samsung le32r74bdx black levels

stephen seymour

Standard Member
Reaction score
i've recently brought the samsung le32r74, on the whole i'm pleased with it i've managed to turn off the dynamic dimming which was annoying but i'm still left with one problem.

i've noticed that the black levels are not as good as i've heard or read. if i put the screen on to one of the av channels and a black screen is shown you can see areas that are brighter than in other areas. when you watch a dvd though any connection these brighter areas show up in very dark scenes. it's quite distracting and i've fiddled around with all the usuall brightness and contrast controls even put it in high energy saving mode without success.

has anyone else got this problem or know what it could be?

All LCDs will leak some backlight, and this is what your description seems to describe. LCDs are best watched with some level of ambient lighting; not in total darkness.

thanks for that. i've e-mailed samsung to double check that it's normal, shame because it's a great tv apart from that.

been on to samsung, they say it's normal. if anyone has this tv could you please see if there is leakage with your tvs? put it in av mode to get a black screen and see if there is greyish patches over the screen.

any feedback would be appreciated.

My LG 37LZ55 leaks a lot of backlight. I can't and I won't live with it. :mad:

You shouldn't have bought S-IPS (LG.Philips) as they have the poorest black levels, and most of them have backlight bleeding, just like those dreaded UltraSharp (2005) due to the case design. That's right; the backlight bleeding is caused by the design.

Backlight bleeding on Sony BRAVIA (2006) is very minimal or virtually none.

You guys better read this lol

just switched my to av mode and can't really see a problem with it to be honest, definetely NO grey patches. The whole screen is a uniform colour.

take a look:( the screen looks blue but ignore that, its just my poor photography skills, but you get the idea on the back light leak. too much or normal?

Attachments

• DSC00802.JPG
    DSC00802.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 230
wow, thats a bit much. I wonder if Tosh or Panny has it.

i think i've cured my backlight problem by rubbing the magic cloth that came with the tv. i wiped the cloth gently across the screen from the right hand side over to the left. not the other way. rubbing the cloth other ways made the problem worse. i,ve probaly moved the angle in which the light comes out and now it's all the same across the screen.

see attachment photo and compare with my last photo

i've had too show some graphics on the screen as it's too black to take a decent photo. before there was definate bleeding now its ok.

Attachments

• DSC00816.JPG
    DSC00816.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 212
nice work, I tried to remove bleeding but no luck. I'll give this a go tonight.

Mine isn’t such a problem cos when it warms up, it disappears.

Nielo TM said:
nice work, I tried to remove bleeding but no luck. I'll give this a go tonight.

Mine isn’t such a problem cos when it warms up, it disappears.

Backlight bleeding is a fault! :lesson:

Back to the dealer or send it in for a repair!

lol, its OK. I had it for year and a half and I'm gonna replace it with a HDTV anyway.

Edit: I do hate Mura Effect, you wont believe how annoying that could be, especially when watching a dark scene.

It was the LG 37LZ55's panel which was defective. It could not be fixed so I am getting my money back. :clap:

No more LG LCD's for me! :nono:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom