1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung LE26R41BD flicker?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Stereo Steve, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    JUst got htis set and am might impressed generally. However, I have noticed a slight flicker at the top of the picture. It happens when the top of the screen is dark or black and looks like the top line of pixels is flashing white occcasionally. It's barely noticable really but has started to bug me. I put it down to bad Freeview reception at first but have noticed it on DVD's too.

Apologies if this is a known issue that has been discussed. I searched but couldn't find any similar threads. Anyone else noticed this or is my set dodgy? I also get the odd green flash on the screen which I think may well be DTV interference and it happens so rarely it doesn't bother me.

2. smallmanongn

smallmanongn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This has been mentioned before if I remember correctly.

3. Breeza

Breeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Did you get any further with this?

Just got a 26" version and I get exactly the same white flash on the top line.

4. scutter

scutter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get exactly the same thing as well, although I have noticed it do it once or twice on the botttom edge of the screen as well. It bugs me no end, especially during darker scenes if I'm watching a DVD. I can barely concentrate on what's happening because my eyes keep moving to the white flashes.

5. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I've mentioned it in another thread but add me to the list. Happens on Sky through RGB scart quite frequently and also on DVDs through HDMI at any resolution. Only occurs on material that fills the screen (not 2.35:1 DVDs or Sky). Also, it is annoyingly random. Put Sin City on last night and it was there all the time. Played it again 20 minutes later and it had totally vanished; didn't change any settings or anything.

6. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    It's interesting that this problem hasn't been mentioned before and only seems to be affecting brand new 26" sets. Therefore the problem could lie in the new Nov 4 2005 firmware.

7. scutter

scutter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I sincerely hope it is the firmware because at least then you could update it or something. Or even roll back to the previous version.

Although I don't even know yet how to check what firmware I have, how to update it, or, well, anything really. Can anyone help?

8. garyf

garyf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can check the firmware by switching the tv into standby using the button on the remote. then press INFO, MENU, MUTE and then POWER on the remote. You will then see a list of settings including your firmware. DO NOT TRY AND CHANGE ANYTHING YOU SEE. You can then exit that view by pressing POWER again.

9. Breeza

Breeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Mine has the Nov 4th firmware.

I spoke to Samsung last week and they thought it was probably a fault and advised me to get a replacement. (Talked to them again today and it is definately not a "known" fault - ... yet ...)

Stereo Steve had his PCB replaced by Samsung and that has resolved the problem.

10. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yep, mine was a fault, now cured by a new PCB done under warranty.

11. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    How did you go about getting this done? Did you contact Samsung directly or go to the retailer you bought it from?

12. scutter

scutter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good news! I contacted Samsung and I was told rather quickly that it was to do with some kind of loose connection somewhere. A technician guy is calling me back on Thursday (my day off) to talk me through how to fix it myself. Which is weird, but what the hell. If it fixes it, I'm happy.

13. bonc

bonc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek:

do tell all scutter, when u can

I assume this is related to the green flash problem???

14. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    How is it connected to the Green Flash problem??? I've asked about that in another thread and no one has the answer to that....

15. scutter

scutter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought I'd give anyone suffering from this problem a little update. I had a lot of trouble with Samsung since I first contacted them. I never did get a call back and in the end a technician ended up coming round here yesterday. I wasn't home myself, so I couldn't show him the problem, and he was using a widescreen image to test the set, which of course it wouldn't show up on because of the black bars. Duh. But I got some kind of PCB board replaced, which did bugger all. So now I've got them coming over again on Monday to replace the panel itself. I really do hope this solves it.

As for the green flash, I actually started to notice that myself after I'd read about on here. Only seems to happen on Freeview with me. Although I suppose it could happen on analogue TV as well. I don't watch it though. I've got no idea if the two are connected in some way. I'll post another update on Monday night.

16. leejay

leejay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a kind of same problem, when im watching the tv sometimes the picture goes dark then all of a sudden flickers to quite bright, on dynamic contrast, light sensor off can any 1 else help ?

many thanks