Samsung LE32R51BD Problem, Am i right to expect a replacement.?

Firefox

Hi I purchased a Samsung 32" LCD TV from currys at the end of August, it has freeview built into it was my intention to ditch Sky and go to Freeview as soon as i had a outside Aerial installed, I finally got round to having a Aerial installed a few days ago only to find that neither the analogue or freeview tuner are working.

I contacted Currys who informed me a mastercare service engineer would have to come out to have a look which he did today, He looked the set over and has come to the conclusion that it has more than one problem, the Aerial socket and the analogue tuner are faulty and need replacing in his opinion, he said he could take the set away which would mean i would be without the set for a while as he would have to order parts and even then he couldn't guarantee this would fix the problem or i could ask Currys for a replacement, I opted for the latter and this is the start of my problems.

I have spoken to the manager at currys and have been told i cannot have a replacement as its over 28 days old, I explained the engineer told me this set has been faulty since day one and he went away then phoned me back 10 minutes later to say he had contacted Samsung and that they would not allow him to issue a replacement set as it was my responsibility to make sure the set was fully working within the 28 day period and that Samsung would send out a engineer of there own. I then phoned Samsung myself and spoke to a nice lady who informed me Currys are talking rubbish, it is not nor has it ever been Samsungs policy not to offer a replacement after 28 days, infact she told me the TV could be 6 months old and they would agree to a refund or replacement as long as the retailer agreed. She adviced me to get back in touch with Currys which i have done and am now waiting for a phone call back.

If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated, This TV was paid for on my barclaycard, would they be able to help.?

Thanks

S

smallmanongn

I can tell you for sure Currys wont refund or replace the TV.
My mates Samsung rear projection went wrong about 5 weeks after he had it and all they would offer was a repair.
Also sorry to say the responsibility to check the TV is okay within the 28 days does fall on you,tough I know with no ariel to do so.

gatty-jr-jr

Hi I purchased a Samsung 32" LCD TV from currys at the end of August, it has freeview built into it was my intention to ditch Sky and go to Freeview as soon as i had a outside Aerial installed, I finally got round to having a Aerial installed a few days ago only to find that neither the analogue or freeview tuner are working.

I contacted Currys who informed me a mastercare service engineer would have to come out to have a look which he did today, He looked the set over and has come to the conclusion that it has more than one problem, the Aerial socket and the analogue tuner are faulty and need replacing in his opinion, he said he could take the set away which would mean i would be without the set for a while as he would have to order parts and even then he couldn't guarantee this would fix the problem or i could ask Currys for a replacement, I opted for the latter and this is the start of my problems.

I have spoken to the manager at currys and have been told i cannot have a replacement as its over 28 days old, I explained the engineer told me this set has been faulty since day one and he went away then phoned me back 10 minutes later to say he had contacted Samsung and that they would not allow him to issue a replacement set as it was my responsibility to make sure the set was fully working within the 28 day period and that Samsung would send out a engineer of there own. I then phoned Samsung myself and spoke to a nice lady who informed me Currys are talking rubbish, it is not nor has it ever been Samsungs policy not to offer a replacement after 28 days, infact she told me the TV could be 6 months old and they would agree to a refund or replacement as long as the retailer agreed. She adviced me to get back in touch with Currys which i have done and am now waiting for a phone call back.

If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated, This TV was paid for on my barclaycard, would they be able to help.?

Thanks
Go visit your local trading standards officer, im sure sales of good act would cover your problem.

Im sure if you hassle DSG enough they will accept responsibilty and give you a exchange. But be prepared for a long haul.

I will never buy electrical products from DSG, they take the warranties away from the manufacturers and thats how they get there prices low, especially laptops.

chriszzzzzz

Hi.
I had a Samsung slim CRT originally from Currys. After about two months I decided the geometry problems were getting to me so I went to Currys and said I could'nt live with it. :mad:
The manager offered replacement instantly. I looked around and chose the Sammy 32R41BD LCD It was in the six day sale so was down anyway but he Discounted it to Staff purchase price because I was not happy with the original purchase.
Excellent customer service. :clap:
By the way i originally had a Masercare/Whatever happens Engineer come out and he could not fix geometry problems. So a Temp manager at curries said he would organise a Samsung engineer. Guess who turned up. The same Engineer.
Anyway the Manager you are talking to is talking out of his ar$e,
Good luck.... :)

astonbilla

I worked for the Dixons stores group for over 3 years.

the 28 days thing is a guideline that they stick to. Rigidly. The law however is on your side. Under the terms of the sales of goods act (1974 as amended i think) your TV is not fit for the purpose it was purchased for, that is, watching TV.

You are within your rights to demand a new TV - do not settle for less. I have refunded PCs that were almost 18 months because they did not provide satisfactory results.

If i were you i would contact citizens advice and get some documentation regarding the sales of goods act and the various related laws.

Just watch the store managers attitude change when he works out you aren't the usual ill informed pleb.

If this fails - ask the Store manager for the head office address, get as many names of staff members involved as possible and let him know you are going to get in touch with the litigation dept at head office (used to be Hemel Hempstead?)

Don't let these guys off - policy can change from store to store and at the end of the day - they can return items fault really quite easily.

Good luck!

busterdan

Yes Aston is right... if it's not fit for purpose... then it's fit for the bin!

Good luck and keep us posted.

sparkymark75

gatty-jr-jr said:
I will never buy electrical products from DSG, they take the warranties away from the manufacturers and thats how they get there prices low, especially laptops.
DSG and low prices, never seen that in the same sentence before :D

thelurch

Im still fighting my case as ive had 2 engineers out and waiting for a 3rd but the part has been out of stock for a week and a half.

I notified samsung within a week and a half of receiving the TV of the fault so well within the 28 days figuire, but I still seem to be getting nowehere!

Am now waiting on a call back from my local trading standards to find out EXACTLY where I stand as samsung stated today that they will not authorise a replacement until you have had 3 failed repairs or it takes more than 28 working days from a requested repair to it being fixed BUT that 28 day period does not run from the date of the 1st repair, it apparently gets reset after every failed repair! so potentially if you could have to wait a total of 4 months on this system.

I have been on to my retailer about this and requested they organise a replacement for me but they are saying they cannot do anything untill samsung authorise a replacement or refund .Thats why im trying to confirm exactly my rights regarding the sales of goods act before I take matters further as I understood that if your product develops a fault within 28 days then you are entitled to request a repair,replacement or refund, which ever you want and can refuse a repair if it is offered.

My next port of call will be my credit card company!!!

Firefox

Thanks for all the advice, Currys have been in touch and are going to replace the TV, they are bringing me a new one Tuesday

astonbilla

good man, rock on.........

sparkymark75

thelurch said:
I have been on to my retailer about this and requested they organise a replacement for me but they are saying they cannot do anything untill samsung authorise a replacement or refund .
Tell them that the issue with Samsung is their problem not yours. Your contract is with the retailer, not Samsung. Contact your local Citizen's Advice ASAP.

Trending threads

Top Bottom