Samsung LE32R87/88- some final questions before the plunge

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by AdamK, Sep 13, 2007.

Tags:
  1. AdamK

AdamK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi everyone,

After lots of research on here and around the internet I think Ive finally decided on getting one of these tellys, based on its fairly sold all-round reviews. Before I do the damage to my credit card theres a few things Id like to clear up if possible.

Firstly- I was hoping to spend around £400 for my new set. For this model Im current seeing prices of around £450-460. I dont suppose anyone knows of any wonderful website out there which will do it for less, or a good current promotional code or something?

Secondly- Ive trawled through these forums trying to find out if its possible to wall mount this TV, but the few posts on it have been very inconclusive- Can anyone who owns this set settle this once and for all?

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly Id like to know peoples opinions on how this set performs on an SD broadcast, as this is what i will predominantly be watching. I do not have sky at the moment, and do not intend to get it anytime in the near future. This TV will mainly be used for SD viewing (with the built in freeview) and gaming on the PS3. Considering all this Id appreciate it if someone could let me know if ive made a glaring mistake with this choice compared to other units.

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Adam

2. kangorillamoose

kangorillamoose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Adam,

Yes you can definitely wall mount this TV - I know because I've got one in my bedroom. It takes a standard Vesa 200x200 mount. Don't be tempted by a mount which says up to 32" as these are usually Vesa 100x100 or 200x100 and it doesn't have holes which will fit these smaller brackets. The 200x200 is usually for 37" and above but fits this model perfectly.I managed to get a good twin arm unit from ebay for £30.

Now the bad news. If you read the thread for M series Samsungs started by KeanosMagicHat about Freeview judder, you will find this is any ongoing problem which seems to affect all series of Samsung LCDs worldwide at the moment. Samsung UK have escalated it to Korea but as yet there is no fix due. I can confirm it exists on my R series (LE32R87BDX) but at the moment I'm just living with it until I find a nicer looking model to replace it with ! If you don't intend to use the inbuilt tuner I think it's a cracking TV. If you do need the tuner, think twice. You may be lucky and get one that doesn't judder (the M series poll was about 65% judder, 35% ok)

Hope this helps.

3. davejm

davejm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    This might be a long shot, but do you know anyone that is a member of Cost Co (trade discount warehouse)?

That Samsung is £460, but you get a 3 year warranty included which is fantastic. Not only that, but they're no quibble when it comes to returns, so if you get one with freeview judder you can take it back no problems. You can slo pick and choose your box from the warehouse so you can make sure you get a recently made set.

4. AdamK

AdamK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi guys, thanks for your responses- just the sort of info I was looking for.

I had stumbled across the 'M' series judder thread, but had heard little about it in all of the R series reviews I read. But theres no substitute for first hand reports I guess. I will just have to hope for the best with my set I suppose!

For the record I managed to purchase mine on ebay for £385 with £25 delivery, which constitutes a good deal I hope!

Good news for the brackets though, cheers. Ill have to nip out to the shops to find a nice tilting one for it. This might sound like an incredibly basic question, but I take it that its easy to remove the TV from the mount should I want to bring it downstairs for a gaming session with the guys?

Thanks again.