Samsung LE26R41BD V Sony 26 S Series

WhiteHartMart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have been considering getting the Samsung for a while now but was suprised to see that the Sony is only approx £150 more now. I have little chance of seeing them in a side by side comparison and was looking for peoples views on the pros and cons of each. Would love the Panasonic LXD500 but £1000 is a bit out of reach at the mo. Also the latest JVC DS6 although I read on here that it wasn't at its best when used as a PC monitor.

As for use, the majority of the time it will be for my Xbox 360 (when it arrives), with a fair bit of Freeview use also. As it will be connected to my PC it also needs to be competent when used as a monitor.

Any thoughts?? :lease:

74 views and no comments yet?? - surely someone has an opinion!

There I go again - Mr 'I've got no patience'!! Sorry guys but could do with some advice before I part with me cash! :smashin:

Well I had the samsung for a month before sending It back due to the screen tearing in 720p (been fixed now with a firmware upgrade). And I demoed a Sony S series at the beginning of the week and have just purchased one. Differences in my eyes is the sony has a better response time which was clearly noticable when trying out soul calibur 2 on it in 720p. The samsung ain`t no slouch though. The image from the sony seemed brighter imo plus the sony gives you the option of a manual backlight adjustment if you want it where with the samsung you have to relay on the backlight sensor which imo dims the screen to much in the evening. Overall though you can`t go wrong with either but If you have the extra money go for the sony. But I`d still recommend you take your own equipment down to a sony centre and ask to demo one and decide for yourself.

Thanks for that - I have just been to look at the Sony and couldn't resist a quick look at the Panny either.

Sony Centre said they will price match any price (even internet ones) with a reduction in their warranty to 1 year. I have seen the Sony for £799 which seems a good price. They had a decent set up for the V series but crappy Freeview for the S. They didn't even realise that the V didn't have a PC input!!

Went and had a look at the Panny and they fed a High Def signal from a Jap HDD and the picture was amazing. Only problem is the fact that this TV is several hundred pounds more.

Tempted to go for the Sony - but need a few more days to decide! :)

Thats not a bad deal the sony centre is offering you as they wouldn`t price match when I asked. The cheapest they would do it for me was £999.99 same as sonystyle. At the end of the day It`s down to what your main usuage Is gonna be. If It`s mainly TV then you could go either way with the sony or panasonic. If your gonna be playing videogames then the sony is gonna be the top choice due to the faster response time. As the panasonic is around the 14ms mark compared to the sony`s 8ms.

The Panasonic is an excellent TV - the picture is terrific when set up properly - but in my (admittedly limited) observations I have never seen image lag on the S-series as opposed to very rare image lag seen with the Panny. (The Sony picture can arguably be just as good.) The Samsung's picture seemed darker than all the others and seemed worse than the Panny's in a side-by-side comparison, which has put me off the Samsung model (though I'm still willing to reconsider!).

I'm soon to make a purchase and it's almost certain it's going to be the 26" Sony S-series since it (to me) is the best price/performance option out of the current models.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom