Samsung LE32R87BDX Vs SONY KDL-32S3020U (at Costco)

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by davidmbell, Jan 16, 2008.

Tags:
  1. davidmbell

davidmbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Leeds/Bradford (depends which side of the road I'm
    Ratings:
    +24
    Called into Costco last night as they've had a stock of the Samsung LE32R87BDX for £458 inc VAT and three year warranty - which compared to everywhere I've checked is a great price! They had hundreds a few weeks back, then sold out, but I was told they were getting six more in on the 11th. They still had those six left last night.

I have been umming and aaahing about getting the Samsung for a while now, then thinking I don't need to spend so much on a spare tv for the bedroom - thinking I'd go for the £300 Acoustic Solutions that a few people have got from Argos. I don't really have the money for the Samsung so this may be futile but at Costco I got the chance to compare the Samsung and a Sony KDL-32S3020U next to one another.

Now the Samsung when I've seen it with HD looked amazing, but it was stood alone so you couldn't directly compare.

When I went last nigth it was stood next to the aforementioned Sony, using a SD signal via RF feed (of the Transformers DVD).

The Sony just looked WAY better than the Samsung. The flesh tones were more natural, and the edges of things more precise, less blocky. There were a few scenes with a yellow Transformer and the Samsung had a funny tinge to the yellows. Whereas the Sony looked natural (as natural as a yellow transformer can be I guess). There was a scene with some flames and the Samsung had a red tinge to the edge of the flames as they 'licked' - almost like a smearing to the edge. The Sony did the flames a perfect justice.

Now I had a fiddle with the Samsungs settings but couldn't get it as nice as the Sony.

Pretty sure they're 'out of the box' settings but the Sony was just much better.

Is it a better set? It was a lot more dosh (£528 inc 3 yr warranty) - which as I've said is WAY too much for what I want to spend, but I think if I had to live with red shadows and blockiness from a set that was supposed to be an award winner then I'd be dissapointed.

Anyone also able to compare these two?

PLEASE don't throw the supposedly excellent Pannys into the equation as they're more again! (and without 3yr warranty).

David

2. ChrisGgr

ChrisGgr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,499
    Well,both very good models.I have also compared both and the sony was too in my viewing better

3. dzam

dzam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can wait till 18.02.2008, the price will down to £411 inc vat. (with spring voucher - £50 off). Then make it the cheapest deal on the market, i think. :D

4. skipton01

skipton01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Correct - I'm waiting 3 weeks to get one of these. £411 is an absolute steal for this set - currently listed at £700 in What HiFi!!!

It is technically as good a set as the Sony (they use the same panel, a 32" Samsung!) but the processing differs.

Where the Sammy really scores is the ability to colour balance without going into the service menu. That way, you can get a perfect (almost) D65 picture with the correct calibration tools.

Actually, even in the service menu, this facility has been removed from the Sony, so you're stuck with either Warm, Neutral or Cool.

As to availablity, Costco will get sets in to cover this offer and if they run out, they ALWAYS honour the voucher with an equivalent set.

Bide your time and bag the bargain!

Cheers,

Mike

5. Jamie Bug

Jamie Bug
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What's this? I'm interested in getting the R87 in a few months and at the moment it's £450 at its cheapest, without the warranty. Where would I be able to get this spring voucher? And does it apply only in-store, I could I use it on the Costco website?

6. TaNeR_08

TaNeR_08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
  7. skipton01

skipton01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    If you are a Costco member, you will have been sent the Spring voucher booklet, which you can use in store only.

Costco don't operate a web-sales service and you need to be a member (or know a member) to shop there.

Cheers,

Mike

8. Jamie Bug

Jamie Bug
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ah, I see, that's a shame :rolleyes:.

I don't plan to get one until March so perhaps the price will be lowered elsewhere by then.