• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

SAMSUNG LE40C750 v Sony KDL-40HX803 v Panasonic TX-P42ST30B

rob619

Established Member
I have finally due to reading various posts and review sites everywhere on the net come down to these 3 sets! Im tired of looking around now..loll!

All 3 have advantages/dissadvantages, tweaks that some and some sets do not have.

Panasonic TX-P42ST30B seems to have the better picture quality and 3d crossface seems to be the best on this set, 600hz is bloody high! Also alot of people and sites seem to say panasonic are the best in tv's. I don't like its user interface, tv design compared to KDL-40HX803 and SAMSUNG LE40C750. Samsungs and sony models have much better online features...to be honest I'am going toward the LE40C750 as it has in-built 3d transmitter unlike Kdl-hx803.

So which one? Out of the 3..Samsung will cost me the most, followed by Sony then the Panasonic P42st30b. Which I can get a good price on.

My bedroom furniture has all been moved, all I'am waiting for is a TV that will delight me over the coming years :laugh:

TimmyBee86

Established Member
Isnt the Samsung last years model? i may be mistaken. If it is, i would avoid it. the 3D last year was awful.
Also heard bad things about the 3D on Sony sets.
So 3D wise - id go ST30.

I guess the real question here is LCD vs Plasma. (ps 600hz in a plasma is not the same as 50/100hz on an LCD)
What will you be using the TV for? films / games / TV / sport

Also, what prices are you getting for these TVs? a quick glance suggests the Panny GT30 is a similar price to the Sony, so i would add that to your list

TimmyBee86

Established Member
after a quick read of the reviews, it looks like:
Samsung was cheap and cheerful when it came out... Since then, its not so cheap.
Sony - OK if you got a good set. but serious edge-bleed and clouding issues. Also very iffy 3D.

I would go ST30 or GT30 if you have the money

rob619

Established Member
Isnt the Samsung last years model? i may be mistaken. If it is, i would avoid it. the 3D last year was awful.
Also heard bad things about the 3D on Sony sets.
So 3D wise - id go ST30.

I guess the real question here is LCD vs Plasma. (ps 600hz in a plasma is not the same as 50/100hz on an LCD)
What will you be using the TV for? films / games / TV / sport

Also, what prices are you getting for these TVs? a quick glance suggests the Panny GT30 is a similar price to the Sony, so i would add that to your list

Hey cheers. I had a feeling most people would recommend the ST30..Why are the Panasonic model TV's so popular on this forum? Loll, I guess they may actually be good.

I will be using it for all 3 really mainly for PS3 gaming in 3D :), then will get someone round to put an aerial in my room so I can watch sports in HD via the HD Freeview. Sony are actually the most expensive as I have to get the bloody 3D transmitter which to be honest is a joke! Should be internally fitted..It's just the style of the Panasonic ST30B that is not as attractive as the Sony and Samsung, also upon looking at videos the Internet services look dull. I like the fact Samsung has a dedicated 3D app so I can actually use that to check out the 3D stuff

rob619

Established Member
after a quick read of the reviews, it looks like:
Samsung was cheap and cheerful when it came out... Since then, its not so cheap.
Sony - OK if you got a good set. but serious edge-bleed and clouding issues. Also very iffy 3D.

I would go ST30 or GT30 if you have the money

Samsung Le40c740 is actually quite an expensive set now considering it was 2010 year model!

Sony I dont mean when you say 'if I got a good set"? So its lucky if the one I brought didnt have such issues like clouding issues etc?

Another one who recommends the GT30, but it use's Plasma, thats old technology now isn't it? Most people tend to go LED due to brighter contrast..also what about the screen burn issue?

TimmyBee86

Established Member
Well Plasma will be better for games (low lag, better blacks) and much better for sport (LCD suffer from Motion Blurr)
I really wouldnt get the Samsung. It doesnt seem to be up to scratch on modern TVs. Also, i think LCD will be annoying.
Style - Agreed the ST isnt much of a looker. Could you afford the GT30? ~850 for a 42" or ~950 for it with a blu-ray, glasses and warranty from Richer Sounds

TimmyBee86

Established Member
As for 'Old' plasma.
Plasma and LCD have been around for about the same time.
LED is still LCD - just with differnet bulbs. This means they are slimmer and more "green", but unless you spend the big bucks, they are worse. (cheap ones are 'edge-lit LED' which meants the lights are only round the edge, so you get clouding)

Screen burn - Not a problem. you would have to really abuse your TV to burn the screen (leave it on for days/weeks at a time on a static image)
Image Retention is what some people confuse with screen burn. This is when images are retained on the screen for a short time. This is not permanent and is not really related to screen burn. This can be annoying, but in reality you dont notice it. I play Xbox all the time on my plasma, and sometimes you can see a scoreboard from a game of fifa after the game has finished. But only if you're lookingfor it, and only for a short period of time.

But i would take the flaws of a plasma (Image retention, not as bright) over the flaws of a LCD (clouding, motion blur, poor blacks)

Anyone who tells you plasma is 'old tech' is trying to sell you an LED becuase they get better margins on these sets

Last edited:

rob619

Established Member
Well Plasma will be better for games (low lag, better blacks) and much better for sport (LCD suffer from Motion Blurr)
I really wouldnt get the Samsung. It doesnt seem to be up to scratch on modern TVs. Also, i think LCD will be annoying.
Style - Agreed the ST isnt much of a looker. Could you afford the GT30? ~850 for a 42" or ~950 for it with a blu-ray, glasses and warranty from Richer Sounds

Hell no, on the second part! My original budget was 400, then went to 500, now its gone to 600 pounds! Me and the mrs are going to pay half and she is not going to pay any more :facepalm:. GT30 is the better more upgraded model to the ST0B right? Yeh that is alot more expensive, I can get the ST0B for 490 pounds?! It is just the online functions kind of suck, they not as good as Sony or Samsung, like the 3D app looks cool. Also the Panasonic ST0B, 3D effects are good right?

TimmyBee86

Established Member
I'll have to take your word for it on the online functions. thats not really my bag, baby (sorry - watched Austin Powers last night...). Its got iPlayer which is all i would use, and apparently they will keep on updating whats available.
As for 3D - it is widely agreed that Panasonic have the best 3D, so yeah thats what i would go for.

And the price - Comet do the ST for 550 with 2 free glasses (although its model number is 42ST31, but its the same)
Or John Lewis do it for 550 with a 5 yr warranty but no glasses as far as im aware.

I would still put the ST30 at the top of the list (in fact, it is at the top of my list... also not sure the wife likes the idea of me getting the GT...)
At the end of the day, you look at the image of a TV - not the design.

rob619

Established Member
I'll have to take your word for it on the online functions. thats not really my bag, baby (sorry - watched Austin Powers last night...). Its got iPlayer which is all i would use, and apparently they will keep on updating whats available.
As for 3D - it is widely agreed that Panasonic have the best 3D, so yeah thats what i would go for.

And the price - Comet do the ST for 550 with 2 free glasses (although its model number is 42ST31, but its the same)
Or John Lewis do it for 550 with a 5 yr warranty but no glasses as far as im aware.

I would still put the ST30 at the top of the list (in fact, it is at the top of my list... also not sure the wife likes the idea of me getting the GT...)
At the end of the day, you look at the image of a TV - not the design.

Hmm good point, btw Austin Powers haha may give that a watch tonight! The dude is a legend! Hmmm got a fair point on the image of TV at the end of the day that's what I'am going to get it for.

Which one of the deals would you go for Comet or JL? Also for Comet I think they only give one glasses? Doesn't say two? Hmmm Panasonic ST30 may be in my room soon. Just out of interest even though I can not afford the GT30 what is better about it, cheers.

TimmyBee86

Established Member
GT30 has:
a better filter. So better in direct sunlight / harsh lighting and better contrasts
More calibration controls and therefore a better image if professionally calibrated
a THX certified preset, so you know you're getting perfect colours
FreeSat on top of the Freeview HD that you already get with ST
the ability to record onto USB, so you dont need a PVR if you want to record / pause live TV etc
A better design (subjective)
Worse lag (GT is ~25ms, ST is ~15ms)

As for JL vs Comet. Not sure... a 5 yr warranty from Comet will set you back a few hundred so JL makes monetary sense. Also you'd be buying from a decent company with good customer service.
You can always buy the glasses later, but you cant buy a warranty later...
Depends on if you want to use 3D on day one, or wait until you've got a bit more money.

Edit - If you get it from Comet, you will kill yourself if it breaks down within 5 yrs.
If you get it fro JL, and it doesnt break down, you will have forgotten you spent extra on the glasses

Last edited:

rob619

Established Member
GT30 has:
a better filter. So better in direct sunlight / harsh lighting and better contrasts
More calibration controls and therefore a better image if professionally calibrated
a THX certified preset, so you know you're getting perfect colours
FreeSat on top of the Freeview HD that you already get with ST
the ability to record onto USB, so you dont need a PVR if you want to record / pause live TV etc
A better design (subjective)
Worse lag (GT is ~25ms, ST is ~15ms)

As for JL vs Comet. Not sure... a 5 yr warranty from Comet will set you back a few hundred so JL makes monetary sense. Also you'd be buying from a decent company with good customer service.
You can always buy the glasses later, but you cant buy a warranty later...
Depends on if you want to use 3D on day one, or wait until you've got a bit more money.

Edit - If you get it from Comet, you will kill yourself if it breaks down within 5 yrs.
If you get it fro JL, and it doesnt break down, you will have forgotten you spent extra on the glasses

Yeh will Gt30 doesn't have features that would bother me greatly just the freesat tbh. I will probably get the Comet deal, I know its piece of mind if I got the 5 yr warrenty although the glasses are expensive and I do want 3d on day one, haha!

Just out of interest what is your knowledge on tv's Timmybee? How do you know so much about them? Online research or you have Panasonic already and know it is a good product?

TimmyBee86

Established Member
Well kind of a bit of both. Online (and store) research of 2011 sets (will be buying soon), but a lot of mates have got older Panasonics.
Every time i get a new TV i used to get the biggest one my money could afford. Which has left me with some rubbish TVs when my mates have got panasonics which were much better... This time, im not going to make the same mistake again.

If you're still not sure, i suggest you go to a local store (preferably one with a demo room) and ask them to set up a few TVs next to each other.
Demo rooms are great, because the lighting in places like Comet are so bright, the don't do Plasma's justice. You need to get an understanding of how the TV will look in 'normal' home lighting.

AS for the comet deal - see if you can get two sets, beucase im sure it was advertised as that recently.
Also, make sure they are 3rd generation official panasonic ones (the model number has 3D3ME in it. Its that middle 3 which menas they are 3rd gen)

rob619

Established Member
Well kind of a bit of both. Online (and store) research of 2011 sets (will be buying soon), but a lot of mates have got older Panasonics.
Every time i get a new TV i used to get the biggest one my money could afford. Which has left me with some rubbish TVs when my mates have got panasonics which were much better... This time, im not going to make the same mistake again.

If you're still not sure, i suggest you go to a local store (preferably one with a demo room) and ask them to set up a few TVs next to each other.
Demo rooms are great, because the lighting in places like Comet are so bright, the don't do Plasma's justice. You need to get an understanding of how the TV will look in 'normal' home lighting.

AS for the comet deal - see if you can get two sets, beucase im sure it was advertised as that recently.
Also, make sure they are 3rd generation official panasonic ones (the model number has 3D3ME in it. Its that middle 3 which menas they are 3rd gen)

Yes I have noticed you have got a Samsung! Haha..Japanese products are always known to be top quality relating from cars to tv's :D Hence Panasonic! So the Comets are not the latest generation one as you have suggested?

TimmyBee86

Established Member
No i think they should be. Just make sure if you buy from a store. I can see them trying to fob off some old stock on you.
Dont really trust comet as far as i could throw their employees

rob619

Established Member
Your not the first person who has said that. They must work on commission. Annoys me even stepping into comet, currys etc. John Lewis ill pop in and probably order from the Comet website? The link you have kindly provided...

rob619

Established Member
Btw I have noticed there is not USB record function which i thought was preety kool on the Samsung that you could record shows to usb :(?

TimmyBee86

Established Member
yeah its on the GT30, but not ST30. It is a bit annoying but you'll have to have a stand-alone box for that.

you can watch video on the USB, which is better than some TVs (some you can only view photos)

Re: John Lewis. You might as well try to see if they will price match the package. You might get away with getting the free glasses on top of the warranty! (all other sizes are available with the free glasses. feels a bit harsh on the 42")
But i think the reason the model is ST31 on comet is to dodge price comparison. cheeky

rob619

Established Member
yeah its on the GT30, but not ST30. It is a bit annoying but you'll have to have a stand-alone box for that.

you can watch video on the USB, which is better than some TVs (some you can only view photos)

Re: John Lewis. You might as well try to see if they will price match the package. You might get away with getting the free glasses on top of the warranty! (all other sizes are available with the free glasses. feels a bit harsh on the 42")
But i think the reason the model is ST31 on comet is to dodge price comparison. cheeky

Yeh cheeky indeed! Umm ok I give John Lewis a call now..hmm what other sizes do they do, 42 inches is big for a tv bedroom? :rotfl:

TimmyBee86

Established Member
only bigger :)
you wont really find many plasmas under 42 these days

rob619

Established Member
only bigger :)
you wont really find many plasmas under 42 these days

Ok kool Timmy, lastly you mentioned that for usb recording I need a standalone box? Is that something I can buy anyways that just plugs into the Panasonic or does the ST30B not have this function for me anyway?

TimmyBee86

Established Member
sorry i meant a standalone freeview box, like you would use with any old TV.
If you want that built in, you have to get the GT30 (or VT30... but thats even more money)

rob619

Established Member
sorry i meant a standalone freeview box, like you would use with any old TV.
If you want that built in, you have to get the GT30 (or VT30... but thats even more money)

Im confused the ST0B comes with a built in hd-freeview anyways you mean a freeview recorder right? That just plugs into the Panasonic? Btw rung up John Lewis they have the same price but they said they only do price matches not tv accessories like 3d/glasses etc :thumbsdow

TimmyBee86

Established Member
yeah freeview recorder. freeview HD is, as you rightly say, built in. but you wont be able to record using it. So you will need a freeview HD recorder if you want to do that.
But you say this TV will be in your room. Im assuming you have a TV somewhere like a sitting room. Maybe you could look into the possibilities of recording on your normal TV, then moving that onto a USB stick and taking the stick to your new TV. No idea if thats possible.

But on that note - i need to check something. The Comet website said that the ST30 doesnt have DLNA. but i thought it did.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom