Samsung LE3241BDX DTV Green Flash

Lyris said:
To be honest I have to look at this from two points of view, the first one is that if you're happy with it then good on you.

The other one though relates to the eye rolling
rolleyes.gif
smilie thing. Are you suggesting that it's OK to spend into the hundreds on a TV and then complain when it has faults like this? If so... talk about lowering the bar :eek:

And are you suggesting there is a perfect LCD screen out there that has no faults whatsoever - do tell!!????

It is the nature of the beast, almost all AV equipment will have some nuscance or another. Tearing, we could not look past, but green flashes alot of us are putting up with it as it is not a huge distraction (hence the low key posts on this topic)

when the tearing issue was in full swing, I contemplated swapping this LCD for another - but for the money, features, value & quality - nothing came close - and in my eyes still dosent!

A green flash every 2hrs (if that) on freeview is not enough for me to seek a refund!

However, being the ambassodor for all things Samsung Lyris, be my guest - give Samsung a ring, raise the bar - demand that green flash firmware upgrade for us!!! :D :rotfl: :hiya: :rolleyes:

No, there's no perfect LCD screen. But a green flash? Come on, that's not really comparable to a dead pixel. Dead pixels are an inherent problem with LCD technology that manufacturers recognize and are trying to fix. Green flashes aren't.

bonc said:
However, being the ambassodor for all things Samsung Lyris, be my guest - give Samsung a ring, raise the bar - demand that green flash firmware upgrade for us!!! :D :rotfl: :hiya: :rolleyes:
:rotfl: All right, will do :thumbsup:

Lyris said:
No, there's no perfect LCD screen. But a green flash? Come on, that's not really comparable to a dead pixel. Dead pixels are an inherent problem with LCD technology that manufacturers recognize and are trying to fix. Green flashes aren't.

:rotfl: All right, will do :thumbsup:

What on earth are you on about Lyris, Green flashes, dead pixels - your losing it mate - LOL :D

bonc said:
And are you suggesting there is a perfect LCD screen out there that has no faults whatsoever - do tell!!????

It is the nature of the beast, almost all AV equipment will have some nuscance or another. Tearing, we could not look past, but green flashes alot of us are putting up with it as it is not a huge distraction (hence the low key posts on this topic)

when the tearing issue was in full swing, I contemplated swapping this LCD for another - but for the money, features, value & quality - nothing came close - and in my eyes still dosent!

A green flash every 2hrs (if that) on freeview is not enough for me to seek a refund!

I'd call a green flash onscreen on a routine basis 'unacceptable'. Is it too much to ask that the set works properly? Apparently so. If I got a set that acted like this I'd expect the manufacturer to issue a fix or if not, return the set.

As it happens, my LE32R51B has got bigger issues - the image has gone 'solarised' after five days of use. It's going back and I'm seriously thinking about whether or not to stick with Samsung, given the volume of problems reported here (both 'niggles' and actual hardware defects).

As for tearing, I'd guess that the problem wouldn't even affect 90% of users out there. Interesting that you care about that yet don't seem to be bothered about something as fundamental as watching TV. Well done to Samsung for sorting it, though. Hopefully they'll do the same for their DTT decoders

Gav

gavan said:
As for tearing, I'd guess that the problem wouldn't even affect 90% of users out there. Interesting that you care about that yet don't seem to be bothered about something as fundamental as watching TV.

Gav

if you'd seen the green flash problem, u'd understand! it aint that big a deal.

If I wanted a screen to watch telly on, i'd of kept with my Sony Trinitron CRT :rolleyes:

The Samsung I brought for the component/hdmi ports (HIGH DEF!) and theres no problems there(green flash)! tearing afected those ports - big problem :mad: got it sorted!

p.s funny thing is, im the chap who mentioned the solarization issues with my first panel - I think you were enquiring about me in another post :devil:

bonc said:
if you'd seen the green flash problem, u'd understand! it aint that big a deal.

If I wanted a screen to watch telly on, i'd of kept with my Sony Trinitron CRT :rolleyes:

The Samsung I brought for the component/hdmi ports (HIGH DEF!) and theres no problems there(green flash)! tearing afected those ports - big problem :mad: got it sorted!

p.s funny thing is, im the chap who mentioned the solarization issues with my first panel - I think you were enquiring about me in another post :devil:

I can't see how the screen flashing green at random intervals during the middle of TV programmes _wouldn't_ be annoying and yes, I do expect to watch TV on a TV set.

Just because YOU personally aren't likely to be affected doesn't mean that others don't have a legitimate gripe. I don't have the affected model myself but if I did I'd send it back.

So, I take it that it wasn't possible to fix the solarisation problems on your first panel then? Given the raft of problems I'm seeing reported about these sets, I'm really wondering if I did the right thing going for a LE32R51B. Certainly, having the set go faulty within 5 days of purchase doesn't inspire confidance in the product. My faithful 29" Trinitron worked flawlessly for six years - too bad I gave it away to a friend when I got the Samsung :-(

Gav

gavan said:
I can't see how the screen flashing green at random intervals during the middle of TV programmes _wouldn't_ be annoying and yes, I do expect to watch TV on a TV set.

Just because YOU personally aren't likely to be affected doesn't mean that others don't have a legitimate gripe. I don't have the affected model myself but if I did I'd send it back.

My faithful 29" Trinitron worked flawlessly for six years - too bad I gave it away to a friend when I got the Samsung :-(

Gav

The WHOLE screen does not flash green, you havent seen the problem, yet your providing comment!!!! :mad: :lesson:

re your triniton, More fool you then! :rolleyes:

gavan said:
As it happens, my LE32R51B has got bigger issues - the image has gone 'solarised' after five days of use. It's going back and I'm seriously thinking about whether or not to stick with Samsung, given the volume of problems reported here (both 'niggles' and actual hardware defects).
Gav

Gavan; what do you mean by 'solarised'? I've got a LE26R41BX that's about 6 weeks old. I've now got lots of green dots all over the screen and peoples faces get a strange texture to them that I can't explain.
There is a pic of it here that shows the green dots

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254666

bonc said:
The WHOLE screen does not flash green, you havent seen the problem, yet your providing comment!!!! :mad: :lesson:

re your triniton, More fool you then! :rolleyes:

I'm providing comment on the fact that you are choosing to slag off someone making a legitimate complaint on the basis that it wouldn't affect you. Many people wouldn't have been affected by the tearing problem of the Samsungs, yet wouldn't have the rudeness to have a go at someone who did complain.

The OP reports that "every now and again I get a very quick green flash whilst watching freeview channels". If that's the case, he has every right to complain and expect Samsung to bring out a fix for it, not to be slagged off for complaining.

As for the Trinitron, it was a great set. Good picture quality and no reliability problems. That's more than I can say for the Samsung based on my first week's ownership.

Gav

garyf said:
Gavan; what do you mean by 'solarised'? I've got a LE26R41BX that's about 6 weeks old. I've now got lots of green dots all over the screen and peoples faces get a strange texture to them that I can't explain.
There is a pic of it here that shows the green dots

It's not quite the same, but is similar. Basically, it looks like the colour sampling has been reduced in range and the number of shades of colours has been greatly reduced. The effect is particularly bad on skin tones, where the reduction in shades of colour really shows up. I'd guess that it's a more severe form of what you are suffering.

The in-set menus aren't affected, so it looks like the problem lies in the Analogue to Digital conversion, or the picture processing.

Gav

gavan said:
I'm providing comment on the fact that you are choosing to slag off someone making a legitimate complaint on the basis that it wouldn't affect you. Many people wouldn't have been affected by the tearing problem of the Samsungs, yet wouldn't have the rudeness to have a go at someone who did complain.

The OP reports that "every now and again I get a very quick green flash whilst watching freeview channels". If that's the case, he has every right to complain and expect Samsung to bring out a fix for it, not to be slagged off for complaining.

As for the Trinitron, it was a great set. Good picture quality and no reliability problems. That's more than I can say for the Samsung based on my first week's ownership.

Gav

I cant believe im wasting time further with someone who hasn't even seen the Green flash issue!!

but here goes,

Slag is a strong word Gavan, I have not slagged anyone off in this thread and have merely stated in my opinion that the Green flash problem is not that much of an issue.

Although I'm getting very close to slagging you off in a sec!!! but I wont LOL - calming down......

Yes if anyone wants to make a legitamate complaint about this issue, be my guest - you are certainly entitled to. However, do not be suprised when Samsung does nothing with regards the issue..

:rolleyes: p.s pls note this stands for a rolling of the eyes a sigh, not a slagging off, of an individual!!! :D

I think I have the skin tone issue too Gav. It seems to get worse the longer the TV is on regardles of input source. I've called Samsung and described it to them, they think I have a fault and are going to get my local repair agent out.

bonc said:
I cant believe im wasting time further with someone who hasn't even seen the Green flash issue!!

but here goes,

Slag is a strong word Gavan, I have not slagged anyone off in this thread and have merely stated in my opinion that the Green flash problem is not that much of an issue.

Although I'm getting very close to slagging you off in a sec!!! but I wont LOL - calming down......

Yes if anyone wants to make a legitamate complaint about this issue, be my guest - you are certainly entitled to. However, do not be suprised when Samsung does nothing with regards the issue..

:rolleyes: p.s pls note this stands for a rolling of the eyes a sigh, not a slagging off, of an individual!!! :D

There's a picture of it here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18751

If you think having that effect flash up at random when you're trying to watch the telly is nothing to be bothered about in a set that costs the best part of a grand, well that's your right I guess.

Personally, I would've higher expectations of quality.

Gav

garyf said:
I think I have the skin tone issue too Gav. It seems to get worse the longer the TV is on regardles of input source. I've called Samsung and described it to them, they think I have a fault and are going to get my local repair agent out.

Here's a snap I took (hopefully the attachment function will work)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21148&stc=1

It was taken from a mobile, but you get the idea. It shows the effect on skin ... smooth gradations are lost. On general TV viewing of landscape etc you get some pretty funky effects.

Gav

Attachments

• Image068.jpg
    Image068.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 112
This thread is getting like a Digital Spy thread. :mad:
Anyone have any cause or solutions to the problem? Without entering into a competition please. :suicide:

Yep, I've got that too Gav, as well as the green dots. I'm still waiting for Samsung service to call me back, when I initially spoke with them on Friday they said 3 - 5 working days for a call back.
As to the cause, there was another thread on here that suggested a power supply board was causing the green dot problem.

gavan said:
There's a picture of it here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18751

If you think having that effect flash up at random when you're trying to watch the telly is nothing to be bothered about in a set that costs the best part of a grand, well that's your right I guess.

Personally, I would've higher expectations of quality.

Gav

Whoah, mine dont look like that! jeez you better ring samsung - LYris any luck??? (there is no way id be able to take a picture of it either, happens way too fast for that)

As for the solirization issue, my first panel wasnt like that either - send em back guys, why u wasting time typing on here!!!!

The green 'Flash' is a completely different problem to the green dot/solarization issue.
The 'Flash' has only happened twice on my set and that was a couple of weeks back. Since then its been fine.

garyf said:
Yep, I've got that too Gav, as well as the green dots. I'm still waiting for Samsung service to call me back, when I initially spoke with them on Friday they said 3 - 5 working days for a call back.
As to the cause, there was another thread on here that suggested a power supply board was causing the green dot problem.

I have to say that sounds unlikely. Unless the PSU is failing to supply power to specific parts of the set. The pattern of failure ... working fine for a couple of days, then screwing up when cold but working ok when warmed up, then not working properly at all ... suggests a circuitboard crack or dry joint somewhere in the set.

Have you tried pulling up normal system menus? On mine, despite the solarisation of the picture from all the video inputs, the inbuilt menus look totally fine. I'm guessing that the fault lies somewhere in the d/a conversion or image processing circuitry.

I'm going to test the set with a direct VGA input from my PC when I get home. AFAIK there's minimal processing on the VGA other than to sample and quantise it for display purposes.

Gav

Normal system menus appear fine, nice and sharply defined. Would be interested to hear how the pc input looks. I'll see if I've got a suitable lead and try my laptop on it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom