1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung LE40R51B - black level/halo in low light, scaling and... ?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by dknia, Aug 11, 2005.

1. dknia

dknia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

After almost going for the Hitachi 42PD7200 I'm very seriously considering the 40" Samsung after seeing it briefly in a shop running a shared component DVD stream. One old LCD'trait' I would like to eliminate from my worries:

How much of the backlight is visible in dark areas and/or around the edges when watching in low light (living room movie lighting i.e. 1 or 2 dimmed lamps)?

How does it handle horisontal (like CNN or BBC World) and vertical (end of film/program credits) scrolling text? Quite a few plasmas are very jerky especially on the horisontal scrolling text, and i just can't live with that.

How does it scale normal 4:3 material? Most of the plasmas I have seen do some stretching of the outer parts of the image, but with varied success.

Finally, how does the RF tuner perform? Is it very picky with signal strength, and how do less-than-perfect signal come out?

Any input from owners of this set is greatly appreciated.

Brgds,

Niels

2. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Well I have the 26" model but I'm sure the answers are still applicable to the 40" set as well.

The backlight isn't visible at all on my TV. The dark area is completely even in tone unlike the Iiyama ProLite E435S TFT monitor I use with my PC, which has visible light bleed along each of the four edges of the screen. I've watched movies in the dark and I haven't seen any similar problems on the Samsung TV. :smashin:

The horizontally scrolling text on, say, the Sky News channel is perfectly readable as it is on a CRT. There's no jerkiness or smearing as far as I can see. As for vertical scrolling credits, well it depends on the speed, some are too fast to read on CRTs but for the most part they appear the same to me as on a normal TV. The screen has a 12ms response time which is more than fast enough to handle 24/30fps in NTSC/PAL.

The TV has an Auto Wide setting which auto detects widescreen sources and sets them to 16:9. 4:3 material will appear in Parorama mode, i.e. the middle of the picture is 4:3 but the outer edges are stretched to the edges giving a slightly fish-eye lens effect that is barely noticeable (well I don't think it is anyway!). One slight annoyance though is if you switch to HDMI or component, which don't support Panorama mode, when you switch back to RGB SCART, the picture is set to Wide not Auto Wide so you have to manually set it again.

I can't comment on the quality of RF as the reception in my area is so poor that I have to rely on Sky Digital for a good picture. I've got one or two OK-ish channels and they appear better than they ever did on my Sony 21" CRT TV but that doesn't really tell you anthing...

3. dknia

dknia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the comprehensive reply. It's very comforting responses indeed. :thumbsup:

Maybe some of the 40" owners can finally confirm this as valid for the 40" as well - anyone?

The annoyance with switching Scaling options between Component & RF: Is there a direct button on the remote to switch between the zoom factors (as far as I remember there is)?

/Niels

4. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    The remote has a P. Size (picture size) button in the slide out bit at the bottom.

5. dknia

dknia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any LE40R51B owners who can confirm that the traits of Dr. Hades 26" have been carried up to the 40"?

TIA

Niels