Samsung LE40M86/87 Audio Lag with Amplifiers?

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by rajivkotecha, May 7, 2007.

Tags:
  1. rajivkotecha

rajivkotecha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi Guys

Got my M87 yesterday and fired it up as soon as i got home. On Sky SD w/ a good SCART cable PQ was pretty incredible...but i'll post my full impressions later on the main thread.

What i was a bit worried about was that, when i fed the audio out on Sky to my Amp and played the audio through there, it seemed to lag behind the TV's picture & sound. I seem to remeber that this was mentioned some time ago but couldn't find the thread. AFAIK the only solution is to use the line out from the TV ---> the amp and use that but i'm afraid there may be a degredation in sound quality as it has to go through one unneccessary loop. Is this likely to be fixed in a SW update (or are there any other solutions)

p.s. I haven't tried this on HDMI sources as i don't have my cable yet but from what i remember it was a source-wide problem.

2. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    Could someone else with an amp connected comment on this please?

I will be getting an M87 in a few days and intend to use it in conjunction with my amp / surround sound setup.

First I had heard of this problem.

3. JayValkyr1

JayValkyr1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, I can confirm the same problem.
    And My Topfield box is hooked up to the M86 via HDMI.

The lag is quite minimal though, more like just an annoying echo if the sound
    comes from both sources (amp & tv).

I've been happy to just leave the tv on mute.

4. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    I wouldn't be worried about that as I'd never have the TV sound and amp running at the same time.

The thing that would concern me is whether, with the TV sound off, it is noticeable to the eye that there is a lag in the picture versus sound or vice versa.

This doesn't happen with my current CRT setup.

Can you notice this?

5. JayValkyr1

JayValkyr1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No. I can't see any lag between the picture versus sound.
    I even watched some funny talk show to see if there's a noticeable difference, but I can't see any.

6. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    Good stuff, I was hoping this would be the case especially as I can't believe you guys are the only two on here with this set and an amplifier / surround sound.

Would have thought there would have been more complaints had this been a widespread problem.

7. JayValkyr1

JayValkyr1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, exactly.
    No one's gonna recognize this issue unless the TV sound and amp are running at the same time.

8. Sq1rr3ll

Sq1rr3ll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Perhaps there is a little bit of un-necessary worry going on here.

This is a common issue (lip sync) when using any LCD tvs and surround systems - it is not a problem with the M87 itself.
    I believe it's down to the extra processing that the tv undertakes when displaying the picture - there is no delay feeding the surround system with audio.
    With my system, for example, this can be very easily corrected using the "av sync delay" setting within the audio options menu of my main unit.
    I believe that this should be the case with most av setups.

9. jonnyh6

jonnyh6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I picked up my M86 yesterday too and noticed a similar problem but it was the otherway around. The TV speakers seems to lag behind the picture.

I have Sky-HD (HDMI from box to TV) and when viewing an HD channel without using the AV, I noticed that there was a several millisecond lag of the sound behind the picture. It was very noticable when you watch people speaking.

However, if I use my AV with the TV on mute there is no noticable lag (Sky Box direct to AV via optical). You can hear the difference if you use both sound sources at the same time.

I then tried my DVD (HDMI connection again), but there didn't appear to be any lag with the TV speakers, also seems fine on SD.

I've checked all the settings on the TV to make sure there is no delay, and the same on the sky box so I only assume that either there is an issue with the HDMI out from the Sky Box when viewing HD, or the television is having a problem processing the HD picture and sound at the same time.

Not sure where to go with this, has anyone else noticed. The simplest solution at the moment is to leave the TV muted but not ideal as I always have to use the AV...:lease:

10. kevpatts

kevpatts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Is this option on the TV or the amplifier? My Amp definitely doesn't have this option and I can't find anything in the TV setup.

Unlike most here I am experiencing the sound through the amp being ahead of that from the TV. It seems as if the TV delays the sound through it's own internal speakers so as to sync it with the picture (which needs a little time to be processed) but doesn't delay it's own audio out.

Yes, I have my Sky+ SD box hooked up to the TV using SCART and the audio out from the TV going to the AMP and the TV ausio and picture are behind.

This would annoy me so much that I'd return the TV. If you're spending that kind of money on a decent setup you shouldn't have to put up with unavoidable lip sync errors.

Kevpatts

11. runas

runas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Actually, the analogue line output from the M8s does not seem to be delayed, but the TOSLink interface is. Consequently, when the external receiver is fed from the analogue output, it is out of sync with the picture, (i.e. leading). This can be confirmed by simultaneously listening to the TV speaker sound. You will hear an echo. The TOSLink output also give a small echo, but not so severe.
    My receiver, (Denon 2803) does not have any delay adjustment so I cannot use the analogu output.

runas

12. sheppty

sheppty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I had lag with my HD Box and the M87. Fortunately, the HD box has a delay setting you can change in the sound menu. I was able to resolve it that way without having to change any of my amp settings.

Not sure if the non-HD boxes have the same feature.

13. MarkOakes

MarkOakes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have got the Same Problem with My Sky HD Box connected via the HDMI Cable to a Samsung LCD. HD Channels have the picture lagging behind the sound, SD Channels seem fine thou.