Samsung LE37M87 or LG 37LF66

garlik_bread

Novice Member
I'm torn between these two 37" LCDs at the minute.

They are both 37", full HD 1080p with all the necessary connections; 3x HDMI's, Scarts, VGA etc.

The Samsung appears to have better contrast ratio, and is a brand i'd rather trust...plus it looks better IMO. But i've heard the M87 has some issues with 24p from PS3? Or has this been resolved with new firware?

I can get the LG for £565 and the Samsung for £583, so theres barely any difference in price at all.

I'll be ordering on the 15th (payday), so input would be appreciated :thumbsup:

ChrisGgr

The 24p issue is fixed,however there have been LOADS of bugs on the M87,now its also old the new range came.Also the LF66 is also old and both performance is low and has backlight bleeding issues.If you cant go to 40",then the Toshiba 37XV503/5 is the best choice along with Panasonic 37LZD85

badbob

Banned
I wouldn't say Samsung are the more reliable brand, in fact I had a LG before and it didn't have the problems my Samsung M86 did/has.

garlik_bread

Novice Member
The 24p issue is fixed,however there have been LOADS of bugs on the M87,now its also old the new range came.Also the LF66 is also old and both performance is low and has backlight bleeding issues.If you cant go to 40",then the Toshiba 37XV503/5 is the best choice along with Panasonic 37LZD85
I had been looking at the Sony 40" V3000 but decided that 40" was a tad too big for the room. Also, the fact that it's £150 more kinda swayed my decision.

I'm on a budget so the fact that the M87 & LF66 are slightly older doesnt bother me too much. Not liking the sound of the bugs on the M87, it looked like a good set from the spec.

That Toshiba looks pretty good, slightly more expensive at just over £600 delivered. Is it much better than the 2 options then?

ChrisGgr

Its not the sound issues with M87 there were a lot picture issues,definitely the 37XV503 is a better option

garlik_bread

Novice Member
Well i've now 'narrowed' it down to 4 models:

Sony 40" V3000
Samsung 37" M87
Toshiba 37" XV503
LG 37" LG5000

On paper, the LG5000 comes out tops. Best contrast ratio, response time etc. and mid-priced. But so far very few people have commented on it. Might just take the plunge come payday on the 15th.

ChrisGgr

Between those the 40V3000 and the 37XV are the best options.I would celect the sony for the better blacks and the bigger size

SebCarr

Novice Member
I have the Tosh, it's great.

Reviews of the LG suggest it doesnt live up to its specs. It has a very quick response time, yet there are issues with blurring/smearing. It has a very good (dynamic) contrast ration - but achieves this through very unsubtle dynamic backlight dimming).

garlik_bread

Novice Member
Between those the 40V3000 and the 37XV are the best options.I would celect the sony for the better blacks and the bigger size
My main concern with the Sony is that it would lireally fill my TV unit...and might be too big for the room. We've currently got a 30" Sony CRT in there, and the extra 10" might be overbearing (we're sat about 2m from the screen, so 6.5ft). Well, that and the extra price! lol :thumbsup:

Only heard good things about the XV, so might go there...but am waiting for a review on the LG5000 as the specs are really good.

SebCarr

Novice Member
There are reviews of the 32 and 42 LG 5000 around, they're not bad but not great. Slightly worse than the Tosh equivalents. One user on here has the 37 LG , and is distinctly unimpressed with the dynamic dimming, which it appears cannot be turned off.

ChrisGgr

My main concern with the Sony is that it would lireally fill my TV unit...and might be too big for the room. We've currently got a 30" Sony CRT in there, and the extra 10" might be overbearing (we're sat about 2m from the screen, so 6.5ft). Well, that and the extra price! lol :thumbsup:

Only heard good things about the XV, so might go there...but am waiting for a review on the LG5000 as the specs are really good.
Your distance is good for the 40" anyway but you know better your room

garlik_bread

Novice Member
Your distance is good for the 40" anyway but you know better your room
I'm sure i'll change my mind 100 times beore i plump for something, but at the moment i'm now set on the 40" SOny as you reccomended. I figure if it will fit....do it. :thumbsup:

Still 9 days till payday though so watch this space :D

garlik_bread

Novice Member
Ok, next question is what of the above suggested TV's do 1080p over VGA?

Cheers :thumbsup:

ChrisGgr

The sony doesnt do 1080p over VGA but yes via component,the LG is not sure yet

garlik_bread

Novice Member
I've read the 37XV503 doesnt do 1080p over VGA either, which is a shame.

But i've noticed the sAMSUNG M87 DOES do 1080p over VGA so now thats back in the running! damnation.

ChrisGgr

I would not resist to the XV just for the VGA,I would avoid the M87

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
I had been looking at the Sony 40" V3000 but decided that 40" was a tad too big for the room. Also, the fact that it's £150 more kinda swayed my decision.

I'm on a budget so the fact that the M87 & LF66 are slightly older doesnt bother me too much. Not liking the sound of the bugs on the M87, it looked like a good set from the spec.
Am I right in think the LE40M87 uses a better panel the LE37M87, I'm sure I read this somewhere, hence the 40" being recommended over the 37" in various threads I've read?

ChrisGgr

Yeah the 40M87 ha a better panel however the bugs are still on all sizes

garlik_bread

Novice Member
I see your point. how important is it to me to have 1080p over VGA, rather than a buggy set? hmm.

Why is there not one set that can do it all and more for £50! :rolleyes:

TVMovie

Standard Member
I've the LE37M86 (which I believe is essentially identical to the M87). It's a great set, with decent blacks and a very crisp image. The colours aren't quite perfect, but with a bit of tweaking it can look very good. I've not yet experienced any of the reported bugs (having owned the set for a month now), so perhaps many of them have ironed out at this stage. The internal sound isn't great, but that's to be expected really.

Watching both sets side by side, I found the LG to have weaker blacks and a generally 'weaker' image than the Samsung (of course calibration settings may be the cause here).

Recommended. :smashin:

ChrisGgr

Hmm if only the bugs had been ironed out!Anyway to the OP,I dont know how much you need the 1080p VGA but I would still live withought it for a more reliable set

garlik_bread

Novice Member
Just had a reply from LG:

-----------Reply to Customer Inquiry------------
Thank you for your email The 37LG5000 will support a 1080p on Component and HDMI connections. It does not support 1080p on VGA or RGB. Best regards, LG Electronics UK Helpdesk Email: [email protected] ----------------------------------- LG UK Customer services Tel. 0870 607 5544 / 0818 27 6954 for Ireland Monday - Friday from 9am – 8 pm Saturdays 6

Damn.

garlik_bread

Novice Member
Ok then, it's payday at 12 midnight!

Currently 99% decided on the Toshiba 37XV503DB from Play.com:

£629 with 5% discount total = £598 incl. delivery.

Seems like a steal to me. Anyone want to put any last minute doubts in my mind? :smashin:

ChrisGgr

No doupts just get it!

garlik_bread

Novice Member
Order confirmed :D

Toshiba Regza 37" 37XV503/505DB

Wonder if they'll ship the 503 or the 505. Maybe both? lol