Samsung LE26R41BDX freeview fault / glitch?

ajeffries

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've read about tearing in some Samsung LExxR41BDX series TV's. However, mines a strange one and I wonder if anyone else has this?

- When using DTV/Freeview, very occasionally there is a glitch in the picture unrelated to poor reception. It affects a single picture frame and is usually made up of some green lines. Happens only at an instant and intermittently.

-Rarer still, the TV has switched itself off one before while in Freeview.

I think the TV is great apart from this. I'm on my second set which makes me think it is a firmware issue.

Anyone else noticed any unusual glitches while watching DTV?
I'm at a loss as to what to do :confused:

Example picture of glitch:

Attachments

• freeview.jpg
    freeview.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 620
Wow! thats bad. I havn't experienced anything like that on mine. Is it deffinitely the Tv and not the source....Maybe you should exchange it.

I'm about to order this exact set as tearing is now solved, but I don't need this. One question though how did you take the photo if it only effects a single frame and intermittently?

I would want it swapping out for a new one if it was me, how long have you had it and what firmware?

Mat

I think the firmware is ver 1000 / software 1034 (although this is from memory!). I managed to record it through AV1 onto a PVR and then played it back and paused the PVR for the picture. This indicates it's from the built in freeview decoder.

I've had this second set for six days now. Just spoken to Homecinematv, gonna email them the image and see what they say. Will let you know...

If its a fault with the freeview decoder then perhaps an over-the-air update would solve that surely?

mate,

thats worrying, I'd send it back me - wouldnt wait for a second opinion!

Its the green, its scares me something rotten on these sets!!!

however, I've had two sets now, and I do get the odd intermitent green flash at the top of screen while watching freeview (both sets) - but nothing like yours - jeez!

Maybe it's the firmware that's faulty? If so, then you can swap between the current 1034 one (dated 29/4/05) and the original 1000 version (dated 21/4/05) by pressing the Red button from within the DTV menu (I think it's in the System menu). It can't help to try I suppose...?

I did try swapping the software/firmware from 1034 to the alternate 1031 through the DTV menu but it had no effect, glitch still occasionally occurs :(

Homecinematv are going to give me another replacement next Tuesday, fingers crossed this will work! Thanks for your helpful advice/opinions!!

Unfortunately third Samsung had the same fault together with an additional picture processing fault (white interference lines commonly at the top of the screen, regardless of input type). Even tried a spike/surge protector on the power socket but no difference. I have given up and gone for the Panasonic Viera range instead.

I think the Samsung LE26R41BDX is a good television for it's price, but if you get one then test it thoroughly!

i've noticed a similar thing with my new le26r41bd where the top third of the screen will turn green for one frame and go back to normal. it's only happened on DTV so far. to be honest i can live with it, but only if it's not going to get any worse and it's not the start of the whole tv failing. does anyone have any experience of this over a longer time period - does it get worse or just stay the same?

cheers

Maybe it is because so many people here have purchased this set but there seems to be an increasing number of faults appearing on these sets.
80% of people who have brought one probably don't have any issues and we are just hearing from the 20% who are having problems.
Even so a 1 in 5 failure rate doesn't sound good,does it?

smallmanongn said:
Maybe it is because so many people here have purchased this set but there seems to be an increasing number of faults appearing on these sets.
80% of people who have brought one probably don't have any issues and we are just hearing from the 20% who are having problems.
Well No it doesn't but then again your figures are hardly scientific. The very nature of forums like this is for people to research and report faults. They will always outweigh the masses who have good experiences.

I must say I am having the same symptoms with my set. Worst is the white flicer at the top of the screen and I get very occasional green flashes in picture. Wondering if I should return it as faulty. Also wondering if I should have gone for the Sony after all....

Got to be honest.....as much as I love my set, I had EXACTLY the same as this just last night on Freeview. Only for a second but it looked almost identical.

Have had the set for just on a month.

The only other problem I have experienced with it, and have mentioned it twice now but nobody seems to have responded with a reason or possible solution.

Whilst watching DVD's via component, I have had a couple of instances where a batch of white lines have appeared to be running horizontally across the screen.
The first time it happened it lasted for no longer than a second or two, and I put it down to a glitch with the disc, but it happened a few evenings later and stayed on the screen for about 15 seconds or so. Long enough in fact for me to turn the TV off and back on again, and they were still there.
It has happend only once more since then, again only for a second or two.
Any thoughts???
Rob

My thought is there is an inherant reliability problem with these sets. I'm thinking I need to reject it ASAP and go for the Sony instead. Shame, it's a great picture otherwise.

There are just too many examples of people getting more than one faulty set. I may try Samsung tomorrow to see if a fix is available, but I doubt it.

Don't forget that these TVs were shockingly reasonably priced. They'll have had to cut corners somewhere.

Stereo Steve said:
My thought is there is an inherant reliability problem with these sets. I'm thinking I need to reject it ASAP and go for the Sony instead. Shame, it's a great picture otherwise.

There are just too many examples of people getting more than one faulty set. I may try Samsung tomorrow to see if a fix is available, but I doubt it.

With the 1st set I owned, Samsung admitted a fault in the TV, was taken away for a repair (approx 1 week) but the glitch still remained. Samsung refused to replace the TV until three attempted repairs were made. Luckily my supplier was still willing to exchange after more than a month of ownership. (Unfortunately, the second had same fault. Third had newer firmware but same fault together with an additional one!)

What I am trying to say is that if you can get a straight replacement through your supplier then take this route rather than dealing with Samsung.

ajeffries said:
I've read about tearing in some Samsung LExxR41BDX series TV's. However, mines a strange one and I wonder if anyone else has this?

- When using DTV/Freeview, very occasionally there is a glitch in the picture unrelated to poor reception. It affects a single picture frame and is usually made up of some green lines. Happens only at an instant and intermittently.

-Rarer still, the TV has switched itself off one before while in Freeview.

I think the TV is great apart from this. I'm on my second set which makes me think it is a firmware issue.

Anyone else noticed any unusual glitches while watching DTV?
I'm at a loss as to what to do :confused:

Example picture of glitch:

Hmmmm I have a netgem freeview STB and it used to have exactly the same "greenflash" problem, until it was solved by a software update. The problem stemmed from the IBM STB02500 processor which had a bug in the microcode. wonder if this is a similar issue, since the Samsung SIR-U200I STB uses same IBM processor and I saw reports of green flash problem on digitalspy. Samsung may be using same chip in the IDTVs. IBM are aware of the problem and have new microcode available so may be worth checking with samsung as they should be able to cure this with a software update.

strange... i to had green flashes last night as well for the first time... as a matter of interest anyone remember what time or what they were watching,just in case it was some sort of interference with the free view signal...

Rang samsung about this today, guy was very helpfull, spoke to an engineer and told me it was a fault and that he could book it in for repair, 5-7 days turnaround. Not sure what to do, put up with it (To me not a major annoyance but would like it sorted) or be without TV for 1-2 weeks, in fairness quoted repair times are never accurate.

Might wait till after xmas and sort it out then as tv is only 2 months old, and flash only happens every 10-15 minutes for half a second.Plus am getting my Tivo from e-bay tomorrow too :thumbsup: and cant wait to play with it :)

K_S said:
Rang samsung about this today, guy was very helpfull, spoke to an engineer and told me it was a fault and that he could book it in for repair, 5-7 days turnaround. Not sure what to do, put up with it (To me not a major annoyance but would like it sorted) or be without TV for 1-2 weeks, in fairness quoted repair times are never accurate.

Might wait till after xmas and sort it out then as tv is only 2 months old, and flash only happens every 10-15 minutes for half a second.Plus am getting my Tivo from e-bay tomorrow too :thumbsup: and cant wait to play with it :)

Im assuming whether you queried if a firmware upgrade was available via disc/post etc?

bonc said:
Im assuming whether you queried if a firmware upgrade was available via disc/post etc?

Mmmm no was ringing from work and got pushed for time on the phone, might ring back this afternoon and ask again. Thing is im not sure if they are aware of a problem or if they just said to send off for repair just to pacify me.

These Forums are great and all but if I had'nt read about this glitch I probobly would just put up with it as "one of those things" not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing to tell the truth, if you know what I mean.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom