Samsung LE32S71 Picture Quality Help!!!!

dezmaas

Standard Member
Reaction score
I finally bought myself a Samsung 32" LCD tv today. I rushed home, installed it, turned it on and my heart sank.

The picture was rubbish, with loads of artifacts on the screen, just like I saw on many LCD's in the stores. I assumed that was due to the video feed being split between many tv's in the store.

The picture from SKY and my DVD player connected via scart is woeful, from my cable it's better but not great.

The only way to get a half decent picture is to reduce the sharpness to 0.

A sales assistant in another store told me that the picture on the LCD's via scart leads can sometimes be bad especially if using cheap scart leads (which I am) He showed me the difference between a cheap lead and an expensive lead and it was miles better.

Is this normal for LCD's? I don't like the thought of splashing the cash for a crappy picture. My old 14" portable has a 1 million % better picture than the LCD.

I have also been advised elsewhere to try connecting with either hdmi or component connections instead of scart.

Help!!

One of the reasons LCDs in shops show so many artifacts is because of edge enhancement, ie. sharpness is too high.
If you have HDMI output on your DVD player you should use it else component will be the next best choice.
Once you have got the best connections sorted turn the contrast up to 100% as having it lower can reduce sharpness, then turn down the sharpness as far as it will go, get used to the picture for a while and then only if necessary increase it to give you a picture you are comfortable with.

The only way to get a half decent picture is to reduce the sharpness to 0.
That's correct, turning the Sharpness up gives the picture an edgier look but removes detail from it and emphasises artefacts. Leave it down.

The Samsung LCDs aren't the best for video processing but they shouldn't be unwatchably bad. Just make sure your Sharpness isn't too high and use Component or HDMI connection when you can, as Roger said.

Sorry to say it but you might just find that LCD isn't good enough for you . (It certainly isn't for me)

I bought a panasonic 26lxd500 for a friiend a few weeks back and despite this being regarded as one of the best LCDs available and despite me tweaking the hell out if it: and I'm far from being a novice when it comes to calibrating video displays....

It just didn't cut the mustard. Too many artifacts generated by the screen , too high a black level and some distinctly whacky colour behaviour.

The panny 42PHD8 plasma I have frankly made the LCD look silly ( my wife also remarked on it) and I'd have to say even the panasonic LCD was significantly better than any of the equivalent samsungs.

My older panny 37pw5 plasma also would have beaten the pants of the LCD.

Components connectors are the red blue and green yes? I have the red white and yellow connectors at home. I tried those and got a black and white wobbling image. Are these the same or different?

Red/White/Yellow markings on sockets usually represents:
Red = Audio Right
White = Audio Left
Yellow =Composite (note: not "Component") Video.

Component video needs 3 cables for the video alone; audio is separate. Sockets are usually coloured red/green/blue (but note: Component is not the same as RGB).

If you are using SCARTs, the most common mistake is to use composite video. You should always use RGB.

This is not usually cable dependent; most SCART cables have all the necessary connections inside. It's nearly always a matter of setting in the source device and/or using a compatible input on the display.

So, your next step is to go looking for RGB settings in your equipment and ensure, 110% that's what you're using. If you can't detect any change in image quality when you switch between RGB and composite, then your RGB isn't getting through......

I connected the TV to the Sky digital and DVD with a Gold plated scart lead and a component connector and the picture is still terrible. There are white vertical lines every 4 inches on the screen.

I went back to the shop today and they told me it sounds like it's faulty and I can bring it back. He told me LCD picture should be better than a CRT. Mine is a million times worse.

Any ideas what these white lines could be?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom