1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung LE32R41xxx + Xbox settings ?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by mjw123, Sep 21, 2005.

1. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I've now had my Samsung LE32R41 for a couple of days and and very pleased in the main with it.

Last night however i hooked up my Xbox and quickly tried PGR2 and Halo2 - I have to say I was a little dissapointed with the results. When playing the games things weren't too bad although i'd say everything seemed darker and softer, where it did struggle was in the game menu where text was often blurred and jagged and colour bleed was evident.

Am I just expecting too much from the LCD ? - admittedly I have moved from a 28" Philips CRT to a 32" LCD so I suppose there is going to be a difference for that size reason alone.

I'm using the microsoft RGB lead - would a component lead improve matters ?...I guess there's not much point with 360 on its way.

What have people done to their settings to get the best from the Xbox ?....I found Dynamic from the picture presets probably the best.....is it possible to improve on this by further customizing the settings ?

Be very interested to hear others finding views on the Xbox and Samsung LCD.

Tia,
    Mike.

2. ThePimpmaster

ThePimpmaster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you using RGB Scart or the lead that comes with the Xbox? Ah, I see you do use scart. Is the cable in the external 1 (the RGB enabled) connector on the back of your TV? Only external 1 is RGB compatible.

On my set (26 inch) everything looks fine (especially menu's and text).

With RGB Scart, things should be fine (especially text!). Component will not improve anything (unless you have a modded Xbox). RGB is the best way of connecting an official Xbox.

My settings:
    *DynamicContrast off (with movies its good, with gaming I turn it off)
    *Contrast: 80
    *Clarity: 60
    *Sharpness: 50 (Turning it up or down doesnt change much)'
    *Colour: 50 (neutral)
    Tint: Sometimes I like using Warm1 instead of normal for gaming.

My conclusion was: softmodding would cost me 100 euro's (I think about 80 pounds, but not sure). The Xbox 360 is coming. Why would I waste monney on softmodding while I have HD resolution using the PC? ;)

3. miketrim

miketrim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Is your xbox modified? If so there is a nice little program that will change the settings to NTSC on your xbox and allow you to use a component lead with a much nicer picture ( depending on the games you are playing)

4. Fe_man2000

Fe_man2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    As mentioned above on UK unmodded xboxs RGB Scart is as good as it gets and thats not that good on an LCD frankly. If you can soft mod your xbox to allow you to change it to use the US settings you can then enable the HI Def modes and use the component Cable and get a much better picture. To be honest anyone who has a LCD with component inputs who is not using there Xbox in HD is robbing themselves of a much better picture. Its the reason I bought a Samsung over some other makes.

5. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
  6. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    To clarify guys it's an unmodded UK xbox using Microsoft RGB scart lead in scart 1 ie RGB enabled port.

It's not dreadfull - just not as good as i'd have hoped

I'd compare it to using a non RGB connection method....text not sharp and blurred in places.