Samsung LE32 software problem.

PdeG

Standard Member
Reaction score
Good morning to all.

My Samsung TV LE32A466 waited until Christmas eve and the expiry of the guarantee before it too expired.

The problem arose when, being a little dissatisfied with the sound quality, I discovered the facitlity on the menu to download new software. I followed the instructions carefully and waited...and waited. Totally frozen, with blank screen and no controls responding. So, following good computer practice, I decided to re-boot via the only method availableto me. Unplugged, plugged back in and tried to restart. Red light showing power, flickered to green for a moment and went back to red.

I am wondering if the problem was self-inflicted and perhaps the tv was not frozen but downloading very slowly. Have I therefore left myself without any operational software ? Can the problem be resolved by a service agent plugging into the service socket and re-installing the software. My local tv repair man said that much as he would like to have taken my money, he could not persuade the tv into life and I would have to go to the nearest Samsung agent.

HOWEVER, where I live in France, the nearest agent is in Toulouse 200 kms away. I could live with a 400km round trip, if I could be sure that the problem was just simple software. Does anyone have any experience of corrupted software and could they please advise on the odds of my not having fried the motherboard. (Are they called that in televisions ?)

As an aside to anyone living in France or thinking about doing so, when my local repair man said he couldn't help, I asked if he could rent me a set for a while. He said no but as it was Christmas he would lend me one 'til mine is back. Sort of restores your faith in human nature, doesn't it ?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tony.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ask the mods to move this to the correct section, it has nothing to do with Freeview.

Then take it to your local Samsung repairer and ask nicely if they can help and expect to pay.

Don't try it again, what you have done is bricked the TV.

Thank you for the advice Mr Smith.

Mods = moderators, I think. If I knew my way around this forum and could find where to make that request, I would probably have located my post correctly in the first place.

My local Samsung repairer is as I have said 200kms away and I would have like to have had some constructive advice before setting off.

I always ask nicely for anything and as my guarntee has expired, I would rather anticipate paying to have my television repaired.

"bricked the TV" ? Sorry, not familiar with the phrase in relation to televisions.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write.

Thank you for the advice Mr Smith.

Mods = moderators, I think. If I knew my way around this forum and could find where to make that request, I would probably have located my post correctly in the first place.

My local Samsung repairer is as I have said 200kms away and I would have like to have had some constructive advice before setting off.

I always ask nicely for anything and as my guarntee has expired, I would rather anticipate paying to have my television repaired.

"bricked the TV" ? Sorry, not familiar with the phrase in relation to televisions.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write.

If you are not familiar with a forum then you should look around before posting.

You have bricked the TV by putting the wrong firmware on it. No manufacturer will offer a free repair as it is self inflicted.

I gave you constructive advise take to a repairer, you obvious have no idea what you are doing, if you did you would not have bricked it in the first place.

:boring:

Thank you Ian J.

I'm glad it was not just my being over-sensitive. May I at lewast wish you a Happy New Year. I suspect.

Tony.

Hi Tony.
Yes "bricked" applies to any device being rendered inoperable by the process of loading onto it software. Not necessarily that incorrect software was supplied but that the process maybe didn't complete successfully.

Most devices should have the safeguard of only accepting for installation a firmware with the correct signature for that hardware configuration, so the likelihood that you have attempted to apply an incorrect update is slim.

My experience also with a Samsung TV was thus;-
My parents' TV, LE37.... after DSO there is no broadcast analogue signal but the analogue mode is still in the sources sequence, so during switching sources, white noise is seen. This is unsatisfactory and my father and I wondered whether analogue mode could be disabled or skipped. After a full retune to empty the stored analogue and manually tune the best Freeview ones, father mentioned firmware so I checked online and an update since the TV's purchase date was listed.
I downloaded the PDF of instructions and father emptied a USB stick and followed the instructions to the letter to unpack the firmware to the stick and connect it to the TV and begin the update process.
We watched as the TV display showed the progress of the update, and the restart at the end. During this restart, it was ambiguous in the instructions what should happen, but the TV showed the red LED flashing for ages, (way) over 10 mins. Reluctantly father pulled the mains plug, but after reconnection the TV started OK.
However we cannot see any improvement, analogue mode is still in the way, and I cannot be sure but the firmware version seems unchanged. Father has not sought to waste further time on this.

As it seems yours is a software problem, and if Samsung say it can be fixed by nominated service persons then it's reasonable to believe them.

Good morning Nvingo.

First of all please accept my apologies for not responding sooner, particularly after you had taken the trouble to write at such length.

It looks as if I shall have to bite the bullet and trot off to Toulouse, possibly twice. A new concern now is that several people on French forums have spoken less than well of the quality service that they had obtained from the agent in question.

Given that my television is out of warranty anyway, do you or or does anyone else have any experience of independent, non-official repair shops that have the necessary expertise and software.

I realise that any such information probably won't relate to where I live, but I would be interested to know if the world of televisions is like the car industry used to be, with only the main agents able to interrogate the electronics of a car.

Thank you again.

Tony.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom