Samsung LE40M86BD or Toshiba 40XF355DB

andyb123

Hi, I have had three Samsung LE40M86BD all with either clouding or missing pixels. My local Currys has now advised me that I may swap the set one last time. Even though the Samsungs have had problems the picture is really good but I am ready to swap it for the Toshiba.

Any help deciding which is best most appreciated. I know that the Tosh is only 10000-1 contrast and the Samsung is 15000-1 but does this make much difference?.

Do they both perform OK with bluray DVD? ie: 24FPS

I have to decide by Saturday which is tomorrow please help me make my decission. Oh another thing the Tosh is £150 more but I dont have to pay the difference.

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
Get them to replace your M86 with a Sony KDL-40V3000!

mark1000

Distinguished Member
Hi, I have had three Samsung LE40M86BD all with either clouding or missing pixels. My local Currys has now advised me that I may swap the set one last time. Even though the Samsungs have had problems the picture is really good but I am ready to swap it for the Toshiba.

Any help deciding which is best most appreciated. I know that the Tosh is only 10000-1 contrast and the Samsung is 15000-1 but does this make much difference?.

Do they both perform OK with bluray DVD? ie: 24FPS

I have to decide by Saturday which is tomorrow please help me make my decission. Oh another thing the Tosh is £150 more but I dont have to pay the difference.

Hi, i'm about to push the buy button on the 46" tosh and have seen the v3000 and 355 side by side, the v3000 looked good with a hd feed but i have to say i thought the freeview feed was very grainy and pixelated IMO.

Although the tosh has less functional settings i.e no per input settings ( only global ) the picture quality was better than the v3000 in the freeview department which for me is most important considering i watch mostly sd.

Mark.

Edit... sorry but cant answer your ? about 24p playback.

andyb123

is the Sony not a lottery as I heard on the forums these have real bad clouding issues probably worse than the Samsungs.

mark1000

Distinguished Member
is the Sony not a lottery as I heard on the forums these have real bad clouding issues probably worse than the Samsungs.

So far i have not heard any reports of cloudy v3000's but w2000's did suffer from that.

Mark.

andyb123

So far i have not heard any reports of cloudy v3000's but w2000's did suffer from that.

Mark.

did consider the sony but currys have none at all, not even on the website. Is this the model with the piano black finish and 16000-1, would you say this was better than the tosh and samsung?

Thanks

mark1000

Distinguished Member
did consider the sony but currys have none at all, not even on the website. Is this the model with the piano black finish and 16000-1, would you say this was better than the tosh and samsung?

Thanks

Not sure about the 16000-1 but yes this is the one with piano finish, remember though that quoted dynamic contrast levels can be taken with a pinch of salt, its static ratios that count.

Mark.

andyb123

Not sure about the 16000-1 but yes this is the one with piano finish, remember though that quoted dynamic contrast levels can be taken with a pinch of salt, its static ratios that count.

Mark.

sorry what is static ratios? which one has the best reviews. Im fed up of the Samsungs, what with updates, freeview judder, scart banding, clouding, 10 bit 8 bit panel debate the list is endless.

Toshiba know little about apart from the freeview guide was abit rubbish and the TV eventhough 40" looked really small with the tiny frame around the screen.

Sony looked OK but I have seen reports indicating that the HD input lacks a little clarity and not as sharp as the others?

More confused than ever.

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
dont worry mate give a try at the sony and I am sure you will be fine

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom