• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Samsung LE40A656 firmware - should I update it?

Gazza67

Standard Member
I have had my Samsung LE40A656 for about a year now and in that time I have never updated the firmware (I think my current version is 1011). Although I am happy with the picture, a part of me wonders if it would be even better if I updated to the current version (1023). The only thing that puts me off are some reports on here I have read about updates failing, resulting in the TV getting screwed up and engineer call-outs.

Not knowing what any of the previous updates have achieved, is it likely to be to my advantage if I update, or is it a case of "don't fix what isn't already broke".

If I do update, I assume I can go straight to the latest one, rather than having to update previous versions first. Also, am I right in thinking that I would need to change the software file prefix from AMD to PRL, to correspond with my current version.

Any views/thoughts would be much appreciated.

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
I responded in your other post but, I'll add some points here.

You will definitely see an improvement in the picture if you update to the newest firmware. There have been several changes that affect black levels and overall picture accuracy in the last few updates which made it easy to tell the difference in PQ from one to the other. Updating from 1011 to 1023, I have no doubt that you'll be impressed with the changes.

I've been reading reviews of the latest batch of LCD panels and with the changes, the A656 can easily match them for PQ (and in some areas better them) with the updates applied. My and another owners panel for example have a black level of 0.04 cd/m after calibration for 1023, with no loss of shadow detail. That's as good as the current batch of Panasonic plasma panels.

If you follow the instructions word for word, you'll have no issues with teh FW update. Those that have had issues, have in the main, done things they shouldn't have done, like change service menu settings etc...

I and numerous A656 owners have updated at every opportunity since buying the TV (that's probably 5 or 6 updates) and not had any issues.

Paul

Last edited:

chaupele

Standard Member
I have the same model LE40A656, and I changed bin file name from
T-AMBPEUMD-1023.0.bin
to
T-PRLPEUMD-1023.0.bin
it worked and now its better. (although when it finished LED was blinking and I had to disconnect the power until it was off, then I restarted)

smokescreen

Established Member
I have the same model LE40A656, and I changed bin file name from
T-AMBPEUMD-1023.0.bin
to
T-PRLPEUMD-1023.0.bin
it worked and now its better. (although when it finished LED was blinking and I had to disconnect the power until it was off, then I restarted)

Above advice is correct, worked for me. And blimey this firmware really does make quite a nice difference (from 1005). Appears sharper, better contrast, motion plus looks like its had a few tweaks, and the auto dimming finally works properly. Thanks for recommending this update.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom