Samsung LE32R41BD is useless

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by julesnash, Mar 13, 2006.

1. julesnash

julesnash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my new Samsung LE32R41BD a few days ago.

Extremely disappointed with the picture quality on most channels. On some high quality broadcasts such as "Planet Earth" the picture is quite good, however on 95% of broadcasts the picture is "blocky" and "pixelated" (similar to low resolution video on a computer when it is zoomed in).

My PS2 looks dreadful when playing Gran Turismo 4 - the staight lines appear as jagged lines and are very distracting. I have ordered a SCART cable that will hopefully improve the picture but not holding out muxch hope.

I have a 15 year old 20" Decca Colour TV which easily beats the £1000 Samsung for picture quality. I have played around with all the picture setting, to no avail.

All in all, very disappointed.

2. dllord

dllord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Most HD LCD TV's look crap on standard broadcasts! its a fact that you'll have to come to terms with if you keep the TV.

3. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Jules

I have the same set & it can be quite unforgiving with poor interlaced signals/standard cables.

I now have it cracked though! I feed mine with a US Gamecube via Component, a chipped X-Box via Component, a HTPC via VGA, & DVD via a progressive scan DVD Player. The picture quality from all these is amazing.

I then get a pretty good quality picture from my Sky+ box via S-Video & a gold plated Ixos Lead. My freeview picture is pretty good too, however I do sit about 12 feet from the screen - Are you closer than this?

My worst quality picture is from my USA PS2, this is chipped & has had its component output turned off - From an RGB Scart Lead & at 12 feet the picture is poor. Why not try a PS2 Component Lead?

Good Luck :smashin:

PS - The DVD Player is only a Phillips 3005 - about £40 in Dixons / Argos - I recommend it for this set!

4. julesnash

julesnash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm thanks for the advice. I have come to the conclusion that the Samsung is a very "fussy" tv - and must only be fed its' favourite signals.

My main use of the tv is for watching freeview. The terrestrial channels are OK quality, but channels such as E4 are almost unwatchable due to distortion/pixellation etc.

I watch from about 10 feet away, and still the unpleasant characteristics are noticeable.

Bring on HDTV broadcasts, maybe the samsung has yet to realise its' true potential. I've by no means written-off the samsung, but it's hard not to feel let down when a 15 year old dinosaur tv looks better.

5. Tokyo_Postcode

Tokyo_Postcode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm guessing that's more to do with the quality of your digital signal than the tv. E4 looks fine on my LE26R51BD - by no means stunning but perfectly acceptable. Might be worth upgrading your tv aerial ???

DVD via component is also good, whereas PC via VGA is stunning. HD clips look incredible and give a good indication of how this set will cope with up and coming HD formats.

Don't be too disappointed with your results so far. You've bought a great set IMHO.

6. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Jules

I watch Sky with these settings, give them a try & see what you think ?

Mode - Custom

Digital NR - Off
    Dynamic Contrast - Off
    Brightness Sensor - On

Reduce Pink down to about 18 in Color Control

Contrast - 80
    Brightness - 45
    Sharpness - 18
    Colour - 50

Tone Normal

:thumbsup:

7. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Almost deffinately down to the quality of cables and the actual received signal.

We upgraded our aerial to a full Digi CAI approved High Gain version and the image is awesome on exactly the same screen.

Spend some money and upgrade your interconnects and you should see a marked improvement.

8. julesnash

julesnash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok i have just received the new gold-plated scart for the PS2 - made little difference. Not sure what the technical term is, but diagonal straight lines appear as lots of horizontal or vertical lines forming steps. As the picture moves across the pixels, this gives a flickering effect. Very very annoying. I am pretty sure this is due to the TV and not the connector.

I have to admit that my digital tv aerial is pretty weak. I assumed that digital TV is either working or not, and there is no middle ground. Am i wrong?

9. Magslad

Magslad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I have to admit that my digital tv aerial is pretty weak. I assumed that digital TV is either working or not, and there is no middle ground. Am i wrong?

--------------------------------

Afraid so - the quality of the signal coming in can make a massive difference. Until a few months ago I had Freeview running off the standard aerial that had been on the house when I bought it, and suffered from pixellation, freezing etc. I upgraded to a decent digital high-gain aerial and the difference has been incredible. It cost a fair bit (but I did also have a distributor put in the loft and run to 5 different rooms), but well worth doing and worth going for the best quality aerial you can afford.

10. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    It's likely because no anti-aliasing is being applied to the graphics by the console. You can get away with this on CRT TV because the picture isn't as sharp, but LCD's will show this up.

You get the same thing on PC's too. Try running a FPS at 640x480 and turn off anti-aliasing and you'll see the same thing

11. Acecross

Acecross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    I have the same set and I have found the PS2 Component cable offers a significantly better picture than RGB scart.

You can get the cables for around £15 so pretty cheap upgrade and well worth it.

12. TrigUK

TrigUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have this set and I just got this Component lead this morning. But it doesnt work. Its possible its faulty..but I got a feeling the pins that go into the tv are just not making a connection. There seems to be little room to push the lead into it. The 360 one works fine, as its a different type of connector, and your able to push it all the way in..I hope i make some sense.

I guess it works fine for you?

13. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Have you set the component mode in the PS2s dashboard? I am pretty sure it defaults to RGB, yet you probably want it set to YUV.

14. TrigUK

TrigUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    woah i didnt even think of that..works like a charm! thank you so much!:thumbsup:

15. Acecross

Acecross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    lol, I must admit I did exactly the same with mine!

Its funny when your brother steals your PS2 thats set up for Component only to compalin that the image is a lovely shade of green...:D