samsung LE40F71 or sony KDL40W2000

D

Deleted member 47247

Hi

Basically i'm going to buy a new lcd TV and can't decide between a sony KDL40W2000 or the samsung LE40F71 Just wanted to know if one is any better or worse than the other or if anybody has bought one of these 2 lately. Going to be watching SD tv plus xbox 360 ps3 HD-dvd. I have looked at both many times and honestly can't choose between them so just looking to see what all you guys think. Thank you all for reading this

can I add that i'm in exactly the same position.

Only downer for the samsung I can see is the lack of digital freeview. Apart from that, there is nothing in it. Except maybe the samsung's surround looks better

any advice would be cool

I'm in the same boat as you chaps. Been looking at these 2 as well as the new Sharp screens. All have their strengths and weaknesses and i have read every page of the 3 huge threads on them!

Sony W looks the best of the 3 in terms of picture quality and it does 1080p over both HDMI and unofficially VGA (for the 360 HD-DVD drive). The problem is that a lot of people have noticed backlight bleeding on these sets and it is the one thing putting me off at the moment. That said I have only ever owned 1 cheap lcd so maybe i wouldn't notice it but for the amount of money we'd be shelling out on these tv's you would expect no problems whatsoever.

Maybe it's too early to get 1080p. It doesn't make it any easier though that i've got a PS3 (with 3 blu-ray movies to watch) and i've got it plugged into a 32" CRT via scart!

I'm in the same boat as you chaps. Been looking at these 2 as well as the new Sharp screens. All have their strengths and weaknesses and i have read every page of the 3 huge threads on them!

Sony W looks the best of the 3 in terms of picture quality and it does 1080p over both HDMI and unofficially VGA (for the 360 HD-DVD drive). The problem is that a lot of people have noticed backlight bleeding on these sets and it is the one thing putting me off at the moment. That said I have only ever owned 1 cheap lcd so maybe i wouldn't notice it but for the amount of money we'd be shelling out on these tv's you would expect no problems whatsoever.

Maybe it's too early to get 1080p. It doesn't make it any easier though that i've got a PS3 (with 3 blu-ray movies to watch) and i've got it plugged into a 32" CRT via scart!

tell you what mate. What you are doing with that ps3 is criminal! a scart!

I'm sending the police over, now don't put up a fight you will just make it worse............

lol

tell you what mate. What you are doing with that ps3 is criminal! a scart!

I'm sending the police over, now don't put up a fight you will just make it worse............

lol

I know I know!!!

So recommend me a decent 40-46" tv for me to hook it up to properly!

PLEASE!!

My budget is 2k and as mentioned i'll be wanting to set up the PS3, Sky HD eventually and probably a 360 as well.

I believe the Samsung does 1080p over HDMI, VGA and Component (all supported). Although there appear to be overscan issues with HDMI.

I know I know!!!

So recommend me a decent 40-46" tv for me to hook it up to properly!

PLEASE!!

My budget is 2k and as mentioned i'll be wanting to set up the PS3, Sky HD eventually and probably a 360 as well.

I'm setting up all the same stuff so i'd like to see what you all have to say. The real nightmare is the 360 hddvd and full 1080

not heard great things about the samsung, its great from blu-ray but hear its picture can be "grainy" compared to other sets and the sound is meant to awful? Where as the Sony has got great reviews (9.3/10 from cnet). Looking for a set myself and am struggling to decide! I fancy the phillips 42PF9831d or the sony but unsure what to do too. Heard the phillips has probs with a backlight band and a "green line"? , saying that most LCD's seem to have one or two problems lol cant win em all. ;)

well i think i'm going to wait until next year now but still undecided on the Tv. I'm leaning towards the sony just because i have a 40" kdl-s40a12 now and i have been very happy with it . Before i had this i had a samsung 40" lcd which blew up we are talking bang flash of light smoke the works. It was replaced for the same tv and that went bang about 6 weeks later i since found from this site it was a faulty power supple samsung was using so swapped for the sony which has been perfect ever since but now i want full hd. As said before might be a better idea to wait a little bit longer and see what else turns up. If anybody does buy one or the other please do let us all know which one because right now i can't see anything in it. Whats prices have everybody found. I found the samsung for £1482 and the sony for £1509. My local richer sounds said they would match both of these prices as long as i could prove them and do 5 years extended guarentee for 10% of the total cost.

Just got the Samsung for £1200.99 from Empire direct, only had it a couple of days. Xbox 360 connected via VGA and TOS link AMAZING!"!!!!

I think its the best looking set on the market and at that price who can argue????

can I add that i'm in exactly the same position.

Only downer for the samsung I can see is the lack of digital freeview. Apart from that, there is nothing in it. Except maybe the samsung's surround looks better

any advice would be cool

Personnally i found the high glossy surround to reflect light which was annoyong.
I had a lamp in the corner of the room and found that the reflection just kept catching my eye.
It was a Sharp i had. (similar looking set)
Now i have a duller looking sony but the picture quality more than makes up for it. Must admit the sammy and the sharp are better looking TV's when switched off. But to be honest, my sony ain't never going to be switched off, i'm over the moon with it. PQ is great on all inputs and formats. No banding, no dead pixels, no clouds, no damn buzzing. And no Shiny glossy annoying bezel. (sony did make it dull grey for a reason after all)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom