1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung LE32R41B. Given a second chance, would you buy it again?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by mince bigalow, Aug 28, 2005.

1. mince bigalow

mince bigalow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all. I've just phoned up Empire Direct to place an order for a Samsung LE32R41B. I've read through all of the threads regarding this set and it's "issues", and I've seen it running with a DVD in Comet. I like the look of the set and from the short time I saw it the image was OK. Obviously this tearing problem is annoying to a lot of people, but there is one important thing I'd like to know. I would appreciate if owners of this set would answer one question for me:

After experiencing the image quality, price and other issues, would you buy this set again given another chance?

If you could give reasons too I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

2. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Well my TV (LE-26R41BD) has unfortunately developed a fault with the red colour processing resulting in weird pixels appearing on the screen and some strange oversaturated colours particularly on faces and backgrounds so it's going back to TribalUK on Wednesday. I've also reported the 720p/60Hz tearing problem as well.

Until the processing fault occurred I was absolutely delighted with the TV's picture quality - it's superb - and was even prepared to put up with the minor tearing issue, which wasn't such a big deal for me anyway. Now I'm disappointed because I fear the same problems will occur on the new TV. I know I'm just being paranoid but I can't help thinking that. For the price, the Samsung TV is superb value for money but I'm praying that the low price isn't the reason for the problems I'm having.

3. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Yes and no. :) It all depends on how much I had to spend on an LCD.

For ~£850 you cannot buy a better LCD that size.

The response time is great; with a progressive signal there is virtually no blurring.

For SD sources (freeview, sky etc) the picture was good, but not great. Personally I am going to be selling mine to downsize, and am planning on buying the new Sony 26" V series LCD, as it is said to handle SD content better. However with a progressive signal (DVDs, games, HDTV) the display is stunning.

If you can/are prepared to spend more money, you can of course buy a better display. The Sony V series looks to be a great set, but at twice the price, the difference may not be justified.

As a side-note, I have yet to see any tearing on my LE32R41BX; and I haven't heard of anyone with a BX display that has. (I know three other people with an LE__R41BX)

4. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Have you considered the Sharp P50E series, in theory should be better for SD sources and cheaper than the Sony.

5. mince bigalow

mince bigalow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info guys, keep it coming :)

Neil, I saw the Sharp in a local shop and thought it looked rather nice. Got home and realised it was only 960x540 (i think?) res so decided its not for me. I agree though, if youre not after HD then it's a good set.

6. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    My televisions watching is SD, but everything else I use is ED, and very soon it'll be HD. I'm a gamer, so in November I'll be wanting to play games in 720p when Xbox 360 is released.

7. mince bigalow

mince bigalow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, and Andrew. How much are you going to be selling yours for? I might know someone who'd be interested ;)

And are you saying the the X version seems to be free from this tearing problem? If so maybe I can get Samsung to swap it if mine has it?

8. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    The BX and BDX models are exactly the same as the B and BD versions. It just seems that some suppliers refer to those models with an X at the end for some reason.

9. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Apparently it's been argued that it should also make good work of 1080i sources since it doesn't have to do any complicated scaling, in fact some have said that this is the real reason Sharp have gone for the 540 vertical resolution rather than using the correct PAL 576 resolution. Since HD is going to be limited to minimal number of channels on Sky for some time to come I'm thinking that this could well be a good compromise for the short term.

10. garciag5

garciag5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think my set (LE32R51BX) has developed the same fault yesterday (30 days after purchase) as Doctor Haydes.

The entire color palette seems to be screwed - similar to a negative color photo. With red pixels appearing everywhere!!!! A Samsung service engineer is scheduled to pick it up this week.

11. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Hi Garciag5,

I'm sorry to hear your TV has developed a similar fault to mine but to be honest I was relieved that no-one else has had this problem. Now though I'm wondering if it's going to become another common fault of this set like the tearing issue.

My TV doesn't go back until Wednesday and I've got it on now. The fault is there all the time now, dark flickering blue pixel patches on light backgrounds and weird contrasts on faces when it gets really bad. It can be clearly seen by looking at the still picture of the woman in the My Colour Control menu. Her jumper has a light red patch with flickering dark and light red pixel around it. Her face also has some light blue flickering pixels too. A red line can also be clearly seen running down the left hand side of the screen when you turn the TV on and it can be seen easily when there is no picture source and the background is set to blue. It seems that the red processing is all messed up for some reason.

Does that describe your problem? What does the My Colour Control picture look like for you?

If my new TV develops the same fault then I'm going to ask for my money back and buy a Sony V series LCD at a later date. Although I loved the image quality and was happy with the TV before this fault occurred, I fear that I'm going to be constantly looking for it on the new one in case it happens again... :(

12. thunt

thunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some days my picture looks fantastic - other days its rubbish.

I noticed for the first time the other day, from a DVD source, reds and blues were covered in a black snow. I tried several DVD players in several inputs and had the same result. Switching the TV off and on again cured the problem.

I'm now wondering if I have an itermittent problem which is why sometimes it looks great and others it looks poor. Telephone calls to Samsung have resulted in them telling me to dicconnect everything and then reconnect devices one at a time until I found what is causing the interference. I think it's a set fault, but might be difficult to convince samsung.

Tim

13. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    I first noticed my TV's fault while watching a DVD on the Samsung DVD-HD850 player using the HDMI lead. I'm not sure whether the black snow you are describing is the same problem as mine but it sounds like it. If by black snow you mean patches of dark pixels appearing in light areas and light ones in dark areas then it's the same problem. At the moment, this fault is permanently on my TV, whereas before it was intermittent. Now I can see dark blue pixels throughout the picture and it appears to be getting worse. Thank goodness it goes back the day after tomorrow.

I contacted Samsung about it and they said that it's an isolated case since they've haven't heard from anyone else about it and needs repairing but then they said exactly the same thing about the tearing and we know that isn't isolated either.

14. garciag5

garciag5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Doctor, the problem with my set is exactly as you but mine seems far worse. All colours are distorted with red & blue flickering picel. Have a red bands of pixels (about 5-6 inches wide) on the blue background.

The TV was perfect up until yesterday. I got the same problem as you yesterday morning, where the red pixels appears around the edges of an object, such as faces. Turned the set off and on again - and the problem was far worse, turned it off and on again and the problem was gone - perfect picture again. When i turned it on in the evening the problem was back far worse than any other time before - after turning it off/on god knows how many times, unplugging all the external sources in and out once it was perfect again - no problems at all. This morning, when I turned it on, there was no problem, but the red pixels came back again after about 3 minutes of it being powered up.

So once you get this problem with your set, it'll just get worse and worse, but you may get an evening's viweing out of it if you power it up and down a few times :-((((((

I'd post some pictures, but I don't have the usb lead for my camera at work.

Forgot to mention, that I am traking the "Samsung Service Engineer" route. Four reasons:
    #1 I bought my TV from the UK but live in Ireland
    #2 Samsung confirmed that the engineer would arrange to pick up the TV within 2 working days
    #3 The TV will be gone for up to 10 working days tops
    #4 The Fault will be fixed (fingers crossed), whereas with a new set there is a danger of the fault developing at a later stage

If anything else fails, I will also be looking for a refund and buy a next-gen Sony (which incidently have the next gen Samsung panel - at least that is what I read on this forum somewhere) ...

15. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Your problem does sound exactly like mine and I managed to get rid of it the first time I saw it by turning the TV off and on. I've just tried unplugging everything except the TV and my GameCube and I still have the flickering pixels on the ground where it's brown. I agree with you though, what was once an intermittent fault, is now there all the time on my TV and I can't get rid of it at all now.

Samsung actually recommended me contact my supplier for a replacement rather than go down the repair route because my TV is less than a month old. However, call me paranoid if you want, but I can't help thinking that the new set will end up going the same way so I can't blame you for going for the repair option. It's likely I'll end up having to do that or better still if it does happen again I'm getting my money back and buying a Sony LCD.

16. garciag5

garciag5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Samsung also recommended that I contact the supplier, but given the geography and chance that the problem will also appear on a replacement set, I am happy (well relatively given the circumstances) to go the repair route.

Let's see if other people's sets also develop this fault, but I hope they don't

17. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Well my TV worked fine when it was only getting moderate use, i.e. three or four hours a day, since I was working during the day. I've been off a week and using the TV a lot to watch DVDs and play games and that's when the fault occurred. So far three people including myself seem to have this fault and that's just on this forum. I hope for the sake of my replacement TV that this is a rare problem and not another one on the scale of the 'tearing' issue.

18. garciag5

garciag5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have the TV on for about 5 hours a day (weekdays) and pretty much all day Sundays, do its getting quite a bit of use.

19. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Do you have Dynamic Contrast on or off? I ask because I've only just turned it off and I'm wondering whether leaving it on has damaged the processing. I know it shouldn't happen but the picture fault I'm having looks very much like an issue relating to the contrast. I decided I preferred the picture with it off but only after three weeks of use so I'm definitely going to turn it off the second I turn on my new TV... just in case...

20. garciag5

garciag5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I had it on for the first 1.5 weeks, but then turned it off along with the brightness sensor as a lot of scenes were just too dark in the evenings.

21. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    The "X" models seem to have the "Rome" firmware, wheras the others seem to have the "Grenwich" firmware. (I assume it's european/uk models)

I've not seen anyone report a problem with the X models so far. I ordered from Empire Direct, and while it was listed as a LE32R41B, it was the LE32R41BX I got.

I'm hopefully going to be selling to someone on another forum, but if the sale falls through, I'll let you know.

As it's only a month or two old, I was selling it for £800 delivered, £900 with the XRGB2+ upscan converter to convert all interlaced sources to progressive. (although it's mostly for games, but it does a far better job than the TV's internal scaler/deinterlacer)

I don't know for sure, but I know four other people with the 26/32 "X" models and none of them have seen 720p tearing. They all ordered from Empire Direct around the same time I did.

22. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    No, I'd never buy it again. Every time there's a thread about it asking people's opinions, I hear about more and more problems that I never knew of before. Even if it hadn't had the tearing problem, I'd have sent it back anyway because of the lack of backlight adjust - inexcusable omission, IMHO.

23. mince bigalow

mince bigalow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the info guys. We actually went for something else, but I'm not sure if it was a good idea or not.

Our local co-op had this offer on over the weekend where you get a scratch card when you go in, and it gives you either 5,10,15,20,25 or 50% off anything in store. We were lucky enough to get a 25% card (After going in and out many times ;)). Their selection of LCD TVs was pretty bad, but we went back in today to get a microwave with the card and noticed they had two new TVs, a Sharp 32P50 and a Philips 26PF5520D. Basically we walked out having ordered the Philips 26PF5520D for £711 along with a free Philips portable DVD player worth £150. I took my XBOX in and had a play around with the screen, and thought it was pretty good, and it also had built in freeview that I liked, although it looked rather blocky! Should be here next Tuesday.

Anyone else seen this TV (or the 32") and compared it to the Samsung? I tested the Samsung with a different source in another shop so can't really compare them too well. Did I make the right decision?

24. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    I can't comment on the TV you've bought but What Video and Widescreen TV magazine said this about the Samsung LE-32R41BD TV:

They rated it as follows:

Picture *****
    Sound ****
    Features *****
    Ease of use ****
    Value *****

Overall Verdict *****

If it wasn't for the damn fault I've got on mine, I'd pretty much agree with that but I'm a bit peed off at the moment... :(

25. davefuggle

davefuggle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As we seem to be collecting Samsung LE32R41B faults here, I'm going to take the liberty to repost the one I posted to the main long thread:

On Saturday I spoke to the dealer I bought the set from - he made a couple of suggestions that made no difference. Next step is he's going to contact Samsung and take it from there. The aerial in now in the loft and everything is cabled up (boy was it hot up there!)

Oh, in answer to the original question, it depends on how this particular issue is resolved.....

Dave

26. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I lost all respect for them when I read that. IIRC, it was as part of a roundup of 20 LCD TVs and it seemed like they hadn't spent enough time with each one. They got the info wrong and falsely claimed that this Samsung had a DVI input. Also I realize many people are very happy with the Picture quality, but rating this set which has no image "cleanup" technology at all a 5/5 - the same league as the best Philips Pixel Plus and Sony Wega sets - is ridiculous.

27. Gizmoboy

Gizmoboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There were 3 LCDs, 4 PLASMAS, a DLP, and a CRT being reviewed. I don't think there was a round up/head-to-head/group testing going on. Unless I'm missing a few pages :).

In respect to the connection issue - there is a picture of the back panel with connections - so the user with any sense should be able to make out whats there.

Lastly, is DNle not Samsungs equivalent to PP or Wega?

Regards,

Gizmo

28. davefuggle

davefuggle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what does DNIe do then?

Dave

29. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I thought DNIe was just a system that altered the black and white levels to give the illusion of more contrast. Could be totally off the mark though!

Thanks for the correction on that BTW Gizmoboy - I didn't actually buy the magazine myself. I just read it in the shop :oops:

30. Gizmoboy

Gizmoboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problems... :smashin:

For your reference - DNle apparently uses 5 image enhancers to improve contrast, motion, details and colour. The last is in the latest variant is for colour correction/control (I think!).

Oh, WHC (Oct 2005) - did a group test 6 LCDs and Samsung (LE26R41BD) came out on top just above the Toshiba 27WL56P. The Samsung looks tempting... but I never rely on just reviews and would like 'real world' opinions (though I did see the set in Comet). I'll keep reading through the site before putting the money down!

Regards,

Gizmo