• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Samsung LE37A656A

Richard

Distinguished Member
In the absence of a Samsung owners thread I thought I'd post here.

Anybody got one of these???

In the market for a new TV and this is the only one (in my price range) that really fits the bill.

37 inch will be perfect for my lounge. Connected to Sky HD, PS3 for blu ray (although I am looking at the Sony BDP-S550) and a 360.

It'll be used to watch HD football and cricket, blu rays and gaming mostly. I also want 100hz.

Is this a good buy or can anybody recommend an alternative. I can get the above set for about 650 bat.

Thanks.

:smashin:

Last edited:

ziffius

If you can go for a 40", otherwise the 37" A686 should be better bet than A656 as it has double the contrast ratio.

jaycey

Standard Member
Ive had the 37inch for about 2 months now and im well impressed.
It was my first lcd and I too wanted nothing bigger than a 37.

I had a look at the Sony equivalant (cant remember the model number) and it got a slightly better review picture wise, but not by much!

The things that made my mind up was...it does have superb picture quality, deep...deep blacks. The red bezell just oozes a bit of class. 4 HDMI sockets, The side USB, I have used mine for picture viewing, MP3's and a firmware upgrade.
The touch sensitive controls on the bezel are a nice touch rather than having buttons that stick out.

The 37inch doesnt have the glossy screen, for me this is a plus.
The remote is nice with the backlight feature.

I have mine connected to a PS3 and SD Virgin box. I prefer the picture of the built in tuner than the picture of the virgin box and the picture from the PS3 through HDMI is superb!

I used the picture settings from HDTV Test ( http://www.*/Samsung-LE40A656/Settings.htm ) for the 40inch and found them great.

I have found only one minor down side, the built in digital tuner is a bit slow to respond from remote inputs.

For £650 I think it is a good buy (I paid 680 delivered)

You wont be dissapointed!

Jason

rusty mechanic

hi guys
if you wait till tomorrow, i can give you some feedback on the 37" 686 which should arrive in the morning. i'm very pleased after reading jaycey's comments on the 37" 656 as everyone keeps aying "get the 40 inch" and was a bit woorried that the 37" model would be a let down. on paper, the 686 should be better than the 656 because it has double the contrast ratio but we shall see.

ziffius

Richard

Distinguished Member
hi guys
if you wait till tomorrow, i can give you some feedback on the 37" 686 which should arrive in the morning. i'm very pleased after reading jaycey's comments on the 37" 656 as everyone keeps aying "get the 40 inch" and was a bit woorried that the 37" model would be a let down. on paper, the 686 should be better than the 656 because it has double the contrast ratio but we shall see.

Cool, will look forward to hearing about it.

Richard

Distinguished Member
hi guys

How are you finding it Rusty??

peper

Standard Member
No, the LE37A686 has a 35000:1 contrast ratio. It states on the John Lewis website who seemed to have it first in the UK. RM also saw it instore @ JL with the 35000:1 ratio. RM should be able to confirm when he get's his set.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-televisions/809581-samsung-a686-series.html

Hello! I am a lucky 686 owner i bought it yesterday and i can say its a hell of a 37" ,beautiful design and very simple looks.
I can tell that yes indeed this set has 35000:1 ratio, unless they have sticked the wrong info on this set box and frame ;)
This is not my first lcd i previously owned a 42" sammy it wasn't full HD but it was an OK telly, as a previous sammy owner i was confident on this brand and just went to the store and bought one!
I was delighted when unboxing it and as soon as it was on its place i could admire its simplicity...its damm gorgeous :D after its simple freeview setup i could only smile ...Yes even with a crappy tv cable and about 30% of the reception signal i still have a wonderfull image!!! (almost on every ch).
the remote its good for elder people with sight problems (dont get me wrong) but found it quite usefull with its back light, huge buttons and stylish design.
connected to the pc trough vga cable just to try it out and i could easily display 1920*1080 60hz and the hd movies looked quite good though i am waiting for my new DVI-HDMI cable to see if i can get even better results. from what i have seen in only a couple of hours i cant wait to have a BDplayer to see this babys best performances.
still have a lot of tests to do and would be happy to post the results.

hope this kind of encourage you to go forward with this set, becouse its REALLY GOOD!!! ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom