1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

samsung LE40R51 humming/buzzing ?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by thelurch, Oct 16, 2005.

1. thelurch

thelurch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

Does anyone who has the samsung LE40R51 ( or the R41 or any size from the range ) have a buzzing noise coming from the back of the TV?

Its coming from the vent on top of the TV, I am guessing its the backlight.

Its quite noticable when the TV is turned on from cold, sometimes goes away but last night it stayed there all evening, albeit a lttle queiter but still audible during quieter moments in programmes.

Its definately not coming from the speakers and does not make any difference what source, type of cable or whether its a dark scene or very bright.

I have tried all the various picture settings on and off, adjusted contrast, brightness etc. Changing settings does not seem to stop it and when it does I think its just coincidence.

If you have a TV from this range I would appreciate a quick report saying whether you can hear humming/buzzing.

I sit about 10 foot from the TV, its not audible over normal TV programmes, just those quieter moments.

I am going to give samsung a call but just wanted to know if its common first, if it is the backlight it may be a sign its faulty?

Thanks guys

2. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,401
    I have the Samsung LE26R41BD and don't have any humming/buzzing noise. Whatever sound you get doesn't sound normal to me.

3. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you got the auto backlight adjust set to on ?.

Most LCD's buzz when the backlight is turned down, god knows why.

Try turning off the auto adjust and see what happens.

4. thelurch

thelurch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    as far as i could see there isnt an option for auto backlight adjust?

Theres the brightness sensor on the front of the tv but turning that on or off does not make any difference

Does anyone know if samsung send out engineers to look at faults in situ or does every fault mean the TV is sent back to them?

5. thelurch

thelurch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    just phoned samsung, told them about the buzz/humm. I was expecting her to tell me that an engineer would call back ( like with the tearing issue) but she straight away said they would send out an engineer to have a look from DK Audio, Im near Brighton and they come from Southampton so bit of a trek for the engineer.

I have subsequently found that if i turn the Brightness sensor on, so the bar on screen automatically goes from right to left until it finds the right level, usually to the left. As this bar moves and the screen darkens with every move of the bar the humm either gets less or it changes its pitch.

That makes it less noticable but still there during quiet points in viewing.
    The only problem with having that set like that is I find it makes the picture seem too dark and I prefer it with the brightness sensor set to "off" but then I get the buzz!

Is there anyone else who has a Tv from this range who can say yes or no that they have a buzz/hum from the top grill on their TVs?

And if, when this engineer visits he deems the buzzing normal then where will I stand? Will samsung charge me for his visit? as there was no mention of cost for a "no fault" diagnosis when I spoke to samsung.

6. thelurch

thelurch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    feel like im chatting to myself but had a call from DK Audio, they are sending engineer on friday to look at TV ( or listen!) .

7. phorenzik

phorenzik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Hi Lurch. My 40 does it too. I think it is normal. I thought it was the fan that was humming, not the backlight. I don't seem to notice it as much as you though. If the material I am watching is really quiet, or if I am channel hopping, then I can hear it. Otherwise I can't. Hope this helps.

8. thelurch

thelurch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for that, is it worse when you first turn on the TV from cold ie in the morning or evening?

9. phorenzik

phorenzik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    its pretty much the same volume of hum/buzz constantly. Meaning that it doesn't seem to be any louder when the TV is fisrt turned on. It is just there, at the same volume, even if the TV has been on for most of the day. I notice it more at night, but there is less background noise so this is understandable. It isn't very loud at all, but you can tell it is there. I would definately get an engineer to look at it, just for peace of mind. I don't class this as a fault on the TV, but it all depends on the volume. I have NTL so I can't compare with the noise from a Sky box. It is a lot quieter than my Xbox used to be (I sold it recently) and a hell of a lot quieter than my PC. The noise is comparable to the 5 series of PS2 (the one with the quieter fan and built in IR port, just before the launch of the slimline model). Hope this helps you.

10. thelurch

thelurch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    thanks i will report back after engineers visit on friday

11. thelurch

thelurch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well engineer has just left, and his verdict?....not faulty :thumbsdow

He said it was the power inverter board !?*$£ ( whatever that is ) and is usual,even though I told him that Ive seen various model sizes in currys/comet etc which I have pressed my ear to the top vent and couldnt hear a thing!. He just said that you wouldnt hear it in the shop!, why? I asked.He just said it was "weird".

I am still not convinced with this diagnosis but apart from paying someone for a second opinion I think im going to have to live with it :(

Not too happy but I suppose will have to live with it, its a bit late to get an exchange from the retailer and then I still might get one with the same noise and dead pixels ( something I fortunatley dont have).

It could be worse, I could work for currys!

12. phorenzik

phorenzik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67

LOL (the Currys quote I mean.......not laughing at your situation)

Thanks for the update. Sounds like the engineer is trying to fob you off. Did you get your TV from Currys? because I know some horrendous stories about Mastercare (their repair division). If you think the TV has a fault, request a new one. It doesn't matter how long you have had it. It has a 12 month warranty in case these situations arise. I really hope you get it sorted mate. :thumbsup:

13. thelurch

thelurch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    No I do not work for currys, what a horrible thought LOL !

I bought it from 121electricals on the net, do you think I should pursue getting a replacement from them or get back on to samsung?

The only problem with going to samsung is that they will have this engineers report stating the TV is normal.

I think I will phone samsung on monday and say im still not happy.

14. thelurch

thelurch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Update to my situation!

After my visit from so called "engineer" on friday who seemed to be fobbing me off I thought I was going to have to live with it but we had friends round on Saturday and Sunday night and both commented about the buzz!

So that was it, a phone call to my retailer this morning who said put it all in an email and they will look at it and contact samsung.

Phoned Samsung straight after and spoke to very sympathetic guy, explained the whole situation and what the engineer had said and he said the engineers response sounded strange.

He also told me that the TV sould be " Whisper Quiet ", and he really thought it sounded faulty :thumbsup: . He had the response from DK Audio saying the noise was normal but has now requested the full report.

He offered me another engineer visit but unfortunately that would be DK Audio again and I could get the same guy so I put that on hold.

I said I wouldnt want DK Audio to repair my TV based on this guy that visited.

So he said to contact the retailer and get them to contact Samsung which they said they will do after receiving this email.

Watch this space!

15. thelurch

thelurch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Update number 2!

I apologise if this saga is getting boring but heres the latest incase you are still reading!

Got an email back from where I bought TV, they said that they would need to see a 2nd engineers report before looking at a replacement, so I had to then get back onto Samsung yesterday and begrudgingly let them organise another visit from DK Audio.

Just had a phonecall from DK, and it was the engineer that came the first time, he now states that the TV could well be faulty and he will come and have a look inside the TV this time ( why didnt he do this last visit !) and will change the power supply!.

So he has now changed his diagnosis over the phone even without coming a second time.....mmmn....sounds a bit odd to me.

Someone stated earlier that engineers will often try to tell customers that these more simple faults are actually normal when they are not because the majority of people, when told this will accept it and the engineer gets away without having to do the work.

That sounds very much like what has happened in this case, I think he was hoping that I would just take his word for it,put up with it and he would hear no more about it but no.

So I may be a step closer to getting that quiet TV I crave! :thumbsup:

16. phorenzik

phorenzik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I hope you get it sorted mate. It definately sounds like your TV is faulty. If the engineer tells you there is nothing wrong with it again, just tell him that your friend has the same TV and theirs doesn't make the same sound, so therefore yours must have a fault. I never trust engineers whenever they have to come round to my house. I watch them like a hawk, and always make sure they do exactly what I want them to. (not in a perverse way or anything.........in case you were wondering). The vast mojority are work shy, and will feed you any old rubbish, just so they don't have to do any work.

17. thelurch

thelurch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I dont really trust them either.

The fact the same engineer phoned me today and said he would come and fit a new power supply is almost an admission that he should have done it on the first visit. I think he wanted to get away with not doing the work and hoped I would accept his diagnosis ( If I hadnt found this forum I would have done).

By the fact that he is actually going to attempt a repair now goes against his first report which stated " no repair, set normal" and it will strengthen my case for a replacement should this repair fail as I would have technically had 2 failed repairs and would be well within my rights to ask for a replacement.

So if tomorrows repair does fix the buzz then alls good and if it doesnt then I should be able to get a replacement......the only worry is, if I do get a replacement ... a) what if it buzzes too! b) dead pixels as this set has none!

18. phorenzik

phorenzik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Samsung have a zero tolerence on dead pixels........I think, so if it has only 1 then you should be able to get a replacement. I doubt the replacement will buzz......what would be the odds of that? its not impossible, but it is a very minute probability. Hope everything goes smoothly. Get your own back on the engineer when he comes round. Make him a cup of tea with a used tea bag or something equally as childish. LOL

19. thelurch

thelurch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well.... 2nd Engineer has just left.

It was a different guy, he turned on the TV and immediately said " Oh that definately sounds like a faulty power supply"

He claimed he had not seen the last engineers report ( didnt know whether to believe him )

So he set to work undoing about 4000 screws, took the back off, and another cover ( its alarming to see that there is actually very little inside these sets!, and they do not have fans )

The power supply is a circuit board a bit bigger than A5, he put in the new one, did up the 4000 screws again and plugged it in....wait for it.... drum roll please.......... it was completely silent!....
    But and and theres a huge but.... the only problem was it didnt work, at all!!!!! so off came the 4000 screws again and he compared power supplys and could see nothing wrong, swapped them around this time without putting the cover back on ( einstein!!) and the old one worked with its buzz.

He thinks that the supposed "new" power supply board may have got "mixed up" with their faulty pile! ( how many do they have for goodness sake!)

So hes been here 2 hours, taken the TV apart 2 twice and im left in exactly the same situation!. he phone head office and they are out of stock of them and will have to order another from Samsung!

So now not only have I had to take one day off for an engineer to visit to say the TV is normal, then I take another day off for another engineer to admit theres a fault but not fix it, and now ive got to take another b****y day off to wait for the 3rd visit.

Im phoning Samsung in a minute to share my dissatisfaction with them.

20. phorenzik

phorenzik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Blimey. I'm usually the unlucky one. Surprised about there being no fan. The slight hum I get from my set comes from a vent in the top of the TV so I just assumed it was a fan emmiting the noise. At least you will get it sorted now........eventually..........the phrase 'third time lucky' springs to mind.

21. sparkymark75

sparkymark75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    Got me worried/paranoid now :eek:

I received my LE32R41BD last Wednesday and mines has a slight buzzing noise, but you can only hear it if you put your ear to the top of it. It does sound like an electricity type of buzzing.

Hopefully it won't get any worse. Keep us updated on how you get on.

22. thelurch

thelurch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I wouldnt worry unless it gets louder, any buzz comes from the power supply circuit board which is mounted centrally behind the backlight, by all accounts they all buzz slightly but shouldnt be heard, especially not from 10 feet away with the volume on 20 like mine does!.

If you can only hear the buzz when you put your ear to the vent then dont worry, mine is much worse and has got slightly louder. :thumbsdow .

I decided to email Samsung to register my dissatisfaction at the whole situation. Looked for an email address on the website and all I could find was one of those forms which you put your contact details in and a box to type in your message whether it be complaint or whatever. But the box for putting in your contact phone number only allows 10 digits! and if im not mistaken most phone numbers are 11!!

Anyway they sent me an automated email today thanking me for my comments and my custom! and that was it!

Oh and the engineer said that they should be able to come out today (friday) to fit the new one but then they phoned to say they didnt have anymore in stock and would have to order one which could take 2 weeks...aaaargh!.....all I need now is bird flu to make my life complete!

The only 2 saving graces are A) ive still got a TV that does work although a noisy and B) Ive got a copy of the 2nd engineers diagnosis saying the psu is actually faulty.

To any Samsung owners, if you live within 40 miles of mitcham and samsung send you an engineer, its likely they will come from DK Audio ........

Be afraid be very very afraid.............. :eek:

23. digitalwolf

digitalwolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My LE26R41BDX is making a noise aswell. It's only 3 days old, so I'm considering taking it back.

It makes a noise (on the top vent) you would expect from a very small fan.

Then when I turn it off, it makes a very quiet noise, very much similar to a kettle boiling,and then it will go back to the fan noise.

Also when it starts up, it makes weird whistling noise?

Anyone else getting these problems?

24. thelurch

thelurch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    There are no fans inside this range of TVs, there is very little actually, 2 A5 size pcbs and two small pcbs and either side plus the screen, it makes me wonder why they are so damn expensive but it must be the screen itself.

I only get buzzing when the picture is being displayed, as soon as the standby button is pressed, the noise stops completely

25. Traffic

Traffic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Lurch

Sorry to hear about your problems with the Sammy. Thanks for keeping us updated, it's given me a good insight into Samsung customer care...

Been looking at getting a 51 or 61 series myself. I'll wait to see how your probs are resolved before I take the plunge! Especially as I live closer to Southampton than you :D

Btw, does anyone know if Lurch would have received better service if he'd bought from John Lewis (thinking about that 5 yr warranty :p). Would they have used a DK Audio engineer?

Cheers

Traffic

26. digitalwolf

digitalwolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm not to fussed about it really, it's not causing a problem,I can only hear it when I put my ear on the vent!

If it packs up, i'll get onto Samsung!

27. thelurch

thelurch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I think I will be requesting Samsung to authorise a replacement TV from my retailer after I finally get the psu replaced, I dont hold up much hope on a successful repair from DK Audio. Although I will probably go for the same TV ( hopefully stocks of mine will have gone and I could get the updated 40" M series?)

I had done a search to find details of DK Audio as soon as I was told what company would come out to me and I found the DK Audio based in Southampton but it isnt them, the DK Audio I have had are based in Mitcham and Horley ( surrey I think). Their paperwork says nothing of Southampton so they must be two different companies?

28. Braders

Braders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi thelurch,

I've just been reading your thread and understand exactly how you feel about your buzzing Samsung. I've just purchased a Samsung LE40R51B 40inch LCD TV (same set as yours?) and boy does it buzz! Whenever the screen is on, regardless of what contrast / brightness or any other settings I fiddle with the noise is there and is fairly constant. I would liken it to the noise a fridge makes when the motor kicks in to pump the coolant. As you and others have said, the noise comes from the grill on the top of the set (slightly to the right of centre as you look at the screen). I was convinced it was the backlight (as I think you were) before I read your mention of the pcb. If I understand you correctly you believe it is to do with the power supply? I can see how this could be responsible for the noise we are experiencing. Do you think it could have anything to do with the unit's response to dirty mains? If so perhaps one of those extension blocks which smoothes out AC supply might help? I'm quite into my HiFi and have heard what a difference these blocks can make to a stereo system so there's an outside chance it may help. Unfortunately I don't have one myself so I can't try it out. I've got as far as contacting Samsung and them agreeing to send an engineer round (although he hasn't been yet), but they say that he will simply take the TV away and set it up next to 4 other sets of the same model to compare for noise levels. This seems unnecessary. If the engineer is any good at all surely he can listen to one of these sets (they must have access?) and use a decibel meter to get a reading. He should then be able to come to the house and do the same to instantly compare. Anyone with a pair of ears can hear the noise and if it turns out that it is normal then I'm amazed the set ever made it into manufacture. Listening to the TV at the same volume levels you state means that the buzz is inescapable. Please let me know how you get on and I'll pass on to you the same. I will not allow the set to be tinkered with though. As far as I'm concerned any genuine engineer worth his salt should be able to state if there is or isn't a problem, and if there is then I want the TV replaced with a new one. I've had it less than a week and contacted Samsung with 48hours.

I did go back to Currys to have a listen to their display set and it made the same noise! You can't hear it unless you put your ear to the top of the set, but this is because Currys play music in their stores and they have a good number of TV sets with the volume up too. There is simply too much general background hum to easily pick up that which the set is making. Just so you know!

29. thelurch

thelurch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for your comments, all the TVs Ive listened to, only make a slight buzz which is only audible when you put an ear directly up to the vent.

Its interesting what you say about the "dirty manins", how does that happen? can you explain it more? and what this adaptor block is called.

Its interesting that Samsung offer different treatment for the same type of faults depending on which sub contracted engineers come round, lots of people have been told that their TVs will have to go away to be fixed but the Company who have been coming out to me have told me they will always repair onsite and as there isnt that many bits inside the TV to actually replace that makes sense.

If my TV is taken apart and things replaced then I would want to be present throughout so the engineer couldnt try and pull a fast one.

Im still awaiting DK Audio to phone me when they get another psu in from samsung, I will let them come out and replace it but Im not convinced there will be a satisfactory conclusion so will then be requesting Samsung to authorise a replacement from where I bought it.

Apparently samsung will only credit a retailer with a fualty returned set when they have had 3 failed repairs. If a retailer is happy to have it replaced without going through that then its goodwill as I do not think they will be garanteeed a credit from samsung.

Maybe a thread could be started up on here where people who have had problems can post the name of the retailer and what procedure they require to be gone through in the event of a faulty TV so we can help prospective buyers decide who to buy from?. I know there are some good faith retailers who take back faulty tvs with no problems but I think they are few and far between

If I get a repalcement and i go for the same set and it buzzes to the same degree then I will have to try your dirty mains adaptor theory but until then lets hope it gets fixed

30. Braders

Braders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Contacted Samsung again and they are sending an engineer out this coming Sat to have a listen so I'll let you know how I get on. With regards to dirty mains, if you do a google search you should find some reasonable links to explain it. I think I may be able to get hold of one of the extension blocks designed to clean up mains AC this weekend so I'll hopefully try that too. I'll keep you posted.