1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

samsung le40r51b rubbish?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by cyman, Oct 21, 2005.

1. cyman

cyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    is the samsung really good or really bad?

i am split after reading all the posts on here.

2. thelurch

thelurch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Generally its very good except mine seems to buzz/humm, see my other post on this subject.

Still not sure whether its supposed to or not but the few who have replied to my post asking if theirs buzz, some say it does some say it does not?

Generally recommended, dont let me put you off buying one!

3. cyman

cyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    lurch i have read your other post about the buzzing.

a little bit of info for you. i am a service engineer for quite a large company although not working on electronics the basics are all the same. general service engineer guidelines are never admit to a problem if its not crystal clear and always decline for minor faults. you would be surprised but the amount of people that live with a minor fault because they are told its ok is very surprising.

always remember a service engineer works for the people who dont want to have to put there hand in there pocket and pay for repair or loose your order.

most importantly just because they say no fault it does not alter your statutory rights as a consumer. product being suitable for the purpose for which it was sold and all that. if you are unhappy with the set get some advice trading standards or citizen advice.

hope this helps and thanks for the input bout the tv :thumbsup:

4. phorenzik

phorenzik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I am perfectly happy with mine. But this thread you started probably won't help you out for the simple reason that for everyone like me who likes the TV, there will be someone else who doesn't. The best way is to go see one in the flesh and make your own mind up. I tested this set against the Sony 40" and the Sammy outperformed it (connecting games consoles up through component while running in prog scan 480/525/720) hope this helps you.

5. Molhoy

Molhoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Phorenzik,

That's a very interesting point of view. I have been looking at the Sammy 32"/40" sets. Despite the mixed reception this range has received on these forums, thus far I have been impressed with what I have seen.

I have not yet had an opportunity to test it for games, however. Would you mind clarifying in what respects it out-performed the Sony, as this (the 32") is another set I have been considering?

6. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    They are not rubbish. The pic quality is superb. Like every single set from £100 to £10,000 Someone will have a duff one. Besides that there are a lot Sammy bashers on here that seem to do it from a Snob value. They actualy think Sony is as good as it ever was....

7. phorenzik

phorenzik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Hi Molhoy. I bought this set as a gaming TV. I tested the Sony 40" and 32" and there was horrendous pixellation and noise on both of them when running anything through component inputs at 480/525/720. I didn't test it with a 1080i input but I gathered it would be just as bad if not worse. I couldn't believe that the Sony was more money too (about £800 more). Money wasn't an issue for me. I went for the best TV. It just so happened that it was cheaper. I was so dismayed by the Sony 32" TV performance that I thought it must have been a faulty set. But it did the same when I tested the 40" version too. The Samsung performed absolutely flawlessly on all my tests, so I bought the 40" model and haven't looked back since. I hope this info helps you

8. Molhoy

Molhoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for that, Phorenzik.

Money isn't too much of an issue for me either (within reason) so I'm coming from exactly the same place as you - I just want the best possible TV!

Out of curiousity, have you experienced any the tearing issues that have been discussed elsewhere? And did you test any other models? I'm also considering the Panasonic TX32LXD500 and the Toshiba 32/37WLT58. I wondered if you'd tried these and, if so, what you thought of them...?

Also: how do you get on with other sources such as DVD and regular TV viewing on your Sammy? And how far away do you sit when using/watching the TV (I think the 40" Sammy might be a bit big for me...)

Sorry to keep asking questions!