• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Samsung LE40B650 vs Sony KDL40W5500 vs Panasonic TXP42G10

aiannelli

Standard Member
Hi all,

first post on this forum for me, after a very long time lurking (thanks all for the wealth of info that is available! extremely useful!)

I am looking to buy a new tv in the 600 / 700 gbp price range.

I have cut my options to 3 models

2 LCD tvs
Samsung LE40B650
Sony KDL40W5500

and a plasma

Panasonic TXP42G10
(although 42'' might already be a touch too big for my lounge...)

I would use the tv mainly to watch SKY HD and bluerays. I'll buy a HT system to go with it as well. I'll have it on a tv stand, not wall mounted.

Which one of the 3 would you go for?

Thanks in advance for any advice you will provide.

AI

marshalex

I'm in the same boat and looking for something similar. From what i've found the samsung has the best features (usb mkv playback, dnla, [email protected] etc) but lacks a 3 year warranty and has poor sound compared to the sony, which has input lag problems and some blacklight bleeding. those are the only real differences between the 2 apart from the samsung having a built-in freeview hd tuner, not sure about the sony. not sure about the plasma but the increased power usage puts me off. hope this info is helpful.

ok the argos website is misleading, doesn't have built-in freeview hd as suggested. still a cracking tv though!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom