Samsung LE40R51B in Currys. Very Nice

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by jerkyboy, Jun 19, 2005.

Tags:
  1. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got back from my local Currys where they had a Samsung LE40R51B 40" LCD on display. It looks very very nice.

I asked the guy to hook up a DVD player, all they had was a crappy Sanyo but the picture still looked impressive.

I plan to take in my Modded Xbox this week to see how it handles HI-DEF stuff.

I was waiting for the new Sharps to come out later this year but the Samsung looks like it might be the one. Has anyone bought one yet, whats it like ????.

2. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Same spec but two & a bit times the price of the 32" ! Get the 32" from Empiredirect for £800 & sit a bit closer ?

:eek:

3. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont want a 32", I want a 40/42", so if any one has any "useful" feedback on the Samsung 40" it would be apprecaiated !!.

4. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone add anymore to this thread? I am trying to decide which to buy out of the LE40R51B or the new Sammy Plasma PS42S5H?

In my head I have the following comparison:

Resolution - LCD wins at 1366 x 768 vs 1024 x 768
    Price - Plasma wins at £1530 vs £1699
    Size - Plasma wins at 42" vs 40"
    Screen Burn issues - LCD is not prone to burn (correct me if I'm wrong)
    Blacks - Plasma would produce better blacks than the LCD

I have read about the tearing issues on the other Sammy LCD's not sure if the 40 suffers the same.

I will be running a HTPC into it so have the option of scaling all inputs/running DVD from this source. Whether this would work better with the LCD or the Plasma I'm open to your advice.

Main viewing on this will be Sky+ so if anyone can comment on how this looks that'd be great.

At the end of the day it's still going to come down to the eye test but any advice is greatfully received.

I would be replacing my 'old faithful' Sony 29" CRT with this and it's got to be good.

Thanks all.