1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung LE32R41B - Problems connecting to PC

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by shandar, Aug 11, 2005.

1. shandar

shandar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello everyone!

A couple of days ago I finally received a shiny new Samsung LE23R41B that I quickly unpacked and installed, it worked like a charm. Then yesterday I bought a VGA-cable to connect my laptop to the TV but for some reason I can't select the PC source. All options related to PC, and some functions like the Picture in Picture are disabled. Scanning through the manual I figured out that the PC mode will only activate if the TV notices that it is connected to a PC, so I thought there might be something wrong with the videocard in the laptop. To test it I hooked it up to an ordinary CRT monitor and voila, it worked. There is a VEGA signal from the videocard, but the tv wont detect it. Anyone who's got even the slightest idea how to fix this? Is there some option that I have forgotten to turn on? Or is there some way to get some kind of debug-menu on the tv to see the actual status of the VEGA port? I really don't like the idea of sending the TV away to service just three days after I finally got it :-(

2. c.jelly

c.jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have you set the external monitor port to 60Hz?

3. shandar

shandar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yup, It's set to 800x600 @ 60 Hz. The tv won't even detect the VGA signal...

4. stu.artd

stu.artd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +328
    Try pressing the Fn key along with F4 or F5 (depending on the laptop, but it has either a small square or says LCD/CRT) to switch display from the laptop display to the external one. One press should switch it, and 2 should share it between both displays, with a third press returning to normal laptop screen only.

5. DU02

DU02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have the same problem with my Samsung LE32R41BDX. I've tried connecting a PC and a laptop all at resolutions and refresh rates that are quoted in the manual as supported and the PC option in the menu is always greyed out.
    I've tried just about every combination of resolutions and refresh rates possible and nothing, I'm just about ready to throw the bloody thing out the window!
    I had the same laptop hooked up to my mates Acer 32" LCD just the other day and it looked great, so I know its not a problem with the laptop.
    S-video from the same graphics card works fine (Although it looks absolutely dreadful)

6. DU02

DU02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Has anyone actually successfully connect this set to a PC?

7. busterdan

busterdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Most definately... mine is a BDX too...as is my father in laws... both fine....

Although you have connected another LCD to your laptop before I do feel this is most likely going to be the cause....double check the display settings and swith OFF "extend my desktop" - your laptop should be able to toggle between LCD screen and the Samsung....

Also double check the refresh rates.... maybe your secondary display....the samsung.... is using a refresh rate that is out of range.

Also try switching displays... FN and F7 on my IBM laptop as the laptop is booting up....

One last thing.... you have definately selected PC mode on the Samsung haven't you?????... the display will not auto switch like a scart input would.

8. DU02

DU02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for that at least I know someone can get it to work!

Thats the problem, I can't select PC mode cos its always greyed out.

PC settings are definately right.

9. busterdan

busterdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    ??You are pressing the source button on the remote, or side of TV?

10. DU02

DU02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I can't select the PC input with either, they just go through the 'available' inputs.
    If I go to menu and look at the sources list, PC and HDMI are always greyed out.

Phoned Samsung support today. They were extremely quick to declare it a faulty set. They went through a few cursory checks about the type of input from the PC and straight away said its probably faulty. Maybe this is a common problem?

11. maxlifo

maxlifo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Maybe this is a common problem?

Mines fine. Connected up to my work PC when it was delivered without any fiddling, though my home PC can't do the res it wants so I can't test that :-(

Good luck to ya. Hoping we aren't witnessing another (new) widespread fault on this panel, specifically in the VGA port - the only HD source we thought was working flawlessly...

12. bobbyfman

bobbyfman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've benn having the same problem, had this set about 2 weeks and have tried everything under the sun including updating laptop video drivers (ATiI) etc. (I have a fujitsu-siemens Amilio D 7820 with a mobility radeon 9000)
    I have used this pc with various other lcd screens/projectors etc. and have had no problems.. i'm gonna recheck all the suggestions above ...

13. DU02

DU02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Starting to look that way :(

Mines not working at all, tried 2 different laptops, 2 different PCs, all work fine on other TFT monitors/TVs.
    Seems like there are at least 3 of us who have the same problem now. Samsung were so quick to declare it faulty on the phone I am suspicious they knew about it already.

14. jshaw_82

jshaw_82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I to noticed that the PC input was greyed out, however when i did PIP i noticed the other side was HDMI and could not figure out how to swap between VGA and HDMI.

15. busterdan

busterdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Bizarre...

Thats the first I've heard of it and I have been watching this thread for about 2 months now.... a pain in the neck but at least Samsung seem to be aware or will do something...

I have tried my Samsung with three pc's and one laptop.... all fine - I guess most of us here have been lucky.

16. Qubit

Qubit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having problems with my 32R41BX too!

It works perfectly with my single output desktop Shuttle PC (resolution set to 1366*768, 60 HZ) but I cannot get it to work with my Dell D800 laptop.

The laptop detects the secondary screen as a Samsung TV but I've tried every type of resolution and output (clone, extended desktop etc) through the NVidia desktop but the screen stays black. Though after unplugging the VGA cable the TV shows 'PC source disconnected' so it's definately detecting something.

Anyone else seen anything similar or have any ideas of a fix?

Cheers,
    Q

17. DU02

DU02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    No idea but sounds like a different problem to the one some of us are having. We can't even select the PC input, at least you've got that far!
    Sounds to me like the laptop isn't outputting a proper 60Hz signal.

18. Qubit

Qubit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's what I thought, but the display properties for the external (Samsung) screen has the 'Hide modes that this monitor cannot display' option checked, and it won't allow any other option then 60Hz.

This is how I setup the Shuttle PC:

i) Hooked up to a normal monitor, set the resolution to 1366 * 768 and 60Hz.
    ii) Using a cheap VGA cable (male to male) from PCWorld hooked the PC up the VGA input on the TV.
    iii) Using the source button, select the PC source.

This worked first time for me, so I suspect if you're trying the above and it isn't working then there seems a definate fault.

Cheers,
    Q

19. DU02

DU02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well, my TV was picked up on Friday by the repair company. Not bad since I reported the fault on Monday afternoon.
    They said they will need it for a week. We'll see if they can fix it!

20. Croker

Croker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I've ordered a decent VGA cable from eBay to connect my PC to my Samsung LE32R51BD. At the minute I've been using S-Video, which works fine but doesn't look very good.

I'm wondering, though...when you connect the VGA ports, can the Samsung only display at 1366 * 768? Only my usual monitor (a 15" LCD) isn't capable of that...and I'm fairly sure that my graphics card will struggle, too, as it's only a 128MB GeForce 4 Ti.

Any suggestions?

21. c.jelly

c.jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The GeForce 4 will do 1360x768 no problems.

22. bigbfan

bigbfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    ive connected my samsung to about 3 pcs and had no problems with it.. im actually posting this via my samsung at the moment using a bog standard VGA cable!!

23. Croker

Croker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Will it? The reason I ask is that I've never been able to output at that resolution, as the maximum my current monitor can handle is 1024x768...probably because it's a 15" LCD that came bundled with the PC.

Is it possible to have 2 different resolutions on the 2 different desktops, i.e. Samsung panel and my PC's monitor? And I only have one VGA out port and one S-Video out port on the graphics card, so is it best just to run the PC through the Samsung all the time, or get some kind of amazing switching device which I can plug both the cables for the monitor and the Samsung into at the same time?

And even if they exist and aren't a product of my fevered imagination :) ...where would I get one, and for how much?

I appreciate all the advice, by the way. Thanks!

24. DU02

DU02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You can have 2 different resolutions on each monitor but I'm not sure you can do that through s-video. And S-video will always looks rubbish carrying a PC input.
    A reasonable gfx card with 2 vga outputs (or 1xDVI and 1xVGA) would do you a much better job and can be had for not much at all, £30-£40 maybe

I'd go for an Nvidia based card, my el-cheapo ATI Radeon 7000 won't support 1360x768 but I think all the Nvidia cards do.

25. bobbyfman

bobbyfman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorted my earlier problem re connection via VGA port , seems the monitor port on my Fujistu-siemens amilo D is dead!

26. c.jelly

c.jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Oh, man, the picture on this TV via VGA is simply stunning.

:eek:

27. DU02

DU02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well, finally got TV back from repair company (over 2 weeks later) and the PC input works perfectly. No report as to exactly what they did/repaired but definately proves there was a fault with the set and not just me doing something wrong!!

28. DU02

DU02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Interesting update, the 'repaired' VGA input has now decided it doesn't want to be selectable again. It had been working fine for a few months after it was repaired the first time.
    One day I went to select it as normal and it was greyed out again. Wierd.
    PC input works fine over HDMI so I'm using that for now, guess I'll have to call Samsung again...................

29. andygjones

andygjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hiya

Just thought id add my experience as it may not be the TV thats at fault. I recently received my LE32R41BDX and after connecting my Sony Vaio laptop to it through the VGA port I couldnt select the PC input. Assuming it was a fault with the TV i logged a call with samsung. An engineer came to look at the TV (didnt seem to know much) and assumed it must be a faulty circuit board which he needed to order.

While I waited for the replacement part I decided to double check by connected my desktop PC to it. It worked fine. In fact if I connect my desktop PC to it so the PC input is selectable, selected it and then connected my Vaio it works fine!

It seems like the samsung is looking for some sort of signal to recognise that something is connected via VGA before allowing it to be selected. I assume my sony's VGA output isnt sending whatever the samsung is expecting. I know my Sony's VGA port works fine as it outputs to other external monitors just fine and works with the samsung (at all resolutions) once PC is selected.

Anyone have any ideas on how the samsung is detecting VGA input, or how it could be fooled without first connecting my desktop PC?

Andy

30. mattg

mattg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    I had to use powerstrip to get my samsung working over vga, but now it works fine. Here is a photo of an HD clip via vga :D

[​IMG]

I can use it as an extended monitor and as the primary monitor with out any problems.

before Hand I kept getting a blue screen with "mode not supported"

this using an m10 ati radeon 9600 with cat 5.8 drivers.