SAMSUNG LE32R88BD or Samsung LE32T51B or Sony Bravia KDL32S2030U???

mp1981

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Looked around the forum and threads and impressed with the knowledge and opinions so thought I'd ask...

Of the 3 tvs in the subject header, which would you go for? Only just started looking for an LCD and £600 is pretty much my (well, my gf's imposed) limit so what do you reckon? Pros & cons?

Samsungs - http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/sto...&page=Product&fm=11&sm=undefined&tm=undefined

http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/sto...d&tm=undefined&sku=218711&category_oid=-28723

Sony - http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...eview_HD_Ready_Widescreen_LCD_TV/Product.html

Hi, to make things easier for you, you can take the T51B of your list. It's an older model.

Choosing between SAMSUNG LE32R88BD or Sony KDL32S2030U... i think it would be best if you go to a shop to see for yourself.

Personally i prefer the (exterior) design of Samsung.

Really appreciate that, thanks. Do you think you pay up just for the Bravia name? Price seems reasonable but I'm guessing it's quite old if it's come down that much. The Samsung is listed as "Brand New" on the Dixons website...Also means I can get it before the weekend...Is there really not much diff between them?

i still have the impression LCD's are still in the early days. you wont regret getting the older one, because if you dont have a HD-TV already you'll still be blown away.
saying that you may want to go with the new samsungs, i heard they have 3HDMI and even though Sony screen quality are meant to be better, you migt not notice the difference in this case.
samsungs design is also nicer, *my opinion* apart for VERY selected sony designs, their designs are absolute sh... rubbish :)

That's what I'm thinking, I'm not spending a huge amount, it's my first LCD so it's going to look good whatever. But for the sake of c.£70, I might as well get the newer Samsung model I reckon. Though the Sony looks good (IMO). Going to have to pop into a shop tomorrow I think...

I'm just intrigued to know what the difference between the R87 and the R88 is...

hhhhhhhmmmmmmmm........I am thinking of getting one of these samsung.
The thing is, your talking nearly a hundred quid difference between the new and old.
I for one, would want to know what the new one has over the old. The problem is its so new, no ones got one yet.
Has anyone had a proper HD demo of both these screens?

See, it's tricky isn't it?! I will go into a shop to look at the Samsung...I just hope I'm not being put of the Sony by the "Anti-Sony brigade" which I get the feeling there might be an underlying current of on here...

I really like the Sony design but if a newer tv is there for the same price, perhaps I'm just falling for the hype/advertising/bouncing balls...

I can't give you any personnel experience but from the reviews i've seen, the sony is the best but that is between the old samsung and the sony.
Which? rate the sony best then the panasonic.

has anyone managed to see the new r88 in action. With a discount code, i could pick this up for 488 delivered off dixons. I am a little worried that with such a high spec - 3 hdmi's etc,that they must have cut some serious corners to sell it at that price. Or maybe lcd prices are just dropping?

has anyone managed to see the new r88 in action. With a discount code, i could pick this up for 488 delivered off dixons. I am a little worried that with such a high spec - 3 hdmi's etc,that they must have cut some serious corners to sell it at that price. Or maybe lcd prices are just dropping?

I have just spent a good hour looking at the R88's. In both 32" & 40"

The 32" was running alongside an older R74 40" and old 32" There was definitly a better picture coming out of the R88 but that was via a HD DVD going through component.

The 40" was running alongside an older version of a 42"(i think) sammy and a Sammy 42" plasma. Again all running on the same channel albeit what looked like a SD channel or DVD. The R88 was much better (a lot less pixelation to my eye's) than the other two.

I asked the guy there and he said the R88 is 100mhz??? Is that right. If so i think i might have ended ny 2 month search :lol:

I already have a R74 and apart from some SD & Footie problems i love it.

Jed.

thanks jed, so you would recommend samsungs to me in general for non-sd sources? - any idea why the price is relatively low for new tv?

has anyone managed to see the new r88 in action. With a discount code, i could pick this up for 488 delivered off dixons.

Any chance of sharing the code? I can get it for around £520, using Egg Money 10% Cash Back and a £10 off voucher, but a bit more off and it may just push me over the edge

thanks jed, so you would recommend samsungs to me in general for non-sd sources? - any idea why the price is relatively low for new tv?

The set looked excellent via HD, My DVD player only upconverts but i am very happy with that on my sammy R74. The pics look better than the old Panasonic plasma i had.
Price wise i aint got a clue. It just looks like they Samsung are saturating the market with their product andi bet a lot of people are buying them. Maybe someone else can come along with that answer :)
Look at the Toshiba's they are dropping something like £20 a day on the newer LCD's.

Jed.

Any chance of sharing the code? I can get it for around £520, using Egg Money 10% Cash Back and a £10 off voucher, but a bit more off and it may just push me over the edge

Yeah i wouldn't mend a bit of this aswell. :)

sorry, probly my fault, that figure of 488 is for the 26 inch version of the tv and that includes the 10 pound off im sure youse already know about - does anyone know if the 26 inch version has 3 hdmi's as well....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom