1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung LE40R51B Component query

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by phorenzik, Sep 8, 2005.

1. phorenzik

phorenzik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Hi, could anyone please tell me if the LE40R51B will output 720p and 1080i through analogue component? I thought it did, but now have my doubts after reading a review that stated it only outputs 480p through component. I know HDMI will be fine, but I want this for Xbox 360 so it needs to do the required scan modes for me. Also, I have seen the 32" version go under a slighlty different code number (the product number has a 'D' after the code) what does this 'D' signify? the price is always more expensive on the 'D' models, and as far as I am aware the 40" model only has the one product code. Thankyou in advance for any answers received.

2. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    I assure you the LE-26R41BD and LE-26R51BD, the 26" version of the TV you mentioned definitely accept 720p and 1080i via component video because I used both those modes with my softmodded Xbox. Amped 2 supports 720p and MX Vs. ATV Unleased supports 1080i.

The D means the TV has a built-in digital tuner, i.e. Freeview.

3. phorenzik

phorenzik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Thankyou, I am on the verge of buying this set and didnt want to waste my money. Anyone got the 32" or 40" who can also confirm this? Thanks again.

4. ThePimpmaster

ThePimpmaster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is an HD Ready TV, so it must support those modes.

5. phorenzik

phorenzik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I know it is HD ready, but one person's view of HD varies greatly from another's point of view. I know the correct HD specs. I read a review today in Home Cinema and they stated that it ONLY does 480p through component. I need to clarify this before I threw £1700 down the spout on a TV that won't do what I want it to. Thanks

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    the specs are ambiguous I think.

HD ready says you have to support 720p and 1080i, both at 50 and 60Hz. And have HDMI and component inputs.

But it doesn't specifically state you have to support all those formats over all those connections. So you could have the component just tacked on there to meet the specs.

It would be good for the mags to specifically test these things, and not just rely on a photocopied spec sheet from the manf. marketing dept.

7. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    I don't want to put you off but if you do a search for the original MASSIVE Samsung LE-32R41B thread, you'll see that people who owned the 32" model have the tearing issue at 720p@60Hz when using component video, mostly it seemed with a modded Xbox. Some of the those people reported that the TV doesn't tear at 1080i@60Hz when using component video (or HDMI). If you look through the thread - be warned, it is HUGE - you'll see for yourself that this TV can do 720p and 1080i throught component video. If it couldn't it wouldn't be an HDTV. The thread also contains a link to the manual so you can check for yourself.

I can confirm that the 26" model supports 480p/480i, 720p and 1080i through component video and if you think about it, it's highly unlikely that the bigger, more expensive version of the same model would lack features it's smaller brother has!

8. phorenzik

phorenzik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Thankyou. I think I will buy this TV within the next couple of days. Its annoying when you do loads of research on a TV, only to read a reputable mag's review that gets everything wrong. As far as I am aware, no one has reported tearing issues on any other size other than the 32" model. So I think I will be ok. Also, Samsung have released new firmware to solve the problem.

9. oblivion8

oblivion8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wondering if its possible to connect from sky+ scart to tv using rgb only scart to component or scart to scart rgb only, for a cleaner crisp picture ,and for audio using the avalible connections ...possible ? or makes no difference? or a stupid question ? :)