday - ordered on Friday ;-). Very, very impressive. Haven't managed to find any dead pixels as yet, and no sign of any tearing so far either. Hooked up via RGB Scart to a v1 Sky+, and it's as clear and crisp as you could really wish for (and the PC connection via DSub is better than I would have expected).

Shame that setup is a bit of a problem - contrast, brightness, etc. are only stored per preset, not per input, so there may be a need to compromise across some inputs. And it can be challenging to get an acceptable contrast for dark shades without raising the brightnees too high (hint: keep contrast high, and raise brightness above the defaults). Of course, blacks are a bit weaker than some other display types, but they are still better than front projection or older CRT sets, and IMHO there isn't much point in having the deepest possible blacks if the screen just acts like a mirror.

All in all, precious little in the way of negatives, and a whole lot of positives.

BTW, I found one review on the net - although it is in Norwegian! http://www.dinside.no/php/art.php?id=216881

8. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    I believe the LE23/26/32/40R41/51B/D/X sets are all virtually identical, aside from screen size.

If it's anything like the 32" that I've got, I found contrast set to 100, brightness at 50, disabling dynamic contrast and turning on the brightness sensor on as long as it's not the only light source in the room to produce the best picture.

If you put brightness any lower than 50 then you're starting to loose shadow detail, and any higher just makes things brighter - you don't gain any.

Having a light on, either behind it, or pointing at the set seems to boost black levels dramatically, and when you've got the brightness sensor on, it will lower the backlight to an appropriate level. (if the TV is the only source of light in the room it'll go crazy though; dark scenes will just make it drop to the lowest value it can as the room is dim)

It doesn't have DVI, but can take it through the HDMI socket with an adapter. (although I hear it could have some overscan) The image is fantastic over VGA though - the best I've ever seen, and very close to DVI in terms of quality. (better than some lesser sets' DVI imo)

Contrast is 800:1 but if you use dynamic contrast it boosts it to 3000:1 - however it just throws away shadow detail, blows out highlights, and desaturates colour from my experience with it.

While blacks might not be completely black (although when the lighting is right, it looks identical to my old CRT - I did a side-to-side test) the 12-bit processing means that you're not losing shadow details, and I haven't seen any solarization/polarization on mine. I haven't tried The Incredibles, but I'd say it's quite likely to be because it's CG.

I hope you enjoy the set as much as I like my 32" one.

9. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally, I'm using a contrast of 80 - anything higher, particularly on DVI, and you risk crushing whites. Brightness is 65 on scart, and 80(!) on HDMI - slightly raising brightness, but definitely gaining shadow detail (according to DVE). (this was all with the brightness sensor on - haven't played with the settings with it off as yet).

Dynamic contrast - not quite true, it can enhance dark scenes but it mostly does kill shadow detail when the overall brightness is quite high. Best to keep it turned off.

Also, AFAIK it is actually 10-bit processing, which is still good enough to limit the possibility of the processing introducing posterisation.

10. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @Braveknight - Well done!!! :thumbsup: Finally someone buys the mothership :D Where did you order it from mate?

Funny that you ordered on Friday as I went to order and unfortunately they were out of stock grrrr.

Also, any chance of some piccys bud ;)

Thx,

Uz.

11. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ordered from BeyondTelevison.com - in stock, and pretty much the cheapest price I've seen (£1,623.89 plus delivery - standard rate is £50, another £20 for the Saturday delivery).

Pics to follow later.

12. locutus

locutus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow

I cant wait for mine.
    Now if Robertsons would just get their act together and send me the damn thing I will be very happy.

Looking forward to getting it now though

cheers guys :clap:

13. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bravenight.

Have you tried anything running at 720p at 60hz ?. This is were most of the tearing problems have been.

14. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes - region 0 DVD upscaled to 720p (HDMI). No sign of tearing.

15. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I found that the best Samsung site for European English manuals is the Dutch site which is always uptodate - http://www.samsung.com/nl/support/productsupport/download/Model_Select2.aspx?type=TV&subtype=lcd%20tv&model=LE40R51B&fileType=UM&LSSI=/nl/module/ssi/left/lmenu_tv_lcdtv.sec&RSSI=/nl/module/ssi/right/rmenu_tv.sec

16. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neilmcl - thanks for that link mate :smashin:

17. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  18. locutus

locutus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cancelled mine with robertsons online as they said it would be 1-2 weeks

Ordered it from PRC Direct and will be with me next Wednesday which is just after the lounge redecoration is finished.

Can wait for it...hmm may have to be star wars first

19. rontheman

rontheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. Just got delivery of my LE40R51BX. Runs great, though I agree dynamic contrast is useless. There is one major issue, which I have been unable to get a consistent answer from Samsung Customer Services.

I bought the set from Currys, and the point of sale sticker said Freeview was built in (I even took a cemraphone picture of it!!). I got the salesman to confirm this, but when setting up at home it became clear there was no Freeview box. Ignoring the obvious thought as to why Samsung include Freeview in the 26 and 32" sets, but not the 40", I called Samsung support to ask whether Freeview existed or was coming out. The first guy told me (after checking with his technical support colleague), that the set DOES have a freeview receiver, but that it needed a "software upgrade" to implement it (no time scales given). Sounded too good to be true, so I called again, and was told this time that there was NO freeview box (by the way, Currys offered me a free Freeview box as compensation!).

The question is, therefore, does the Freeview "hardware" exist within the LE40R51BX, or doesn't it? If the former, then a software upgrade could be in the pipeline, if the latter, then this seems odd, given that the 26 and 32 have it, and one might assume some degree of component commonality.

Any thoughts?

20. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are different 26" and 32" sets - BX (analog) and BDX (digital)... it's not particularly odd that there is a BX 40" without digital tuner, and that there likely will be a BDX version, although maybe it's a little odd that it isn't already available.

21. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered mine from Beyondtelevision.com same as Braveknight and their service is excellent. Ordered around 11'ish on Tuesday and it was with me at 11 on Wednesday. They even called me back to tell me that it had been despatched safely. Can't fault their service at all.

On the freeview tuner, when I initially turned the set on and done the auto tuning I was surprised to see it scanning from around 23 Mhz all the way up to past 700 Mhz (sorry didn't make a note of the exact range). This is surely outside std broadcast, is this the freeview frequencies? Don't shoot me down just don't quite get it. I don't think I can get freeview in my area anyway :(

Anyway have been meaning to add more but have been having issues building my new MCE HTPC to compliment the new arrival, will get there I hope, and can't wait to see that running through it!!

Nice to see a little LE40 club forming :thumbsup:

;)

22. Molly

Molly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Has anyone tried connecting a Pc via a DVI to HDMI lead.

If so:
    What resolutions worked?
    What freq. worked ie.50Hz, 60Hz and 75Hz?
    Was there any overscan?
    What graphics card did you use?
    What there any difference in picture quality from the VGA input?

Thanks

23. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Molly,

I haven't actually tried PC to HDMI but I have read a few threads that suggest it's not worth it. I can confirm that the VGA input results in the most fantastic picture I have EVER seen.

I have encountered some juddering when viewing TV through Media Centre but I think it because I have the refresh rate set to 60hz (awaiting some advice on another thread).

I am running a 6600GT PCI-e and a Hauppauge PVR150 MCE.

The HD demo clips I've run on it really show what this screen is capable of and damn is it capable!

Hope this helps,

Glen

24. shaddow2005

shaddow2005
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok I'm seriously considering this LCD..

My main worry is the lack of DVI, 30% of its use will be via a Media Centre PC which is approx 10m away.

Currenly it is connected to a 32" CRT (30" real) via 10m scart, thus the picture quality is not so good.

But a 10m VGA cable may well introduce shadows etc, and this would look pretty bad on a 40" screen!

I guess this is the real advantage of DVI (digital) over VGA (Analogue).

I know lots of LCD's have problem displaying PC Input on DVI at the Native resolution (as there is a lack of EDID standards for these resolutions, thus most graphics cards are unable to automaticly configure themselves - thus requiring messing about with powerstrip etc) so going down the VGA route seems to get around this.

Does anyone know if this screen will take the DVI - HDMI signal and display correctly at the native resolution ? ie with out stretching etc.?

Also I will be using this for XBOX 360 (Again Media Centre part of it , and of course a few games here and there).

What connectors will the XBOX 360 have ?, standard component , HDMI, DVI, VGA or all the above ?

And also SKY+ High Dev box when it comes out, I know this will use HDMI, so I guess at some stage I will need a HDMI switch box !!!..

Hope you guys can clarfiy, cos this would be an expensive mistake

25. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if it helps but I have VGA going in over a 7.5m VGA cable (Lindy Premium) and have no issues whatsoever.

26. jbm

jbm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also in the same dilemma as some of you. This set looks really good with the exact size I need, but I just really miss a DVI connection.

I can really notice the difference in my Samsung 193P with DVI and DSUB connection...so I wonder if it is not much more noticable when the display is 40'' instead of the 19''....

An HDMI switch would of course do the trick, but can't that mean loss of quality (not to refer to how expensive they are...)?

What resolutions can you use with the DSUB connection, 1366x768 full screen 1-1 pixel mapping?

Just one more question: Any of you have compared this set PQ with either the Panasonic LX500 or the Hitachi 32LD7200 (which has all the connections one can desire...)?

Thanks,
    Jorge

27. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jackuzi - if you are viewing a 50hz PAL signal via a 60hz connection from a HTPC, then yes the juddering is caused by the frame rate conversion.

shaddow - do not worry about the lack of DVI, in some cases you can go DVI->HDMI, and in any case the VGA quality is awesome, you really don't need DVI. The Xbox 360 will (almost certainly) have component (for HD - regular SCART, etc. for SD) - IIRC HDMI has already been ruled out.

Yes, a HDMI switch box will be useful for Sky HD, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, PS3 - they aren't that expensive (about £250 for a 4-way switch), and / or you could use an AV amp with HDMI switching (which are starting to hit the market at reasonable prices).

jbm - I totally agree about the difference between D-Sub and DVI on regular PC monitors, but trust me, the D-Sub connection that I've seen on the LE40 is much, much better (may depend on your video card / cable quality though). And D-Sub does 1360x768 1:1 pixel mapping.

28. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mate, what is the best workaround for this? I suppose the easy option is just to select that refresh rate in the gfx card properties but I'm sure it's not that easy (nothing ever is!!)

29. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,974
    Run the PC refreh at a multiple of 50 eg 50 or 100 Hz (if it will go that far). Try 75 if not.

30. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the Sammy only supports up to 60hz (please correct me if I'm wrong) so I guess it's gonna be a switch to 50hz then. Will I need to switch back to 60hz when not viewing TV?

Thanks