Samsung Le32R74BDX worth getting new DVD player

d1kel

Standard Member
Having just recieved my first LCD a Samsung LE32R74BDX as a present, I was wondering if it was worth replacing my exisiting DVD player (Ronin 907) to an upscaler like the Samsung HD860?

Will i see any benefit?

I am not sure what to expect from the TV and DVD player so my expectations may be a bit off?

Any advice gratefully recieved.

F

Funky-Junk

Hi D1kel,

How did it go with your setup as i have the same tv and will be getting the HD860 on weds?

Could you tell me what setting you have used if you have your dvd player by now and which cables you used?.

Regards Funky

lemaru

Standard Member
i have the LE32R51B and until recently has the Samsung HD950 player.

I had it hooked up via my AV Amp using Coax and hooked to the TV via HDMI.

I must admit, it was a drastic imporvement on my old Philips I had hooked up via scart.

Beware with the Samsungs though that you cannot output different audio settings via HDMI and Optical/Coaxial at the same time, therefore if connected via HDMI and using an AV amp then you will get an annoying "Audio not supported" message on the screen, which u have to manually turn off everytime you power on the DVD player.

This can be fixed with a hacked firmware, however this killed my player.

I would advise against the samsung and go for something such as the Sony which alows for setting the sound on the different outputs independantly...

just my 2 cents!

F

Funky-Junk

Hi there thanks for the quick reply,

To be honest its the picture i'm after not so much the sound have a sony RDR-HX510 and once conected to me new LE32R73bd the picture was shocking to say the lest.

Ordered the HD-860 for £67 from pixmania really just to play sd dvd's with out the blockyness in the dark bits and back grounds on the films.

Ordered some coponent leads for the sony as well to see if the picture would be any better on the LE32 useing the progressive oon the sony.

Any help advice would be great.

Regards Funky

lemaru

Standard Member
i found that as with HDMI the picture on my Xbox, Xbox 360 and DVD player was a major, and i mean MAJOR, improvement via component than scart/composite

i think you will find that component leads for your old player and running it in progressive scan will be a vast improvement... as for upscaling on the samsung u may or may not notice much difference.....

you will be happy with the samsung, as was I until you intend to use a surround sound amp...

Samsung HD860 is 61 quid on Amazon inc P+P too :D i would go for another one but i cant be doing with that annoying message and dont want to risk killing another one with firmware updates! They shoudl really release some firmware updates or learn from their mistakes and change things on the newer models!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom