1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung LE32R41BD DVI to HDMI help please!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by BaNdito, Oct 20, 2005.

1. BaNdito

BaNdito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi;

Recently got the above screen, and thought i would make use of the dvi to hdmi connectivity from my pc.

has anyone else tried this? please reply, I am currently using the standard VGA cable (which works fine no problem with quality at all)
    I would just like to know that i dont have a fault with the HDMI input due to the fact I couldnt get it to work correctly.
    First issue was the resolution seemed to default to 1280 x 720; which is not the screens native resolution of 1360 x760.
    When I changed the resolution the text was immediatly corrupted and completly un usable, I know the cables are fine having tested 3 different ones, the graphics card is an asus x800xtpe also checks out fine.

Anyone had similar woes?

Thanks

2. peasoup

peasoup
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey Bandito, just recieved a DVI to HDMI cable this evening and i'm having the same problems as you. I've got a Geforce 6600GT the driver software for this card gives you the option to set up the output resolution as 720p,1080i etc.
    at 720p it sets the resolution to 1289x720 which looks ok but the text still isn't perfect when you set it to 1080i (1768x992?) though it all goes a bit wrong the text is almost unreadable and theres a noticable lag in the response time.
    im sure i read somewhere in the forum that someone had set the rez to near 1360 x760 not sure how though. Hopefully someone can help.

Banditio try powerstrip from http://www.entechtaiwan.net/ you can set custom resoutions. I'm not having much joy though maybe you will have more luck.

3. peasoup

peasoup
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. televisionuser

televisionuser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    This TV doesn't support 1:1 mapping through hdmi unfortunately. Just use the VGA mode, plug and play, no hassles.

5. jeromeof

jeromeof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am having a similar problem and I am wondering if anyone tried using a DVI to VGA adapter to get better results.

I can't use straight VGA (as I have a normal monitor connected to my computer, where I sometimes browse the net while the wife is watching TV). But the adapter in the computer also as a DVI output, so I was going to connect the DVI the Samsung HDMI connection, but from you guys are saying it would be better to connect it to the VGA on the Samsung.

So the question is can I use a DVI to VGA adapter to get 1:1 pixel mapping from my PC to the Samsung. If no one has tried this I will buy one on EBay and give it a go.

Thanks

Jerome

6. BaNdito

BaNdito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replies guyz, i have been offline for some time. sorry for slow reply!

Yes I went and got a belkin VGA cable in the end, which i am happy with anyway, it does actualy state in the samsung manual that pc should only be connected via VGA.

seems the previous post is correct, not really and issue for me, VGA as i said is fine for me, and xbox 360 will go via composites as I understand.
    I think its great.

7. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,401
    I think you mean component.

8. vgpalmieri

vgpalmieri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem on my LE32M51B with an ATI9600SE. I get very good resolution on VGA input but overscan if I use HDMI (via DVI to HDMI cable) Moreover HDMI does not accept resulutions higher than 1280x720. The problem with using the VGA input (the otherwise works just perfect) is that unfortunately DNIe and dynamic light control do not work in PC mode. This kind of extra features were the reason why I choose Samsung... Anyone knows how to correct the overscan problem? I tried PowerStrip but did not do much good.

9. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    I'm pretty sure that this was a known issue from day one. A lot of these LCD tellies treat the DVI input as a video stream rather than a computer input and thus process it in the way that they'd handle a normal video source. ie. Crop it for overscan and/or zoom it to 1366x768.

A bit stupid but nothing you can do about it ... your best bet is to use VGA at 1360x768 with Powerstrip.

Gav

10. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    You can force HDTV resolutions 720p and 1080i, then you can underscan to avoid overscan with ati drivers (these are options in ccc - turn on advanced menu options). It works on catalyst control centre 5.08 and possibly later versions ".....you never know with driver updates" (the latest version is 5.11 I have downloaded it but not yet installed).

I have run in 720p and 1080i (bit flickery and whats the point with a 768 screen, but had to try it :) ) modes with my TV set at "DVI-Video" mode, (this is similar to HDMI, it only allows video resolutions, and has overscan). When using 720p I needed to change the resolution to 700x1248 to get the full screen un-cropped. THIS IS NOT 1:1 pixel mapping, my screen has 768 lines , so the internal scaler is stretching 700 lines across 768.

I only played with it to prove it would work. On my screen I have 2 PC connected I use "DVI-PC" (DVI-D) mode at 1366x768 on one PC and "DVI-Analogue" (VGA) 1366x768 on the other, neither of these inputs have overscan.

By all accounts the Samsung is fantastic over VGA, so use a DVI-I to DVI-D and VGA splitter on the back of your 9600se. This will give you 1 digitial DVI-D and a VGA output. Look for "DVI Splitter" on ebay, only a few pounds.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DVI-to-VGA-Co...ryZ41999QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem