• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Samsung LE32R74BDX vs Toshiba 32WLT66

E

Eidolon

First post here so go easy on me :)

I'm looking to get a decent 32" LCD for around £800. I've done quite a bit of searching and have narrowed it down to two models (I think):

Samsung LE32R74BDX
Toshiba 32WLT66

Here's what I'm thinking. Mind you I have never seen either of these in person (I know, I know, I'll have a look soon. Just wanted opinions as well.)

Picture quality: Tie. Quite similar. Correct me if I'm wrong here (actually I'm quite sure I am).

Sound: Tosh. I'm going to need to rely on the built in speakers until I can afford a home theatre system. From what I understand teh Tosh has teh better speakers and also has the SRS WOW factor.

Inputs: Tosh. Two HDMI vs one.

Design: Sammy. Piano black is beautiful. Seamless. Still might get quite dusty.

Price: Tie. Can get both for around the same.

Winner? You tell me. If there is something about image quality in the Sammy that blows away the Tosh then I'll take the Sammy. Otherwise the sound quality and inputs kinda have me won over.

Thoughts, comments, much appreciated.

Oh, one more thing. If I'm missing a great LCD (perhaps something from LG) please let me know.

PS - Can anyone give me a quick update on whatever happened to the 32" HD CRTs?

Cool-hand

Tosh without adoubt! Upscaled dvds look wonderful and twin hdmi will save you a lot of grief in the now and near future.

ch

Andy__C

Standard Member
Are you gonna be putting a PC signal into the TV too??

I was decided on the Toshiba...... but a PC input for various usage was very importatn, and it seems well documented that the Toshiba is a real kent to get working properly with that........

GUtted as I wanted that TV!

E

Eidolon

Are you gonna be putting a PC signal into the TV too??

I will mainly be streaming PC files through an XBox 360. That should be fine, right? What's wrong with the PC input? Bad quality or just hard to set up?

Anybody think the 32" CRTs are worth it? Price/performance/problems? I read something about warping earlier. Is this a real issue with the samsung crts?

Andy__C

Standard Member
I don't own the Tosh.... but from every report I;ve read - its near on impossible to get a 1:1 pixel map.... or ideal resolution/screen size on it....

Very very hit and miss...... with most people missing... and maybe it depends on your graphics card too.....

Other than that - it sounds the perfect TV!!!!!

Samsung looks nicer though..... (one thing to bear in mind if your girlfriend has a say on the matter)

Comparing the 2 in the shops, the Samsung and Tosh had near on identical picture quality..... but from everything I;ve read, no TV picture looks like it does inthe shop when u get it home and tweak it......

As for CRT.... I;ve heard the new ones perform well...... I've still seen smaller cars though..... :devil:

E

Eidolon

Okay, thats not too good. What if you wanted to stream a file from your PC through the XBox. Would that be affected by the same problems?

E

Eidolon

Oh, Andy, wanted to ask another question about 1:1 pixel mapping.

(First, if there's a thread explaing this then please feel free to direct me there.)

What exactly does a TV with 1:1 pixelmapping do when connected to a PC vs one that doesn't have it?

So native resolution is 1366x768 right? So lets say I connect my PC to both TVs and send try to use my computer at 1024x768. Theoretically I should just get balck bars on the side right? Now if it were a movie (with horizontal bars) on my computer screen, I could use the TV zooms function to cut off the the side bars, and presumably some of the top bars too.

How do people normally do this?

rob_brum

Cool-hand said:
Tosh without adoubt! Upscaled dvds look wonderful and twin hdmi will save you a lot of grief in the now and near future.

ch

Whats the tosh like playing games through a 360?

E

Eidolon

So I've scoured these forums for a consensus. I've made a decission based on these reasons:

First, the problems with 1:1 pixel mapping on the Tosh seem quite hard to over come. I'd rather not have to deal with that. While the Smasung doesn't seem able to do 1:1 over all inputs, it apparently can on VGA, which is what I need.

Second, it seems that if you turn off DNIe on the Samsung you get similar picture quality to the Toshiba. Maybe not identical, but close enough.

Third, the sound will suffer a little (ok, a lot) on the Samsung, but I plan on getting a home theatre setup eventually so I think I can live with it (barely).

Finally, I found the Samsung for £709. Can't say the same for the Toshiba. That and the better looks of the Samsung cinch the deal for me. Oh, and I've heard the Tosh remote is a pain to use (another factor).

So hello Samsung, here I come.

Cool-hand

Hi Eidolon

No the Tosh remote is a joy, its very ergonmic and responsive. I dont know where you heard that. The big big plus is the twin hdmi. You really dont wanna be switching leads every ten mins of using a switcher so i would say... If you can wait just a little longer till September/November and see what the new av financial year brings us.

You may regret it if you dont after all, the models you are looking at are nearly a year old themselves.

Rgds

CH

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom