Samsung LE40N73BDX Can't turn off Dynamic Dimming in service menu

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by Trog, Dec 31, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Trog

Trog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've just bought a Samsung LE40N7BDX and the dynamic dimming is a pain. I went to the service menu and option 2 to turn it off and Dynamic Dimming is greyed out of the menu. There are two lines in the menu showing ---- On which are greyed out, 2 HDMI is also greyed out everything in between High Deviation and Tuner Top are greyed out, Auto Power, Magazine LNA and Dynamic Contrast are also greyed out. I cannot choose any of the above from the menu as only purple menu items are highlighted as I scroll through.

Any ideas of how I turn off Dynamic Dimming because I can't even highlight it in the menu.

2. Dogers

Dogers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Set the picture settings to Movie Mode, the Dynamic Dimming doesn't operate with that selected

3. Trog

Trog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would really like to turn the dynamic dimming off permanently in service menu. Any ideas why it's greyed out and is there a way to change this. I think that movie mode looks poor compared to dynamic and standard picture setting.

4. D'Ohnut

D'Ohnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    This is the TV I've almost totally decided on, but must admit this dynamic dimming could well be a deal breaker. It is SO stupid they have offered this but not given a way to switch it off, but you can in certain modes. It just doesnt make much sense. I realise there is a workaround, but still for the price you are expected to pay it's a ridiculous position to be in.

Are you happy with the set in other ways though? What is your opinion of SD content either via scart, hdmi (sky hd in particular if you have this?). Anything else that you love or hate about it would be very helpful.

5. Trog

Trog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've set the picture mode to MOVIE which looks poor at first compared to DYNAMIC, but with a little adjustment in sharpness, colour, contrast and brightness it is looking very good. Using MOVIE mode does seem to turn off the annoying Dynamic Dimming. I have used component with progressive out on my dvd player and the image is alot better than when I connected with the scart. Because each input can be set with a different picture adjustment I have set the dvd component to Movie mode and have turned on Game mode for the SCART that I will use for my games consoles. Setting to Game Mode for my consoles also seems to turn off Dynamic Dimming whilst playing. Sky digital looks good through the scart but I had to turn down the volume in the Sky menu because it was alot louder than the dvd, dtv and analogue.
    Can anyone tell me how to turn off Dynamic Dimming from the service menu as it is greyed out and cannot be highlighted.

6. Dogers

Dogers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I don't know how to permanently turn it off, I've only ever looked in the service menu once. :eek:

I simply used some settings another AVForums member posted before I got mine:

On TV Picture Settings:
    Mode = Movie (This disables dynamic contrast which seems to affect Sky input more than the internal digital tuner)
    Contrast = 80, Brightness=77,Sharpness=60,Colour=57,Tone=Cool1
    Digital NR = On (this seems to make little difference)
    Energy Saving = Low (or off if the room is bright)

All seems okay to me!

7. Trog

Trog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me what the Gamma and Panel Option settings are in the Option Table of the service menu on the Samsung LE40N73BDX because I changed them accidentally whilst messing about.

8. sparkymark75

sparkymark75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +744
    Maybe it's there because Samsung use a standard service menu for all their LCDs and just disable options on certain models?

9. Purple snakes

Purple snakes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    You can now take a look at my post.

10. nadeem5476

nadeem5476
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    turn off SHOPPING MODE in the service menu / options block.

11. pixel8

pixel8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    :confused:When/where did you guys get these tv's as i'vs recently had issues with my own 32N73 and bought a 40B550...i'd rather have had the 40N73...?