Samsung LE40A686 Startup Problem

Violator

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Well I posted a little while ago regarding what I thought was an HDMI handshake issue, but it turns out it's not.

Basically what happens is the TV can take anywhere from 3-8 minutes to switch on. It'll go on, display HDMI1, then restart again. The only way I know it's 'on' properly is when it displays the 'no signal detected' message.

I've seen issues regarding dodgy caps in Samsung TVs, but haven't seen the issue on my model. Contacted Samsung they said basically the same thing and referred me to a Samsung authorised repair shop.

Now, is this likely to be a caps/power supply issue? If so, and Samsung won't do their 'free repair' am I better simply buying a new power supply for the unit? I'm no good with soldering to replace capacitors :)

Yes seems to be a capacitor issue (mines started doing the same thing). I set an account up on New URL and raised a query. Upshot is an engineer will be coming out to check it and if it is the capacitor issue will be fixed free of charge :)

Yes seems to be a capacitor issue (mines started doing the same thing). I set an account up on New URL and raised a query. Upshot is an engineer will be coming out to check it and if it is the capacitor issue will be fixed free of charge :)

Do you have the same model sdu1975? How long did it take for them to respond?

No it is the older LE40F86. I set my account up last Thursday and after they gave me a few suggestions reset etc I posted on my account they didn't work (last night) and I checked this evening and a service request has been raised.

So really quite quick. If you did it tonight then I would expect that come middle of next week you will be in the same position.

I'd already repaced my TV and now it appears I might have jumped the gun oh well!!!

Well Samsung advise the same thing on website. Check with local authorised dealer (who want £60 just to check it incidentally) and then tell them what they say.

No you need to set an account up and then report the problem to them. My TV is being picked up next weekend for it's free check and they confirmed it was free and that if the fix required was the capacitors then this was free also.

No you need to set an account up and then report the problem to them. My TV is being picked up next weekend for it's free check and they confirmed it was free and that if the fix required was the capacitors then this was free also.

I set up an account and reported the issue, that was the reply I got.

Hi,

This is the dialogue i have had with them. Hope this helps

26.04.2011 12:05:18

Dear
Thank you for contacting Samsung and I have pleasure in providing the
following assistance.
Kindly note that we raised a service request for you and you will be
receiving a call from the service center within the next two business
days, they will call to arrange an appointment to send an engineer for a
free of charge inspection, if the issue with the TV is the capacitor, it
will be repaired for you free of charge.
If you require any further assistance, please contact Samsung again and
we will be more than happy to help.
Kind regards,
Tina Shephard.
Online Support Team
Samsung Customer Support Centre

25.04.2011 20:21:08
I have tried to reset but the problem persists. I have checked the
downlaod page and there is no firmware upgrade.
Can you please advise on the next course of action.
Regards

22.04.2011 10:40:41

Dear
following assistance.
Regarding your inquiry, kindly reset the TV by pressing and hold the
"Exit" button in the remote for 15 seconds then choose "OK" in the reset
message, the TV will turn off by itself so turn it on and follow the
retuning steps.
- The TV should switch off please turn it on again and follow the plug
and play steps in order to retune the TV.
If the problem persists, kindly upgrade the firmware as follows:
1- Go to the Samsung web site.
2- Choose 'support' icon at the top-right of the page.
3- Enter your model code in the product search bar and press enter.
4- Choose firmware in downloads.
5- click on the ZIP or EXE upgrade file to save it to your pc, then
right click(in case of ZIP) or double click it (in case of EXE file) to
extract the files inside it.
6- move the files to USB stick and plug it in the device, go to the
'menu', 'software upgrade' and then 'USB' the device will upgrade by
itself.
Kind regards,
Sasha Williams
Online Support Team

21.04.2011 20:42:26
My Samsung TV started clicking several times before finally switching
on after 30 seconds, this relay clicking gradually got worse each time I
turned the set on. ( It turns out that this is quite a common problem
with Samsung TV’s of all sizes). The problem seems to start after the TV
is a year or two old (normally outside guarantee) and sounds like a
relay clicking on and off.
Earth Info » Samsung TV makes a strange clicking sound
YouTube - samsung clicking repair part 1

Thanks for that sdu1975, I've replied again to them reiterating the problem and asking if they will send an engineer to test the TV. Let's see......

Result. Phonecall from Authorised Repair place this morning informing me Samsung had contacted them and they will be out this week to check/repair TV. Assuming it is the caps it will be free :smashin:

That's great news. Mine was picked up yesterday. Hope any other forum members who have suffered this problem go down the same route.

I just found my LE40A686M1 set showing the same problem. Contacted Samsung service online and they say:

following assistance.
Regarding your inquiry, kindly note that this issue hasn't been reported
before, accordingly, we kindly ask you to contact the service center for
a charged repair as long as the TV is out of warranty.
Kind regards,
Ann James.
Online Support Team

Obviously this is emphatically false and that how did they own up to the fault in your cases and give you a free service?

You need to emphasise the symptoms of the clicking noise at startup.

Is that what you did with your service request? Did they manage to do the capacitor replacement for free? And was your set our of warranty?

Is that what you did with your service request? Did they manage to do the capacitor replacement for free? And was your set our of warranty?

I've never owned a Samsung Tv but have repaired dozens for those symptoms.
Even if the set is out of warranty it should be repaired for free.
You're better off phoning Samsung and tell them you read about these symptoms on the forum and it's a known/common fault. They should then arrange for a local repair company to check it.
Read the "Sticky" about the SOGA at the top of this forum.

Is it the case whereby the capacitors that they use have a short life span (1-2 years)? Thanks for your advice. Will get back to them again and stress the clicking sound. Yesterday the TV managed to turn on by itself! But now i've attempted to turn on the set throughout the whole day and it seems like its finally given up. I assume the capacitors just wont hold their charge anymore.

skeppz said:
Is it the case whereby the capacitors that they use have a short life span (1-2 years)? Thanks for your advice. Will get back to them again and stress the clicking sound. Yesterday the TV managed to turn on by itself! But now i've attempted to turn on the set throughout the whole day and it seems like its finally given up. I assume the capacitors just wont hold their charge anymore.

Yes, in effect the 4 power supply caps are poor quality and under-rated for the voltages applied across them.
They are usually easily identifiable with swollen tops.
Good luck with getting a free repair.

Sent from my iPad using AVForums

TV repaired (actually wasn't the caps apparently although they replaced them anyway) and better than ever, all done under warranty so thank you very much Samsung, you've kept another customer happy :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom