SAMSUNG LE37R87BD vs SAMSUNG LE37R88BD

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kingdick

Hi,

I am in the fortunate position of being able to afford a new TV.

Have been looking at the LE37R88BD in currys well impressed with it.

Went to another retailer all they had was old stock available, left my contacts with them to see if they could source one, came back within the hour with bad news, could not find any on their books, but had the other model LE37R87BD for the same price, but with an additional 2 year warranty bundled in.

Does anybody know what the difference is between these to models????

I think the LE37R88BD will be Currys, Dixons and PC Worlds (DSGi group) exclusive model and the LE37R87BD will be available to other retailers. This was the case with the LE32R73BD and LE32R74BD, the 73 being the DSGi groups exclusive model. I believe the key difference on the 73/74 model(according to the Dixons website) is the colour of the strip above the table top stand. It's blue on the Dixons, Currys and PC World models. Could be something similar with the 87/88 model??

I've just bought this online from the Dixons Website. Trawled all the currys stores in central scotland for a demo but not one with it in. I hope this is a great tv for the price and would appreciate any reveiws before I take delivery of it.

Cheers

Ste

@ Numpty2000uk any chance you could write a preliminary review after you have taken del. and had a play with it.

Also I have been reading about the saga with the LE32R73bd LCD and the inferior CMO S_MVA screens being fitted instead of S_PVA screens, does anybody know of this happening with this generation, also is there a quick way of finding out by looking at the serial no. ie a few letters or numbers giving the screen identity away???

I am extremely keen on the Samsung LE37R88BD, but i cant find any reviews on it anywhere. if anyone has got it or knows anything about it, i would be very grateful if you could tell me anything about it.

Cheers

I have just got one and I am very pleased with it. I have had to alter the settings to improve the freeview picture but have now got it really good. Great with a 360 as well.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4661583&postcount=1625

The most recent pages of this thread have some info on them and a kind chap showed me how to see which panel and version the tv is.

For info from currys i asked about the 5% discount you can get using a code online and they said that was online only........so i went to go and he came after me and said 5% discount on any tv:)

Also got low monthly payments for 9 months then balance to pay.

I have just got one and I am very pleased with it. I have had to alter the settings to improve the freeview picture but have now got it really good. Great with a 360 as well.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4661583&postcount=1625

The most recent pages of this thread have some info on them and a kind chap showed me how to see which panel and version the tv is.

For info from currys i asked about the 5% discount you can get using a code online and they said that was online only........so i went to go and he came after me and said 5% discount on any tv:)

Also got low monthly payments for 9 months then balance to pay.

padlad did you try connecting a pc to it via hdmi? did u get 1:1 pixel mapping?
come on dude don't keep us waiting how about some pics :D ?

padlad did you try connecting a pc to it via hdmi? did u get 1:1 pixel mapping?
come on dude don't keep us waiting how about some pics :D ?

I want to connect my laptop to it but dont have the cable I may nip out and get one after work. Is it just a HDMI cable I need to do this? I;ll do a pic or two when I get home :)

I want to connect my laptop to it but dont have the cable I may nip out and get one after work. Is it just a HDMI cable I need to do this? I;ll do a pic or two when I get home :)

What video output does your laptop have? It's probably a vga so you better get a vga->vga cable. If it's a dvi output you have you can try connecting it via dvi->hdmi and you can find a dvi->hdmi cable easily at a shop or internet.

Padlad what do you think of the new R87/R88then?

I am stuck between getting the 40" R87/R88 or the Sony 40S2530, cant choose, they are both about the same price as well.

I have Virgin V+ so some HD stuff, but most will be SD stuff through the V+ box, and a normal DVD player and an Xbox 360

any comments, you can give on it as I take it the 37" R87/R88 will be the same as the 40" apart form the screen size you reckon?

cheers

Padlad what do you think of the new R87/R88then?

I am stuck between getting the 40" R87/R88 or the Sony 40S2530, cant choose, they are both about the same price as well.

I have Virgin V+ so some HD stuff, but most will be SD stuff through the V+ box, and a normal DVD player and an Xbox 360

any comments, you can give on it as I take it the 37" R87/R88 will be the same as the 40" apart form the screen size you reckon?

cheers

I love it but Its my first experience of a big lcd so Im not really experienced enough to say how good it is against anything else. Very easy to use and set up is a doddle. Out of the box the freeview picture wasnt great but there are a lot of settings to play with and I have got it to a really good standard now. The 360 through the component is really what has blown me away, it really is exceptional. Im not sure about the Dnie and movie plus options, I have turned Dnie off when watching freeview as it made everything a bit to bright and jagged. I love the glossy look of it and it seems very well made.....but it is a dust magnet. Like most of them I think I will need to purchase skyHD and a new dvd player to really see what it can do.

I will get a VGA -VGA cable tomorrow and hook up my laptop and report back on that.

Sorry about the pic quality, and the bloody silver stand that has to go!

DSCF0436.jpg

DSCF0435.jpg

padlad - Would you mind telling me the settings you are using to get your freeview picture to a good standard, ive recently just got my R88 and the picture quality is shocking! Thanks

padlad - Would you mind telling me the settings you are using to get your freeview picture to a good standard, ive recently just got my R88 and the picture quality is shocking! Thanks

I'll give you my settings so far but i have done this by trial and error and im still tweaking but this is it upto now.

Mode: Standard
Contrast:90
Brightness:50
Sharpness:50
Colour:50
Tint: green54/Red46
Colour tone: Normal
Backlight:3
Digital NR: Auto
DNIe:eek:ff
Movie plus:eek:n.

I left the analogue picture alone and then compared it to the freeview as i went along. Im still unsure about the DNIe thing, i have just checked it on the demo while the news is on and I might put it back on:confused: what do you think?

I also notice that the closer you get to the tv the grainier the picture will look. If you have some HD equipment/360 etc plug it in and you will cheer up:smashin:

hope this helps

Brilliant thanks for that the misses opinion is now "Thats alright innit" so thats an improvement! I see what you mean about the DNie, currently im opting for off. I dropped the digital NR to medium and the sharpness down to 45, this seem to make Coronation street look that little bit better (Keep misses happy) My next test is to try the THX optimizer off T2 so ill keep you informed of any developments. Let me know if you get yours looking any better.

What panel has yours got, myns a "C".

:) My wife was exactly the same, I tried to explain it probably wouldnt look great straight away but she had a definate scowl after 10 mins. Ill have another try with your adjustments when I get home:smashin:

My panel is "A" which im told is AUO who are in partnership with samsung.

I love it but Its my first experience of a big lcd so Im not really experienced enough to say how good it is against anything else. Very easy to use and set up is a doddle. Out of the box the freeview picture wasnt great but there are a lot of settings to play with and I have got it to a really good standard now. The 360 through the component is really what has blown me away, it really is exceptional. Im not sure about the Dnie and movie plus options, I have turned Dnie off when watching freeview as it made everything a bit to bright and jagged. I love the glossy look of it and it seems very well made.....but it is a dust magnet. Like most of them I think I will need to purchase skyHD and a new dvd player to really see what it can do.

I will get a VGA -VGA cable tomorrow and hook up my laptop and report back on that.

Sorry about the pic quality, and the bloody silver stand that has to go!

Thanks for the Pics matey it looks awsome!! any more? (Im lookin got order one of them Black/chrome glass stands for it as I too have a siver one currently, couldnt embrasses the Sammy like that! ;)

Can I ask where you ordered from and how much you paid please? also did you get an extended warranty? as I am unsure where to get from and if to get a extra warranty or not

cheers

That's awesome!
Where did you get this from? Is this the 32 inch one? Also is it the R88 or R87?

I can't wait for somebody to confirm 1:1 pixel maping over hdmi :D

What is AUO and thats good is it? how do you check I take it its the screen type? what other types?

:) My wife was exactly the same, I tried to explain it probably wouldnt look great straight away but she had a definate scowl after 10 mins. Ill have another try with your adjustments when I get home:smashin:

Thats intresting i wasn't sure whether they came with any panel other then the "C" I may get in contact with Samsung then and see if i can get a better one in myn, ill have a look at the one in dixons at lunch and see what their display model has.

What size R88 is yours please Stuart?

Where do you get it from and how much if you dont mind, also did you get a extended warranty?

My choice was betwen the Sony KDL-S2530 and the Sammy R74 or Sammy R87/R88, the Sony has just went up by about £200 from yesterday on all the sites I was lookin gso its between the R74 and the R87/R88 I think unless any better ones about, the R74 is alot cheaper tho by about £150

any help please?
Is it good for gaming? I have an Xbox 360

My R88 is a 32 inch

I got myn from Dixons and managed to pick it up for £525, it had dropped from £699 that day so happy days.

I had a R72 which is basically the R74 without the freeview, 1st one was blurry and the 2nd died. I was never really happy with the picture quality on the R72 though i did get used to it, but i am watching freeview on it and not an HD signal. So when the 2nd did i decided to get a refund and get a newer model as it claims to get rid of motion blur etc etc and as i paid 599 for the R72 ive made some money back. Ive only just really plumbed it in so have yet to decide whether i think it is better but ill let you know. If it helps the misses sister has a R74 and they love it.

Have only got a cube so can't comment on the gaming experience but im assuming through an HDMI it should be pretty good being HD.

ah ok, my Xbox 360 only does component and VGA so cant use HDMI.

I expect the newer generation of Sammy to be better you would hope yes than the older R74 (not sure how long been out)

Hopefully motion blue etc as yuo say are now fixed better

The 32" R88 is now £599, my hands are itchy wether to order now or what

whats the sound like on the newer R88 as the R74 were supposed to be rubbish any improvements?

If you want to go up to a 40" amazon have a good deal.:thumbsup:

Link

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom