Samsung LE32c530/c580 and UE32c5100/c5800

slouchbeanie

Standard Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, spent alot of time reading through the forums on these tv's taking in what i can but some of it is a bit beyond me. Im looking for a tv to go in my room that will be used mainly for my xbox and also to watch a bit of tv, and possibly hook up a media streamer and skyHD tv.
I know the main difference between both LCD's and LED's is the added freeview HD but i was wonderng is there any other difference?
And in terms of input lag/price difference/viewing quality & overall experience do the LED's have any advantage other than looking a bit cooler?
Also considering the 40" models of the LCD's but the LED's in 40" go out my price range (£400ish).
Cheers.

can get good 42" plasma for £400 or less and they will be better for gaming as they suppose to have lower lag etc...

Sorry for bumping this thread, still havent decided which to buy. Was about to order the 580 then realised i'd overlooked it not having a headphone jack, because i'll be doing alot of late night watching through the USB port & the tv i sort of need one. Is there anyway its possible to hook up headphones? If not looks like the LED's become a better option. Cheers.

Apparently so, never thought to check sammy's website. Only read through the owners thread and various others on here, I'll have to nip in my local currys to check, cheers.

Alright guys, spent alot of time reading through the forums on these tv's taking in what i can but some of it is a bit beyond me. Im looking for a tv to go in my room that will be used mainly for my xbox and also to watch a bit of tv, and possibly hook up a media streamer and skyHD tv.
I know the main difference between both LCD's and LED's is the added freeview HD but i was wonderng is there any other difference?
And in terms of input lag/price difference/viewing quality & overall experience do the LED's have any advantage other than looking a bit cooler?
Also considering the 40" models of the LCD's but the LED's in 40" go out my price range (£400ish).
Cheers.

Opt for the Samsung 40C580 via Amazon UK

PS: Some of the 32C530/C580 seem to suffer from dragging blacks, so it maybe better to opt for the LED version as they contain panel from CMI/CHILIN. But the blacks won't be as deep and the overall image quality likely to take a hit.

Opt for the Samsung 40C580 via Amazon UK

PS: Some of the 32C530/C580 seem to suffer from dragging blacks, so it maybe better to opt for the LED version as they contain panel from CMI/CHILIN. But the blacks won't be as deep and the overall image quality likely to take a hit.
Ordered the 32c580 from John Lewis last night already mate :). The LED's an extra £100 from John lewis as they dont sell the c5100, i'll see what my c580's like when it arrives. Cheers.

I've been wondering the same thing as the OP. I've narrowed down my choice of TVs to the C580 or the C5800.
From the research I've done it doesn't seem worth while buying an edge-lit LED TV:
2010 Samsung LED HDTV Sets - Product Evaluation: Key Features for 2010
"What a standard edge LED backlight really gives you is a slimmer TV that is more eco-friendly than a standard LCD TV."
However, there is only 20W difference in power used by the C580 compared to the C5800 - according to Samsung's specs:
Television | SAMSUNG
This page seems to say that LEDs have a worse picture quality:
LED TV vs LCD TV : LCD TV Buying Guide covers LED vs LCD
CONTRAST / BLACK LEVELS:
1. Local dimming LED
2. Recent LCD
3. Edge-lit LED
COLOR ACCURACY
1. Local dimming LED
2. LCD and edge-lit LED are the same
VIEWING ANGLES
1. Local dimming LED
2. Recent LCD
3. Edge-lit LED
FAST-MOVING VIDEO PLAYBACK
1. Local dimming LED, LCD and edge-lit LED are the same
GAMING
1. Local dimming LED, LCD and edge-lit LED are the same
I'm going to buy from John Lewis where the C580 is £399 and the C5800 is £459. Is it worth paying the extra £60 for the LED model?

Thanks.
JonB

Do you watch/play dark stuff and are you sensitive to backlight bleed/clouding?

Which did you prefer on demo?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom