Samsung LE32R41B - Motion Blur?

J

Jonti

Hello,

I've just bought a Samsung LE32R41B and am very impressed with the picture quality in general. However when I watch fast-moving sports (football, etc), the motion blur is very noticeable and gives very disappointing results. The England game the other day was difficult to watch because of it. It's also noticeable on other channels but obviously it's bearable on programmes that don't have much motion in them.

Has anyone else noticed this? Do all LCDs have this problem? Or just cheaper makes like this Sammy?

If it's just cheap makes that has problems, I may trade it back in for a Panny TX32LXD500. it will be worth the extra for the picture quality on sports alone.

I'm using RGB Scart at the moment (I know, I know). I've got an S-Video cable on order to hook the Sky+ box to the Sammy directly - would this make much of a difference?

TIA,

Jon

RGB Scart is supposed to be slightly better than S-Video, so I doubt it will improve just be changing the connection.

Motion Blurr............were we watching the same match :D !

RockySpieler said:
Motion Blurr............were we watching the same match :D !

Yes, it was particularly noticeable from the speed at which Ibertsberger dived to get Beckham sent off!

I'm using RGB Scart at the moment (I know, I know). I've got an S-Video cable on order to hook the Sky+ box to the Sammy directly - would this make much of a difference?
No, not to motion blur. Blurring is either caused by the LCD panel itself (meaning everything will be affected) or as a side-effect of deinterlacing (meaning everything but progressive scan pictures will be affected).

Lyris said:
No, not to motion blur. Blurring is either caused by the LCD panel itself (meaning everything will be affected) or as a side-effect of deinterlacing (meaning everything but progressive scan pictures will be affected).

So does that mean I need to enable progressive scan on my system, for optimum use? Any ideas how I can do it? I'm new to all this!

I've got a Sky+ box that outputs PAL Scart, RGB Scart and S-Video, and a Panny ES10 DVD Recorder that does the same + component.

TIA.

I watched the England game on mine with no difficulty and no blurring. :thumbsup:

I watched it on a 32" Acer LCD through sky+ and it was fine on my mates LCD. Haven't got a LCD but was hoping to get t Samsung 32" soon

So does that mean I need to enable progressive scan on my system, for optimum use? Any ideas how I can do it? I'm new to all this!
I'm afraid with today's Digital TV decoders, you can't. Most of the programmes are still filmed/recorded, and broadcast Interlaced, it's just the way they are.

They COULD make a digital TV decoder that had its own really high quality deinterlacer in it, which would then send a Progressive picture to the TV, like when you watch a TV show on DVD on a Progressive scan player. But so far, nobody has.

I've watched loads of sport on my Samsung TV too and I've never noticed any annoying blurring and, believe me, it would irritate the hell out of me if it did. I have a 28" Panasonic 100Hz widescreen TV in the living room and that used to be awful for watching football on because the colour in the player's shirts used to bleed into the grass as they ran badly. It was horrible to watch. In comparison the LE-26R41BD is just about perfect to my eyes anyway. :smashin:

Thanks for all your replies, guys. I've managed to get a much better picture from using different cables/set-ups with my AV kit. I can still see a bit of motion blur on anything moving faster than a slow speed and now I've noticed it its annoying the hell out of me! I can't work out if I'm being too over-critical or whether it's actually a problem with the model I've got.

I'm going to give it one last chance on the England game tonight, and if its unwatchable I'll send it back and go for the Panasonic, which I saw in action last night and didn't have any detectable motion blur.

Does screen size affect how much blur you get?

For example I'm using the 26" TV so do people with 32" and 40" versions get more noticeable blur on the same models because it takes slightly longer to refresh a larger screen?

If so then it might explain why I don't see any blur at all but Jonti does...

Yeah it has to be more of factor the higher up you go.

I don't get motion blur as such but some breakup around the players (pixelation,artifacts or whatever its called !)

Doctor Hades said:

For example I'm using the 26" TV so do people with 32" and 40" versions get more noticeable bur on the same models because it takes slightly longer to refresh a larger screen?

Could be a factor because the JVC LT-26DS6 and LT-32DS6 have a responce time of 7ms, where as the LT-37DS6 has a respone time of 12ms.
All of the Sammy 23,26,32,40 R series are suppost to be 12ms tho!!!! :confused:

Doctor Hades said:

For example I'm using the 26" TV so do people with 32" and 40" versions get more noticeable bur on the same models because it takes slightly longer to refresh a larger screen?

There is NO motion blur on My 32" so the answer is NO

no motion blur on my 32p50e when watching the england game 2nite, superb picture Quality

I think I got the picture to as good as it will go, which is fine for normal viewing but not good enough for sports. After seeing the Panny 500 in action in John Lewis yesterday, I've decided to go for that instead.

It may be £600 more, but if it means I can watch sports, it'll be worth it!! ;)

I watched the football last night on my LE-26R41BD on Freeview and set up my 21" Sony CRT alongside it using Sky Digital and the picture on the LCD looked far better to me (it didn't flicker horribly for starters!!!) and neither suffered from any noticeable blurring at all.

Jonti said:
I think I got the picture to as good as it will go, which is fine for normal viewing but not good enough for sports. After seeing the Panny 500 in action in John Lewis yesterday, I've decided to go for that instead.

It may be £600 more, but if it means I can watch sports, it'll be worth it!! ;)

Lets hope the fault isnt with your AV equipment instead! that would be a shame - and a further 600 quid lighter!!

bonc said:
Lets hope the fault isnt with your AV equipment instead! that would be a shame - and a further 600 quid lighter!!

I tried it on Freeview, Sky+ and DVD and with different cabling and picture settings. I minimised the motion blur so that it wasn't a problem on normal viewing, but for sports the Sammy just wasn't good enough to keep up with any mid-to-fast movement. I double-checked by comparing the Panny and Samsung models in John Lewis, which were showing the same feed, and motion blur was noticeable on the LE26R41 they had there too.

Maybe it was just a fault with my particular TV, although I wouldn't have thought motion blur could be caused by a one-off fault?

Jonti said:
I tried it on Freeview, Sky+ and DVD and with different cabling and picture settings. I minimised the motion blur so that it wasn't a problem on normal viewing, but for sports the Sammy just wasn't good enough to keep up with any mid-to-fast movement. I double-checked by comparing the Panny and Samsung models in John Lewis, which were showing the same feed, and motion blur was noticeable on the LE26R41 they had there too.

Maybe it was just a fault with my particular TV, although I wouldn't have thought motion blur could be caused by a one-off fault?

Ah, but did you try your set up with another LCD other than the Sammy make!!!?

but I suppose your going to pay 600 quid more for that privelage!

besides if you saw it in John lewis too, u must be onto something!

although I will say its not evident on mine (and believe me I would admit it if it was, especially as theyve now gone and aligned themselves to the Chelsea manager - jeez)!!

I don't know if there is some sort of production problems or variation between different LE32R41BD. I looked at one with freewiew showing an England match a few days ago and it was terrible. Freeview bit rate error was zero but terrible pixilation, red shadow to the right of players, smeary etc, I found it unwatchable. It seems many people thing this TV gives a bad picture while many more think its as good or better than a CRT.

davidac said:
I don't know if there is some sort of production problems or variation between different LE32R41BD. I looked at one with freewiew showing an England match a few days ago and it was terrible. Freeview bit rate error was zero but terrible pixilation, red shadow to the right of players, smeary etc, I found it unwatchable. It seems many people thing this TV gives a bad picture while many more think its as good or better than a CRT.

check out my original review for an unbiased (sort of) review on this screens picture quality!!!

thread - samsung LE32r41BDX

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom