Samsung LE3241BDX DTV Green Flash

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by radiokid, Nov 8, 2005.

Tags:
  1. radiokid

radiokid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Samsung LE3241BDX DTV Green flash problem.

Hi all, got one of these sets and I gotta say its amazing, picture quality top notch.

Got a slight prob with it though, every now and again I get a very quick green flash whilst watching freeview channels. Any idea what this is and why it is doing it? Its only when watching freeview and doesnt happen on any other inputs.

Cheers,

Tom

2. mikeanegus

mikeanegus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get this too by the way....would be great if someone could shed some light on this....

3. radiokid

radiokid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Glad i'm not the only one, but at the same time sorry to hear that you're getting it too :)

4. Ryan_is

Ryan_is

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Posted this message yesterday...I've had the LE32R51BD for a couple of months now, but have started to notice sporadic bright colour flashes horizontally across the screen. It's as if rows of pixels flashes red, green or blue, but there doesn't seem to be any pattern to when they appear.

It's not the 'blocky' effect you get when freeview signal is poor, nor is it the 'tearing' reported(in depth) on other threads.

Has anybody else experinced this, any suggestions as to the cause or a fix?

It only happens when watching DTV, not when connected to other sources. HELP!?! it's really quite annoying

5. Bourner

Bourner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    this, must admit hasn't really bothered me that much and haven't tried to do anything about it. I have the LE32R41BDX, any information regarding this problem appreciated

6. bonc

bonc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ryan, yours sounds like "there may be trouble ahead...."

Radiokid, I get these intermittant green flashes too - infrequent, but they happen - only on DTV - would be interesting if someone could shed light on this also!!!

7. Ryan_is

Ryan_is

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Uh oh! What happens next!? Any other experiences of this would be hugely appreicated.

8. radiokid

radiokid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Seems this is a common problem, I wonder if it has any relation to firmware versions. I'm not near my TV at the moment so cant check my version. But what versions are people running; we can then at least rule out whether the problem is related to the firmware or not

9. miketrim

miketrim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I get the green flash too

10. bonc

bonc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you think it has anythingto do with the occasional brightness jumps (already documented)!?

(brightness sensor, etc)

11. Ryan_is

Ryan_is

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Brightness sensor is turned off on mine.

Firmware is original May(?) version, but haven't had any other problems such as tearing. Not near mine at the moment to confirm either.

Has any body contacted Samsung?

12. radiokid

radiokid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My brightness sensor is off as well, but as this problem doesnt occur with any other input I wouldnt have thought it was due to that anyway.

Havnt contacted Samsung yet tho, whats their customer service like?

13. Ryan_is

Ryan_is

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Not sure about customer service, only had panel a few months, no need to contact before. Will give them a call once got details of serial number, etc. and report back if any news. Keep you posted.

14. bonc

bonc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair enough,

Green and this screen has been a bugbear of mine...

but this intermittent green flash is hardly worth raising an eyebrow over! :rolleyes:

I wont loose sleep over this one, besides Ive chucked away samsungs customer service number !(one firmware update already, is more than enough for me!) :)

15. radiokid

radiokid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers, I will try and do so if I get some time, they probably shut after i leave work

16. radiokid

radiokid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bonc, i see your point, its not a serious problem and doesnt really bother me that much either. But having spent a considerable sum of money on the tv it would be nice to have it working 100% rather than 99%.

17. bonc

bonc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Yer, but to me its 100% working - the green intermittent flash is one of those things you put up with as it dosent really spoil your enjoyment of the set - and is only restricted to DTV! (Tearing - now that was something to shout about)!

Many AV items you buy today have small nuiscances that you can live with, if you really choose to!

Besides the cost of this set compared to its perfomance levels, a very nice ratio indeed.

Radiohead, I notice your also having problems with your contrast levels on this set- is this even after youve used a set up disc like AVIA/DVE?! You should do that first and see if that helps!

18. stevetuc

stevetuc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  19. bonc

bonc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So is your problem solved then steve? - ie updating your netgem freeview box may have stopped the green flashes there but the problem should be still apparent with the IDTV in the samsung if its using the same IBM thingy mi jig?

20. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    If you go into the DTV menu you can switch between the new and old firmwares so you could try the older one and see if you still have the problem?

21. stevetuc

stevetuc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I dont have a samsung yet, i posted because the greenflash problem on the IDTV is very likely the same problem that my netgem STB used to have, because they both (very likely) have the same STB controller chip (I know Samsumg uses it in their STBs). The point I was making is that it is solvable by a software update, but only if owners make sansung aware of the problem....

22. K_S

K_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have this problem when watching DTV in fact is doing it right now while typing this. Im in the opinion that "I can live with it" but if there is a simple fix, it would be good to get rid of it, as I notice it more now that I know it is there.

Will ring Samsung when I get time see what they say.

23. radiokid

radiokid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bump

24. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    bumpity bumb.. :D

25. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    To be honest I have to look at this from two points of view, the first one is that if you're happy with it then good on you.

The other one though relates to the eye rolling [​IMG] smilie thing. Are you suggesting that it's OK to spend into the hundreds on a TV and then complain when it has faults like this? If so... talk about lowering the bar :eek:

26. bonc

bonc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

And are you suggesting there is a perfect LCD screen out there that has no faults whatsoever - do tell!!????

It is the nature of the beast, almost all AV equipment will have some nuscance or another. Tearing, we could not look past, but green flashes alot of us are putting up with it as it is not a huge distraction (hence the low key posts on this topic)

when the tearing issue was in full swing, I contemplated swapping this LCD for another - but for the money, features, value & quality - nothing came close - and in my eyes still dosent!

A green flash every 2hrs (if that) on freeview is not enough for me to seek a refund!

However, being the ambassodor for all things Samsung Lyris, be my guest - give Samsung a ring, raise the bar - demand that green flash firmware upgrade for us!!! :D :rotfl: :hiya: :rolleyes:

27. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    No, there's no perfect LCD screen. But a green flash? Come on, that's not really comparable to a dead pixel. Dead pixels are an inherent problem with LCD technology that manufacturers recognize and are trying to fix. Green flashes aren't.

:rotfl: All right, will do :thumbsup:

28. bonc

bonc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What on earth are you on about Lyris, Green flashes, dead pixels - your losing it mate - LOL :D

29. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287

I'd call a green flash onscreen on a routine basis 'unacceptable'. Is it too much to ask that the set works properly? Apparently so. If I got a set that acted like this I'd expect the manufacturer to issue a fix or if not, return the set.

As it happens, my LE32R51B has got bigger issues - the image has gone 'solarised' after five days of use. It's going back and I'm seriously thinking about whether or not to stick with Samsung, given the volume of problems reported here (both 'niggles' and actual hardware defects).

As for tearing, I'd guess that the problem wouldn't even affect 90% of users out there. Interesting that you care about that yet don't seem to be bothered about something as fundamental as watching TV. Well done to Samsung for sorting it, though. Hopefully they'll do the same for their DTT decoders

Gav

30. bonc

bonc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you'd seen the green flash problem, u'd understand! it aint that big a deal.

If I wanted a screen to watch telly on, i'd of kept with my Sony Trinitron CRT :rolleyes:

The Samsung I brought for the component/hdmi ports (HIGH DEF!) and theres no problems there(green flash)! tearing afected those ports - big problem :mad: got it sorted!

p.s funny thing is, im the chap who mentioned the solarization issues with my first panel - I think you were enquiring about me in another post :devil: