Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Samsung LE32R41BDX connections question

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by macpasser, Oct 28, 2005.

Tags:
  1. macpasser

macpasser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently bought this Tv and am very happy with it, picture quality via Sky and DVD, but at the moment I'm swapping a Scart lead from Sky box to DVD and I am after advice on the best way to connect my equipment up.

According to the Samsung manual I have to connect my TV to the DVD (Hitachi DV-P345) and then DVD to the Sky box (Amstrad DRX400).

My DVD only has the one Scart, s-video and video out. Sky Box has two Scarts (one RGB, other VCR).

After reading through these forums, would I be right in thinking that the best way to do it would be to run the rgb scart from TV to DVD and then connect via s-video to the Sky Box? I've also seen posts mentioning Scart splitters and wondered if anybody had any thoughts on these.

Apologies if this has been covered before, but any help for this AV novice would be appreciated.

2. macpasser

macpasser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll get me coat

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    My most expensive advice is to get rid of the SCART-only DVD player and get one with an HDMI or Component output. That'll free up SCART for Sky.

4. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286

For optimum quality with your current setup, chain the DVD player using SCART through the Sky box to the TV's RGB scart socket, and forget about easily recording to VHS tape. The Sky box should support RGB passthrough.

You could then use the second scart on the TV (the one not supporting RGB) to connect the VHS for playback. You'd be able to record from the Sky box but only if it were playing on the TV. However, that's a bit cumbersome. Still, you don't really want to be recording to VHS any more now that you have a nice HD compatible LCD flatscreen?

(Obviously, make sure that both the Sky box and DVD player are set to output RGB on their SCART socket.)

Longer term, a HDD/DVD recorder in place of the DVD player would let you ditch VHS and get optimum quality for your recordings off of the Sky box.

Gav

5. macpasser

macpasser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies gav/lyris.

...now to convince the mrs.