Samsung LE40A656 + Sky HD: 1080i issue

RostokMcSpoons

Novice Member
Hi,

I got Sky HD installed today and I have a small question.

If I leave the output as 1080i when I switch to a HD channel from an SD one (or vice versa), there's a significant period of black screen before it shows the picture again.

So far the only way I've found to circumvent the problem is to set the output to 720p, and surprisingly I can't tell any real difference between that and 1080i (even close-up to the screen).

Is it something I need worry about, or is there another way to circumvent it and get 1080i back? (well... I did pay for a Full HD screen, it'd be nice to say I'm using it 'properly'!)

mray

Hi,

I got Sky HD installed today and I have a small question.

If I leave the output as 1080i when I switch to a HD channel from an SD one (or vice versa), there's a significant period of black screen before it shows the picture again.

So far the only way I've found to circumvent the problem is to set the output to 720p, and surprisingly I can't tell any real difference between that and 1080i (even close-up to the screen).

Is it something I need worry about, or is there another way to circumvent it and get 1080i back? (well... I did pay for a Full HD screen, it'd be nice to say I'm using it 'properly'!)

Are you sure you didn't have it set to auto?

Mine is set to 1080i and I don't get the black screen. I do when it's set to auto though.

RostokMcSpoons

Novice Member
Well, I'm glad to say that it's now working quite happily in 1080i too.

I have *no* explanation for that, I was sure I had it in 1080i mode... it's what it defaulted to out-of-the-box, and the screen blanking was what prompted me to try Automatic and then 720p!

Anyway - a good result :clap: (not that it makes any difference to the PQ)

sueyg

Standard Member
Hi, sorry if a completely daft question, but being totally non-technical, I have been trying to find among the menus of this tv how to change the output ie 1080i, 1080p, 720 etc. Where on the menu do I do this?
Thanks in advance from a very frustrated LE40A656 owner!!

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
Hi, sorry if a completely daft question, but being totally non-technical, I have been trying to find among the menus of this tv how to change the output ie 1080i, 1080p, 720 etc. Where on the menu do I do this?
Thanks in advance from a very frustrated LE40A656 owner!!
You don't/ can't change the resolution of the TV. It will always display/ output 1080p other wise, the picture won't fill the screen. And by the very nature of LCD panels, it will display the video in a progressive fashion (the 'p' in 1080p).

Paul

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom