Samsung LE32B450 vs Samsung LE32B450 vs Toshiba Regza 32AV615DB

CocaineWhite

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there guys!

After much lurking and shopping I have narrowed down the top 3 choices of 32" LCD for people shopping on a budget (me!)

Im using this for my room, mainly to play Xbox 360 and to link to my PC!

So its down to

1.Toshiba Regza 32AV615DB @ 299.99

Toshiba Regza 32AV615DB 32-inch Widescreen HD Ready LCD: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

2. Hitachi UT32MH70 @ 269.99

HITACHI UT32MH70 at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

3. Samsung LE32B450 @ 334.99

SAMSUNG LE32B450 at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

While I'm obviously not spending a fortune, I still want to get the best LCD panel for my hard earned pounds!

I haven't heard that much about the Toshiba, but have read up exensively on the Hitachi (reviews and the thread on here). The Samsungs seems to be similar to the 457 panel, which is ok apart from some motion blur (this does put me off a bit since I will be using it primarily for gaming)

Not worried about sound as it will be linked to my Logitech Z-5500s (which I love for the price btw), so its really just picture quality that we are looking at here.

At the moment, the Toshiba seems to be my favourite, because of its tuner and number of HDMI connections (vs the Hitachi) and its price (vs the Samsung)

If it was you......?

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I was looking at the Samsung and the Toshiba also and have been wondering which way to jump, the Samsung gets good reviews on Amazon and seems more popular, however I have checked out older versions of both and the Toshiba seems to look more natural to me, with better colours....Still not sure though, sorry about the confusion, am in your boat.

As you say, the Toshiba does appear to be a very new model, which doesn't seem to have been reviewed anywhere yet, which is unusual.

However some other retailers are charging up to £400 for it, which does make that Amazon price look VERY competitive!

You can always send it back if you don't like it, so if I were in your shoes I think that is the one I would be going for.

If I hadn't just bought an LG 32LG3000 for £269.99 my order would have already been placed! :)

I am thinking of this model too. Might just bite the bullet and go for it - can have it by Wed with express delivery for only £7.

Unless you feel like sharing where you got your LG from? :) Is this set likely to be better than the Toshiba?

Unless you feel like sharing where you got your LG from? :) Is this set likely to be better than the Toshiba?
I actually picked it up from a branch of 'The Range'.

It was ex. Empire Direct stock, but still in a pristine factory sealed box... and only manufactured in January 2009!

I think they have all gone now though, but in any case I would not like to say whether or not it would be a 'better' buy than the Toshiba... I just couldn't resist it at that price though, and am very pleased with it indeed! :thumbsup:

I am thinking of this model too. Might just bite the bullet and go for it - can have it by Wed with express delivery for only £7.

If you do go for it, could you post a quick review of what you think of it when it arrives!? That would be an amazing help - especially if you are using it with an Xbox 360 or connected to your PC!

Interesting what you say about the older versions of the Toshibas MCK247 - hopefully that will hold up for this gen as well.

The Toshiba is looking more and more like the best deal every time I go back to it, especially considering that people seem to think to get Tuner/DVD etc set up with the Hitachi will end up costing 100+ pounds once you've bought HDMI switching gear and set top box. Last week I would have gone there, this week its all about the Toshiba.

Now just waiting for a review......

Last edited:
So I've just bought the Toshiba off Amazon. It should arrive by tomorrow lunchtime and I'll put some first impressions on here once it's set up.

Any quick pointers on how best to set up the picture? This is my first LCD!

I'd be interested to know also. The Toshiba looks to be quite tempting for my first LCD!

I'm also considering my first LCD purchase and the 32 inch Samsung and Toshiba models of this thread are my 2 contenders....I find it hard to judge picture quality on the display models in the likes of Comet/Currys so would much appreciate other forum members views who have these models and can give a valid recommendation.....or not!!
Cheers

i've just ordered one of these too, had a talk with the guy in richer sounds when i was asking about the hitachi and he seemed to think it was a really good deal.

will post when it arrives on quality etc.

To all those that have ordered this:

Thanks: A short review would be awesome! In the absence of professional review we need as many user opinions as possible.

I'm at work in Oz atm, but I think when I get back next week, if you guys tell me its all good, I'll drop the cash.

The 32AV635 has Metabrain, Resolution+ and Active Vision II and costs 349 pounds.

Well, I have finally finished setting the Toshiba up. Actually, setting the TV up was easy - turn on, press ok a couple of times to tune in Freeview and plug in the Sky+. What actually took time was assembling the stand I bought to go with it.

But anyway, the TV:

Picture seems really good - haven't seen any obvious quality problems with SD content. No compression artifacts or any fuzziness from whatever upscaling is going on. Some quick adjustments of colour temperature was all that seemed necessary. It's certainly as good and probably better than my CRT. If it wasn't dead, I'd try to compare the two...

Sound seemd ok too. A little flat for my liking, but I have a 5.1 surround system which is hooked up to the Sky+, so I'm used to some pretty fat bass.

Not much of a review, I know, but for all those people wanting to know if it was too cheap to be decent, then answer seems to be no.

Well, I have finally finished setting the Toshiba up. Actually, setting the TV up was easy - turn on, press ok a couple of times to tune in Freeview and plug in the Sky+. What actually took time was assembling the stand I bought to go with it.

But anyway, the TV:

Picture seems really good - haven't seen any obvious quality problems with SD content. No compression artifacts or any fuzziness from whatever upscaling is going on. Some quick adjustments of colour temperature was all that seemed necessary. It's certainly as good and probably better than my CRT. If it wasn't dead, I'd try to compare the two...

Sound seemd ok too. A little flat for my liking, but I have a 5.1 surround system which is hooked up to the Sky+, so I'm used to some pretty fat bass.

Not much of a review, I know, but for all those people wanting to know if it was too cheap to be decent, then answer seems to be no.

Thats great! Most appreciated DickieBlack! Probably all I needed to hear! I'll be using a 5.1 kit as well so have no worries about the sound.

I'll get it next week so it gets delivered the week I arrive back in the UK - I'll be sure to pop back here to do my own review, I'll be testing Xbox 360 and PC input sources to complement what DickieBlack has talked about with SD.

Well the Toshiba has just arrived from Amazon for me also, very happy with the TV, seems a great deal @ £299. Colour is good, and regular TV looks good through my Virgin Box, haven't tried any HD yet, but can only assume this would look better.

Recommended.

how long did delivery take from amazon? hoping it arrives on saturday when i'm not at work!!

Recieved my Tosh this morning,bought for my mum,and got to say first impressions are very good.
Took minutes to set up and a really good picture from the freeview.
SD is all it will be used for,so very happy as is my mum.

Looks a great buy for the money(£400 in Argos,Curry's),and now thinking of buying myself one for the bedroom.

ok, just got the despatch email from amazon and it's getting delivered through home delivery network. from what i can glean off of other forums, this company are rubbish! have any of the people that have got their tv had any issues?

ok, so tv is here, setup a breeze, picture quality is really good for the money. would definitely recommend.

ok, so tv is here, setup a breeze, picture quality is really good for the money. would definitely recommend.
Pleased to hear that it has come up to expectations!

Can I please ask; when Amazon despatch something large, like a TV, do they add any additional protection, such as plastic wrapping, or do they just stick the address labels or whatever directly onto the manufacturer's box?

Thanks.

Its gone up to 309.99!

I can't order it because I'm away at work! I hope it doesn't go up anymore!

Oh btw: if anyone who's got one is still reading this thread could you tell me if it has any audio output connections or just headphones?

Oh btw: if anyone who's got one is still reading this thread could you tell me if it has any audio output connections or just headphones?

Just got my Toshiba32AV615DB, quite impressed so far. As regards audio output it has an optical digital output on the rear.

Its gone up to 309.99!

I can't order it because I'm away at work! I hope it doesn't go up anymore!

Right guys

So I got my 615DB on Sunday and set it up. Frankly, I'm blown away with the image quality for 300 pounds! I've been using it with a 360 linked via VGA and linked to my Laptop via HDMI. I watched Transformers in 720p and from a distance of about 6 feet the image was sharp, with good black levels, vibrant colours, and smooth motion. I've also been paying Call of Duty World at War and GTA 4, both games where contrast is important and I haven't had to strain my eyes to see whats going on at all. It looks great, nice thin polished bezel with glowing Toshiba logo (you can turn this off if you like), the menu is easy to use and clear, and the remote has nice big buttons and is logically laid out.

It is quite a thick LCD, about 90mm so maybe not ideal for wall mounting but for me it is without doubt a top quality purchase. Sound wise, I can't speak because I have it plugged into a 5.1 kit. I'm not saying its the only option but if your in the market for a 32" LCD and you don't want to pay a fortune I will be very very suprised if anyone isn't happy with this set.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom