1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung LE32R41B - Motion Blur?

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by Jonti, Oct 11, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Jonti

Jonti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I've just bought a Samsung LE32R41B and am very impressed with the picture quality in general. However when I watch fast-moving sports (football, etc), the motion blur is very noticeable and gives very disappointing results. The England game the other day was difficult to watch because of it. It's also noticeable on other channels but obviously it's bearable on programmes that don't have much motion in them.

Has anyone else noticed this? Do all LCDs have this problem? Or just cheaper makes like this Sammy?

If it's just cheap makes that has problems, I may trade it back in for a Panny TX32LXD500. it will be worth the extra for the picture quality on sports alone.

I'm using RGB Scart at the moment (I know, I know). I've got an S-Video cable on order to hook the Sky+ box to the Sammy directly - would this make much of a difference?

TIA,

Jon

2. pingu

pingu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    RGB Scart is supposed to be slightly better than S-Video, so I doubt it will improve just be changing the connection.

3. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Motion Blurr............were we watching the same match :D !

4. Jonti

Jonti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it was particularly noticeable from the speed at which Ibertsberger dived to get Beckham sent off!

5. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    No, not to motion blur. Blurring is either caused by the LCD panel itself (meaning everything will be affected) or as a side-effect of deinterlacing (meaning everything but progressive scan pictures will be affected).

6. Jonti

Jonti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So does that mean I need to enable progressive scan on my system, for optimum use? Any ideas how I can do it? I'm new to all this!

I've got a Sky+ box that outputs PAL Scart, RGB Scart and S-Video, and a Panny ES10 DVD Recorder that does the same + component.

TIA.

7. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I watched the England game on mine with no difficulty and no blurring. :thumbsup:

8. shrek101

shrek101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I watched it on a 32" Acer LCD through sky+ and it was fine on my mates LCD. Haven't got a LCD but was hoping to get t Samsung 32" soon

9. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    I'm afraid with today's Digital TV decoders, you can't. Most of the programmes are still filmed/recorded, and broadcast Interlaced, it's just the way they are.

They COULD make a digital TV decoder that had its own really high quality deinterlacer in it, which would then send a Progressive picture to the TV, like when you watch a TV show on DVD on a Progressive scan player. But so far, nobody has.

10. miketrim

miketrim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yeah mines fine too. :thumbsup:

11. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    I've watched loads of sport on my Samsung TV too and I've never noticed any annoying blurring and, believe me, it would irritate the hell out of me if it did. I have a 28" Panasonic 100Hz widescreen TV in the living room and that used to be awful for watching football on because the colour in the player's shirts used to bleed into the grass as they ran badly. It was horrible to watch. In comparison the LE-26R41BD is just about perfect to my eyes anyway. :smashin:

12. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Maybe it is a question of slow LCD panel, with high response times... :confused:

13. Jonti

Jonti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your replies, guys. I've managed to get a much better picture from using different cables/set-ups with my AV kit. I can still see a bit of motion blur on anything moving faster than a slow speed and now I've noticed it its annoying the hell out of me! I can't work out if I'm being too over-critical or whether it's actually a problem with the model I've got.

I'm going to give it one last chance on the England game tonight, and if its unwatchable I'll send it back and go for the Panasonic, which I saw in action last night and didn't have any detectable motion blur.

14. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    Does screen size affect how much blur you get?

For example I'm using the 26" TV so do people with 32" and 40" versions get more noticeable blur on the same models because it takes slightly longer to refresh a larger screen?

If so then it might explain why I don't see any blur at all but Jonti does...

15. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Yeah it has to be more of factor the higher up you go.

I don't get motion blur as such but some breakup around the players (pixelation,artifacts or whatever its called !)

16. dllord

dllord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Could be a factor because the JVC LT-26DS6 and LT-32DS6 have a responce time of 7ms, where as the LT-37DS6 has a respone time of 12ms.
    All of the Sammy 23,26,32,40 R series are suppost to be 12ms tho!!!! :confused:

17. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    There is NO motion blur on My 32" so the answer is NO

18. Borgy

Borgy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no motion blur on my 32p50e when watching the england game 2nite, superb picture Quality

19. Jonti

Jonti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I got the picture to as good as it will go, which is fine for normal viewing but not good enough for sports. After seeing the Panny 500 in action in John Lewis yesterday, I've decided to go for that instead.

It may be £600 more, but if it means I can watch sports, it'll be worth it!! ;)

20. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    I watched the football last night on my LE-26R41BD on Freeview and set up my 21" Sony CRT alongside it using Sky Digital and the picture on the LCD looked far better to me (it didn't flicker horribly for starters!!!) and neither suffered from any noticeable blurring at all.

21. bonc

bonc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lets hope the fault isnt with your AV equipment instead! that would be a shame - and a further 600 quid lighter!!

22. Jonti

Jonti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried it on Freeview, Sky+ and DVD and with different cabling and picture settings. I minimised the motion blur so that it wasn't a problem on normal viewing, but for sports the Sammy just wasn't good enough to keep up with any mid-to-fast movement. I double-checked by comparing the Panny and Samsung models in John Lewis, which were showing the same feed, and motion blur was noticeable on the LE26R41 they had there too.

Maybe it was just a fault with my particular TV, although I wouldn't have thought motion blur could be caused by a one-off fault?

23. bonc

bonc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, but did you try your set up with another LCD other than the Sammy make!!!?

but I suppose your going to pay 600 quid more for that privelage!

besides if you saw it in John lewis too, u must be onto something!

although I will say its not evident on mine (and believe me I would admit it if it was, especially as theyve now gone and aligned themselves to the Chelsea manager - jeez)!!

24. davidac

davidac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I don't know if there is some sort of production problems or variation between different LE32R41BD. I looked at one with freewiew showing an England match a few days ago and it was terrible. Freeview bit rate error was zero but terrible pixilation, red shadow to the right of players, smeary etc, I found it unwatchable. It seems many people thing this TV gives a bad picture while many more think its as good or better than a CRT.

25. bonc

bonc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    check out my original review for an unbiased (sort of) review on this screens picture quality!!!

thread - samsung LE32r41BDX

26. miketrim

miketrim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Watched the england game on this set using freeview last night. No problem at all :clap:

27. Jonti

Jonti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, a cock-up by the retailer that I bought the Samsung LE32R41BDX and Panasonic TX32LXD500 from meant that I've had the chance to run both side-by-side tonight, using various sources and cable setups. I have to say that the picture quality of the Panny 500 is absolutely OUTSTANDING. The contrast ratio and colour performance blow you away. It's a true gem of an LCD screen. You definitely can't buy better for £1400.

Running them side-by-side meant I could play with the setup of the Samsung to try and get it to match the PQ of the Panasonic. It took a while (a good few hours!), and I managed to get fairly close. I compared the quality of Sky Sports (footie and cricket) between the two, and got the Samsung to perform a lot better than before. Not sure why that is cos I spent ages trying to improve the picture before but it was good having a reference point next to it.

The Samsung will never have the quality of the Panasonic, which is hardly surprising given it's £600 cheaper, but there is a very noticeable difference. The contrast on the Panny is unbeatable - true blacks next to vibrant colours. But is it so different that it's worth £600 more? In the end, I decided not. The Panny is so good it's mental, but its hard to justify the extra dosh. So the Sammy it is. All I have to do now is work out what to spend the £600 on now!

(PS. One thing that is noticeable between the two - there's a lag between the two sets, with the Samsung taking something like 0.1 - 0.2 seconds longer to display a scene/menu)

28. dllord

dllord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Nice post!!!!!!!

29. igauk

igauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    So Jonti, could you share your settings for the Samsung that get it close enough to the Panasonic?

30. Jonti

Jonti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's difficult because it depends on whether you want to use the Sammy's Dynamic Contrast feature or not.

With DC off, the blacks are more of a dark charcoal grey and are really poor when comparing it next to the Panasonic. (The credits at the end of the Simpsons are a really good demonstration of this).

With DC on, the blacks are a lot closer to the Panasonic, but the whites on the Samsung are washed-out to a greater extent. Again, you may not notice it as much but it is REALLY evident when put next to the Panny. It's the same effect as when you wash a white shirt with black socks!

So it really boils down to whether you prefer deep, dark blacks or true whites. I went for DC on, so here's my settings:

Contrast: 90
    Brightness: 48
    Sharpness: 100
    Colour: 55
    Colour Tone: Warm1

Digital NR: On
    Dynamic Contrast: On
    Brightness Sensor: Off

[​IMG]

I tried to get a shot that demonstrated the difference between the two screens (but failed miserably!). But the definition of the grass on the Panny (right) was top notch:

[​IMG]

(one other thing to notice - the Samsung screen was 1cm bigger than the Panasonic!)