Samsung LE26R87BDX Vs Sony KDL26S2010U

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by Utilityplayer, Apr 27, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Utilityplayer

Utilityplayer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help! I'm buying a 26" LCD for my conservatory but can't decide which is the best between the Samsung LE26R87BDX and the Sony KDL26S2010U. I'm leaning towards the Samsung but would love some advice even other makes that might be better. Also found them to be the cheapest at RGB Direct has anyone else ordered from here?

Cheers

2. Nielo TM

Nielo TM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    Sony is obviousely better but you can get 32” Mirai for £400

3. meath man

meath man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    typical biased comment from a forum member. Nielo, its fair enough that you think the sony is better. But surely you could back up your comment with some facts, review etc. if you cant make a objective comment then why bother...... it really does seem that a number of people on this forum have some kind of agenda and cant give out honest advice as a result.
    Original poster - comparing the tvs side by side is generally the best way to make a decision...

4. rondha

rondha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    For me the unbearable problem of Sony is the HALO distinctive problem.
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360101
    It exist on S, V and X series.
    It's so bad, not only on letters, also on every colour different boundary there is a halo or blotchy colour edge, this create kind of ghosting or troubled boundary and uneven colour edges. It could be slightly reduced but not all by lowering contrast, brightness, and sharpness, but then it would be too dark, flushed, and unwatchable.
    I have 40V2500, but I saw it at JL store the HALO blotchy colour problem also exist on 32" and 26" Sony, especially when side by side with Panasonic then the Sony crap Halo colour problem became obvious.

Seems my pre-buying survey was not entirely complete. I should have considered Samsung as well.
    The joint Sony-Samsung panel has a stronger possibilities on Samsung side since Samsung does the research and development, it holds the future.
    (wait until "LED" backlight from Samsung comes to market).

Yannis gave this link on a thread :smashin::
    http://news.com.com/Sony,+Samsung+complete+LCD+plant/2100-1041_3-5271407.html

And others gave me these:
    Samsung begins shipment 32-inch LCD TV to Sony
    http://www.emsnow.com/newsarchives/archivedetails.cfm?ID=14479

Sony Outsourcing to Samsung
    http://displayblog.wordpress.com/2006/09/08/sony-outsourcing-more-lcd-tv-production/

Sony Looking for Additional Supplier
    http://displayblog.wordpress.com/2006/06/21/sony-looking-for-additional-lcd-tv-panel-supplier/

there has been speculation that S-LCD, which is 99.99% run by Samsung employees, is supplying Samsung with superior quality panels compared to those sent to Sony.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=509626

__

5. Nielo TM

Nielo TM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    Because there's no need! Sony has always been be better then Samsung, fact! If Samsung truly want to compete against Sony, they would dump the DNIe and engineer something that will blow Sony out of the water, but instead, they continue to use the same processor with minor improvement every generation. Not to mention that Samsung uses 3rd party panels instead of the praised PVA. Granted, panels manufactured by AUO are awesome but using CMO, that's unacceptable.

We know what's better and what's not. We read the reviews and we tried to keep the answer simple as possible. If the OP wants more info, he can ask for him self.

ya, that's a real good way to compare TVs. What are you, 8?

6. rondha

rondha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Yes I admit you are right,
    that we have to read reviews.

Tbh last time I didn't read reviews and end up buying Sony, and until now I still regret that I have left Toshiba to buy Sony, especially with it's WLT68 100Hz technology.
    But now after I read more and more reviews I just realised that if I have read reviews before, then I would have bought Samsung.
    Well, no use to regret, isn't it.

_

7. meath man

meath man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    are you for real nielo. Like most things in life, buying a tv should be based on a personal viewpoint of what they think looks better. - not what so called experts like you says looks the best. Youre obviously one of these narrow minded sony fanboys who are drawn in by the sony brand and creative advertisements. Im not for 1 second saying samsung is perfect. But there is every chance that the op will prefer the samsung over the sony when comparing them side by side..... in a decent av shop (not currys etc.....) sony use samsung panels and who are you to say that everybody will prefer sonys processing over samsungs....

8. c.jelly

c.jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    SONY AM TEH BESTEST!!!111

amirite?

:rotfl:

9. Nielo TM

Nielo TM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    Buying a HDTV is like buying a PC. Its not simple as ohhh, that looks amazing, what do you think kids?

If I was an average guy who looking to buy a HDTV, I would do the following:

1. Select 5 sets within my budget
    2. Go on the net and read some pro reviews (or a magazine)
    3. Find some e-stores and read the customer reviews (lowest rating to the highest)
    4. Search the AVForums and other A/V forums top to bottom with multiple search phrases
    5. Go to the store and checkout the units (but do not judge the image quality unless the sets are properly configured and calibrated)
    6. Narrow the choice down to the final two
    7. Post a thread on the AVF regarding the chosen models and ask for people's views
    8. Find a store with best deal and excellent customer service
    9. Make the purchase
    10. Calibrate the unit and test it thoroughly for the first two weeks. If you experience any problems, act immediately!

Yes, it's long but its worth it.

In the store, TVs are connected to one equipment using long component or worse, composite cable. Only few models are connected to a dedicated HD source. To make things worst, all of them are set to torch mode.

When you get the TV home, it'll be a different story.

There are different types of panels, coupled with different processing technology. Judging the image in store would be the last thing you want to do.

10. rondha

rondha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Yes you are right.

I should have done it.

I am sure if I did it I would never end up buying this Sony,
    with this Halo problems.
    Everytime I went to friends or stores or read reviews made me more realized that buying my 40V2500 was a big mistake.
    Tweaking setting did not work.
    If somebody traces back my posting it'll show that I almost bought Panny plasma.
    I should have bought it rather than this crap Sony with halo problem that I have to watch it every day every night :(

You are right,
    I should have made a complete and mature survey first.
    Thank's

_

just a thought, probably clearer if I make some pics of the Halo in action

11. Nielo TM

Nielo TM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    how bad is it on your Sony?

PS: Does it affect all inputs?

12. Utilityplayer

Utilityplayer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I was an average guy who looking to buy a HDTV, I would do the following:

1. Select 5 sets within my budget
    2. Go on the net and read some pro reviews (or a magazine)
    3. Find some e-stores and read the customer reviews (lowest rating to the highest)
    4. Search the AVForums and other A/V forums top to bottom with multiple search phrases
    5. Go to the store and checkout the units (but do not judge the image quality unless the sets are properly configured and calibrated)
    6. Narrow the choice down to the final two
    7. Post a thread on the AVF regarding the chosen models and ask for people's views
    8. Find a store with best deal and excellent customer service
    9. Make the purchase
    10. Calibrate the unit and test it thoroughly for the first two weeks. If you experience any problems, act immediately!

Yes, it’s long but its worth it.

In the store, TVs are connected to one equipment using long component or worse, composite cable. Only few models are connected to a dedicated HD source. To make things worst, all of them are set to torch mode.

When you get the TV home, it'll be a different story.

There are different types of panels, coupled with different processing technology. Judging the image in store would be the last thing you want to do.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info I'm at stage of having narrowed it down to these two panels, I must admit I'm a Sony lover but having seen them both in the flesh I think the Samsung just edges it in both looks and performance but it was very difficult to tell because it was in Comet and they were all linked up to the same source so hard to make distinctions. I will be using it mainly for Sky for sports but will eventually link a Playstation or X-box to it and upgrade to an HD DVD and Sky HD so based on this which of these two would you recommend? Also has anyone used RGB Direct online before they were much the cheapest seller?

13. meath man

meath man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i can not recommend rgb direct utility - cutting a long story short, i bought a lcd of them about 3 years ago . It had about 5 problems where even 1 of them would have warranted a refund (local engineer agreed) - so i sent it back to them and they said their engineers looked at it and could see nothing wrong with it! so they charged me a 15% restocking charge.
    Ive no experience with them but it seems to me that you cant go far wrong with ordering from dixons online......