1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung LE26R41BD Questions

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by dirk_diggler>>>, Sep 18, 2005.

1. dirk_diggler>>>

dirk_diggler>>>

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking of buying one of these, does anyone know if they are any good, cheers :confused:

2. chrisnic0

chrisnic0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi, im in the market for a HD monitor/TV.
    I am torn between the Dell 2405 24"
    and the Samsung LE26R41BD 26"

The main use will be as a PC monitor, but I also want to watch TV and DVD movies etc. and in the future PS3 poss Xbox 360.
    PC - 65% TV - 10% DVD - 25%
    I have heard the PS3 will connect via DVI which the Samsung lacks.

Would the PS3 connect directly to the dell via DVI?
    Does the Samsung have the Tearing issues which its big brother the 32" suffers from?
    Has anyone got a 23"/26"/32" set up via there PC if so could you please comment on the IQ and possibly post a pic?

Also cost the dell is £200 more expensive, arghhhhhhhhhh
    Im really stuck and i get paid tomorrow please :lease: can some one help me make up my mind.
    Anyone who has one of these screens please comment on your experiences/problems etc.
    Thanks very much
    Nico

3. dllord

dllord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The Samsung has HDMI which is better than DVI and is easy to convert to DVI, the PS3 will use HDMI not DVI. The Samsung has Component inputs aswell so can be used for the Xbox 360 when it comes out!

Get the Samsung!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you get a Samsung with that tearing problem that you are talking, it can be updated with software from Samsung!

4. m1ket

m1ket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    hmm not sure i agree if his primary use is on a pc the resolution of the samsung is very low for pc use, also hdmi to dvi convers are available BUT the samsung supports HDCP which is the encryption technology used for protected content (ie blue ray movies) in the future where the dell does not

so..

1, get the dell enjoy huge res on your pc and connect the xbox (using component) or ps3 using HDLI to dvi convereter (bither are the same digital technology) but it would only accept protected contenet from the ps3 at 480p

2, get the samsung tv and connect the ps3 using hdmi and the res more closely match 720p so the picture should be great but using it as a monitor will be a pain

I am in exactly the same situation and cant decide :lesson:

Im currently leaning toward the samsung tv for the reasons dllord mentioned but i have a 17" lcd monitor for my pc already

5. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to jump in on this one but im in a similair situation too! Waiting on the Xbox 360 coming out & decided today that instead of using it with my 32"CRT, or spending 2K plus on a HD Ready plasma before i can afford it, i'm gunna get a 26" or 30/32" LCD. Main reason is that it'll save a fortune in the short-term against a plasma and also double up as a PC monitor/games screen in my study.

Just wondered if anybody had any comments on how suitable the LE26R41, or LE32R41/51 would be for this. (also if the R41/R51 have the same response times, keep reading different views on this).

Plan eventually when Sky HD arrives is to get a Pio 436 to use with Sky & Xbox 360....the LCD would then go in bedroom as TV.

6. stu.artd

stu.artd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +328
    I had the same choice to make and chose the Dell 2405 as I wanted a higher resolution main monitor for my PC, I already had a 3 yr old 18" TFT monitor.

I am using this monitor just now with a 7.5" PiP window in the top right (but can be any corner) displaying TV (football highlights) through a component input from the back of my TV that sits behind me.

I also have my XBox, PS2 and Gamecybe all connected to the component inputs through a component switch. At normal console gaming distance of about 1.5 metres the picture looks pretty good in my opinion (and definitely better than I thought it would) despite the source material leaving a lot to be desired in terms of resolution/jaggies etc...

I'll be getting an XBox 360 and hooking that up through component or the VGA cable that's currently not connected to anything, I'm yet to decide how I'll attach the PS3 when I get that. The DVI port on the 2405 is not HDCP compliant so will not playback protected HD content, but that's of little concern to me as I'll initially be using the PS3 solely for gaming.

If the main reason, as indicated in your post, for the purchase is for a PC monitor then I say get the Dell. Bear in mind it's a16:10 display and not a 16:9 one though.

7. chrisnic0

chrisnic0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    thanks very much for ur comments guys but still i cant decide,
    I know it asking alot but could some one possibly hook up there PC to there Samsung and take a pic?
    Its just i cant really drag mine down to currys lol!
    stu.artd could you poss post a pic of ur current set up im intrigued by the consoles IQ on the dell.
    Sorry one last thing how much did urs set u back if u dont mind me asking?
    I can get the Samsung for £640
    Thanks
    Nico

8. dirk_diggler>>>

dirk_diggler>>>

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So does anyone actually use one of these for normal tv use cuz i'd really like to know what they perform like thanks.

9. ThePimpmaster

ThePimpmaster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 51 version, its good enough with TV :)

10. agent O

agent O
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i have this TV. i watch sky via RGB scart, ps2 via component(very nice) and dvd via s-video (also nice). very pleased with it so far. cant wait for something to plug into hdmi to really show off this screen.

11. Nash__

Nash__

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Recieved my LE32R41 Saturday and PQ via HDMI is superb, PQ via fully wired scart from Sky is a bit hit and miss but I think it's Sky causing the problem not the TV. The TV generally looks superb. I have compared PQ to my Dell PC monitor I have watched DVD's on and the samsung is spot on. Looking forward to receiveing advice on best connection from Sky to TV (i.e RGB only scart and which one) and HDTV when available. Cost me £800 ish from Digi-UK last week and worth every penny :clap:

Nash

12. dirk_diggler>>>

dirk_diggler>>>

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent thanks for your input, I think I'll go buy one then :thumbsup:

13. Nash__

Nash__

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Also this might help - looks pretty good even for sky :clap:

Attached Files:

14. stu.artd

stu.artd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +328
    There are a few pics I took for a friend showing the PC running firefox with TV in PiP window. I've not taken any pics of the consoles running at all.

There pics are linked below, they are slightly over compressed though

http://stuartd.smugmug.com/photos/34634986-L.jpg

http://stuartd.smugmug.com/photos/35134922-L.jpg

I paid £750 for my 2405, but you can get it for less than that now as the place I bought it have it on special and in stock for £704 (that's inc VAT) and another place has it cheaper still, but no stock.

I bought from http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_This_Week_Only_25.html and the cheapest place I've seen it is http://www.itcsales.co.uk/acatalog/20__TFT_Displays.html

Bear in mind the ocuk special offer changes on Thursdays, and they don't have the best support I've experienced.

15. dirk_diggler>>>

dirk_diggler>>>

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I agree looks pretty good from the photo.

16. Lord Midas

Lord Midas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Nashmon, did you pay £800 for the TV?!

I've just looked around and Empiredirect.co.uk is doing it LE-26R41BD for £620! And 247electrical.co.uk is doing theirs for £625!

I'm getting one for the bedroom this next week (well, the missus is paying for it :thumbsup: )