1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung LE32R41B or Philips 32PF5320?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by The Belgain, Aug 28, 2005.

1. The Belgain

The Belgain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there. I'm currently helping my Dad choose an LCD TV for himself. I want something that's going to work with HDTV when that eventually comes to us (both broadcast and HD-DVD / Bluray).

I'm looking at the two TVs in the title, mostly because they're the ones the local shop sells. This in in Belgium by the way; I don't know if the models are any different to the UK. The Samsung's obviously had a lot of press around here, and like any such item there plenty of good, plenty of bad, and too much to trawl through.

My main question is about the HD-readyness of these two. Both claim to be HD ready, but the Philips doesn't have an HDMI connection. It only has a DVI connection with HDCP; will this be enough to work with HD equipment when it comes out? It also doesn't have a component input; is this going to be a problem?

And about the Samsung; what's the difference, if any, between the LE32R41B and the LE32R51B? The front bezels seem a little different, but the specs seem identical. And what's the overall consensus on these?

Help would be much appreciated on this, as he'll be buying it pretty soon... cheers guys!

2. ThePimpmaster

ThePimpmaster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Samsung has better conections, (more of them) and better specifications. The TV has a quiker responstime. Both Samsung sets are the same panel with a different desiggn. The Philips has Pal Plus, wich makes it better with normal "dad' sources like cable TV. Samsungs DNIe is nice, but palplus is better for Pal sources (makes the resolution better).

Samsung:
    -Faster response time/higher contrast values (Not the dynamic but actual contrast).
    -More connections

Philips
    -Pal Plus Rescaling
    -Better costumer service

I deciced on the Samsung TV because I thought it looked better with an upscaling DVD players and a PC connected to it. As a HTPC user it seemed like the best choice. I don't like the Pihlips design either, but thats a matter of taste. The samsung response times are better and make it more of a gamers and soccer TV.

3. The Belgain

The Belgain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK, thanks for that. Looks like I'm probably veering towards the Samsung now. I'm still a little concerned about the "720p tearing" issue... is that on all sources, or only from composite?

And regarding the Philips's DVI connection; will this be enough to make it compatible with future HD equipment?

4. Jagzfan

Jagzfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got the 32PF5520D (yesterday!)

Lovely TV. Built-in Digital (Freeview) is good, as is SKY through the Scart (RGB). I've hooked up my prog scan DVD player via the included DVI -> VGA -> component input, and the quality is excellent. Not sure whether buying a better quality VGA-component adapter will improve picture (anyone ideas on this?).

As far as I know, the DVI will be able to handle the forthcoming SKY HDTV standard, and the set is marked as "HD Ready"